[Review] KVE-60C (MFJ-223) VNA Antenna Analyser

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

[Review] KVE-60C (MFJ-223) VNA Antenna Analyser

Post by VK5IR »

Hi guys

If you're in the market for an HF antenna analyser, have a look at the KVE-60C. I borrowed one from a fellow ham to see what they were like and I'm going to buy one.

I have no affiliation with the manufacturer or the seller, I just came across one and I think they're pretty bloody cool! I was initially looking at getting a YouKits FG-01 however the 60C looks to be a bit slimmer and has a bigger screen.

Prior to borrowing this one, I noticed there was very little info on them online and there was no video on YouTube so I decided to do one myself. I've never done a review, so there was no planning, scripting or thought given to the content of the review prior to recording, so it was off the bat and a bit rough-as-guts.

Hope it helps anyone in the market one of these devices. Also, for what it's worth, the KVE-520 VHF/UHF model has just been released.

Enjoy

Theo
VK5IR
VK2GOM

Re: [Review] KVE-60C (MFJ-223) VNA Antenna Analyser

Post by VK2GOM »

Interesting review Theo, thanks for recording it. I see this device badged as a few different manufacturers on eBay. What I did notice though in a lot of the eBay pictures was the example sweep on the screen showing as doglegs and straight lines. That immediately put me off, but seeing it in action on your video, the sweep does look high resolution and none of these 'doglegs' I was expecting given the pictures on eBay.

It certainly looks like more of a serious measurement tool than the YouKits FG-01.

What would be interesting would be to get some precision loads, or even just use the same antenna for reference purposes, and compare the results of one of these, an FG-01, and a SARK110 in the same video 8)

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I have a SARK-110.
http://sark110.ea4frb.eu/

It's a really nice little piece of equipment. Of course everybody knows the top frequency is 200MHz.
If it was 500MHz you wouldn't walk past them.

I have an anritsu sitemaster for 25-4000MHz, and the SARK performs just as well (actually better) than the sitemaster for that overlap. (more information).
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2GOM wrote:...
What would be interesting would be to get some precision loads, or even just use the same antenna for reference purposes, and compare the results of one of these, an FG-01, and a SARK110 in the same video
SARC110.jpg
A correspondent sent me a pic of a SARC110 in action measuring the common mode impedance of a transmission line stub.

Note the green reactance line is scaled from - to +, ie the instrument measures not just the magnitude of reactance, but also the sign of the reactance. That feature differentiates it from the other insturments you mentioned.

Owen
VK2FABS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2FABS »

Thanks Theo for the Youtube clip. Very nicely done and run-down on the operation.

This KVE-60C looked interesting and I note from their FB page (Yes, FB!) that it's being rebadged by MFJ. Probably explains why the original KVE-60C got taken off the US market (largely).

Quite a bit of money for a lot of convenience (for a noob).

KVE-520 is comparably priced but limited to VHF/UHF. Shame that they don't have a unit that covers HF to UHF.
http://www.409shop.com/409shop_product.php?id=122270
Weiyun VK2FABS