SK: VK4ZAA

A place to remember those who have become a Silent Key (SK)
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

SK: VK4ZAA

Post by VK4WTN »

It is with great regret that I have been informed that Mick VK4ZAA has passed away today. Its been a bad week for the amateur radio fraternity. Many of the 6 meter guys will remember Mick. He was issued the first Z call in VK4 and was a keen 6 meter operator for nearly half a century. Our deepest sympathies go to Micks family. RIP Mick
wayne VK4WTN
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Re: VK4ZAA SK

Post by VK4ADC »

Mick was one of those real gentlemen, the type you rarely meet these days.

I first came across Mick in the mid/late 1960's before I was licensed and then he was one of my earliest 6M AM contacts back in 1967. I have lost count of the number of contacts we have made over the years since then and I last saw and spoke to him at Barcfest '14, just a few months ago, when he joked with me about working the JA DX a few weeks beforehand.

His cheerful voice calling "CQ SIX" will be sorely missed.

SK
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

Greetings to all!

I was also saddened to hear of Mick's passing. I (and many others) knew him personally from VHF Group meetings in the 1980s and 1990s, and for many years he would be reliably appear (from his home) on 144 MHz during field contests to give out a few numbers. I would stop contesting for a few minutes just to ‘catch up’ with Mick.

As others have already said, he was a true gentleman and loyal radio amateur. He will surely be missed!

There is a bit more about Mick that can be read at the Brisbane VHF Group's pages at: http://brisbanevhfgroup.com/

Does anyone know yet about funeral arrangements?

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.
VK4REX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4REX »

I would also like to pass my condolences at the passing of Mick.
He was a true gentleman, and was my mentor when I was 15 (1965) and getting into amateur radio.
I fondly remember those pair of 807's glowing in the 6 meter amplifier and the numerous preamps (all valve) that he had constructed.
Both Mick and Tommy Lane (VK4ZAL) along with Bill VK4ZBD helped me greatly in those early and informative years of AR.
Enjoy your peaceful life now Mick

Rex
VK4OE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4OE »

I have just now heard from long time friend of Mick, Bill VK4ZWJ, about the funeral arrangements for Mick.

All friends of Mick who wish to help celebrate his life, particularly the amateur radio side of his life, are welcome to attend the service to be held at the Albany Creek Crematorium, Garden Chapel, this coming Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.

There will be notices published in newspapers, possibly on Saturday and on Monday.

Very best wishes to all,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Sad to hear of the passing of Mick, VK4ZAA.
I first worked Mick on 6M (where else!) on 12th of May 1959 and many times after that when I was VK3ZGH. Valves, 90 watts AM, quad antenna etc. Good times.
He was a gentleman, always had time for a chat even in the middle of a brief opening to VK4.
Vale Mick

Nev
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Francis John, 'Mick', was seen off on his final QSY today by the following VK4s... CV, OE, ZP, ZQ, ACG, ADC, APG, KLC, ZWJ, with about 25 others in attendance.

We heard about his life, his interests and his involvement in amateur radio since the mid-1950s. There were some good tales with laughs thrown in, all too reminiscent of Mick's style of humor.

VK4ZAA (SK)...
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com