VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Cheap and powerful mini computers

Post by VK4TI »

Just ordered mine , solves several problems http://www.solid-run.com/
VK2GOM

Re: Cheap and powerful mini computers

Post by VK2GOM »

Interesting... competition to the Raspberry PI by the looks of things.

Only one observation - the description is a bit misleading using 'mini computer'.

In IT tech, microcomputers (like your home PC) are bottom of the performance ladder, followed by the 'mini computer', then the 'mainframe'. At least that's what I was taught at Uni.

It's certainly 'mini' but in a different context 8)

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

[quote="VK2GOM"...
In IT tech, microcomputers (like your home PC) are bottom of the performance ladder, followed by the 'mini computer', then the 'mainframe'. At least that's what I was taught at Uni.
...[/quote]

Ah, the days when the BUNCH (Burroughs, Unisys, NCR, CDC, and Honeywell) occuped the big iron market, well besides whats their name (and clones... Fuji, National, Amdhal).

Minis like Prime, DEC/Digital, ICL, Data General, HP IBM S/x & AS* etc came and went, minis disappeared and *UX mid-range was going to take over the world.

Owen
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2GOM wrote:Interesting... competition to the Raspberry PI by the looks of things.

Only one observation - the description is a bit misleading using 'mini computer'.

It's certainly 'mini' but in a different context 8)

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
I can't buy the hardware wholesale anywhere near the price , many uses about the home and shack so might as well share
VK3AZZ

Post by VK3AZZ »

Hi,
Which model did you buy, and what purposes are you going to use the computer for ?

Cheers,
Mal
VK3AZZ