2 metre SSB Scramble.

2m & 70cm discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

2 metre SSB Scramble.

Post by VK3KH »

With the success of the 144.150 net on Wednesday night, there has been wide support for a regular 2 metre scramble. Please find set out below a draft set of rules for people to look over and consider.
Please remember, everyone will have different opinions on different parts of these rules. In general, however I would like comment on areas where I may have made a major mistake or oversight, or if there are parts of these rules that are hard to understand. Anyone with such comment can either post it here, or contact me via email. My email address is the in the operators info section.
If you do not understand the Maidenhead gridsquares then please refer to the VK Loggers excellent info page at:
http://www.vklogger.com/agt/info.php

Any feedback will be considered. It is envisaged that the first scramble will be conducted on Sunday 26th October, 2008. Watch this space!

2 METRE SSB SOUTH EAST SCRAMBLE.

WHEN: Last Sunday Night of Each month
- 1030UTC to 1045UTC (8.30pm – 8.45pm AEST) April to September
- 0930UTC to 0945UTC (8.30pm - 8.45pm During Daylight Saving times)
15 minutes Only, with call back from 8.45 till 9.00pm. on 144.150MHz

GENERAL RULES:
1. Work each station only once. Exchange will be RS report plus 4 digit Maidenhead locator.
2. Each month there will be a bonus station worth 2 points.
3. Operation will be between 144.110 and 144.200 on USB.
4. Power output is maximum 100watts PEP

SCORING: 1.Each gridsquare worked will act as a multiplier.
2. Scoring will be: (number of QSO)x( number of grid squares worked)
3. The bonus station will count as two QSO.

BONUS STATION.
The winner each month will be the bonus station, and the callback controller, for the following month’s scramble
They are excluded from winning in the month they are bonus station.

COMMENTS.
The objective of the 2 metre scramble is to have fun and to promote activity on the two metre band.
It is hoped stations will be encouraged to improve their operating conditions to improve their scores.

Michael Coleman
VK3KH
Last edited by VK3KH on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
VK3UH
Forum Novice

Re: 2 metre SSB Scramble.

Post by VK3UH »

Hello, Michael and all.
The only problem I can see with the draft rules is that the scramble (and callback) coincides with the Eastern Zone ARC net held on VK3RLV at that time each Sunday night. At a guess, I would say this would affect 3, or 4 at most, potential participants (and possibly not for every scramble in all honesty). All these would be in QF31.

I am certain that trying to accommodate this long standing net would fix one problem and create lots more!

Thanks for reviving the '150 net, and also for the scramble, I hope both flourish.
Regards,
Ken
VK3DMW

PS: EDIT - The revised start time to 8-30pm local time should alleviate any conflict, as the net is normally finished by then.
Now to fix the yagi when the wind stops...................... :roll:
Last edited by VK3UH on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Hi All,
Please note change of time in the Draft Rules in the original posting. Start time now is proposed to be 1030UTC, half an hour later on Sunday nite. This will fit in after the Eastern net.

Michael Coleman
VK3KH
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Only 15 minutes?
You wouldn't want a slow rotator! :wink:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

Or nothing at all...!!! :D :(

Mine are both fixed beaming NNE..... :?
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Hi Adam and Nik,
The aim is to encourage operators to improve their stations (including the advantages of a rotator).
Why 15 minutes? Without knowing how many operators will participate, it was thought a short sharp event would be more appealing. Consider it like 20/20 cricket.
If involvement is much higher than expected then we can always extend the time in later events.

Michael
VK3KH
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

VK3KH wrote:The aim is to encourage operators to improve their stations.
Then you shouldn't limit power to less than the (Advanced) legal limit either?
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

VK3KH wrote:1030UTC to 1045UTC (8.30pm – 8.45pm AEST)
It might be better to quote times in AES/DT (err, Local Time). From next Sunday, 1030UTC = 9.30pm AEDT.

Regards,
Dave.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3HZ wrote:It might be better to quote times in AES/DT (err, Local Time). From next Sunday, 1030UTC = 9.30pm AEDT.
Dave, why is that?
Every amateur should be familiar with UTC, and it does avoid any confusion, especially when Daylight Savings is operational.

I see many comments posted on the Logger using local times, and it's confusing to say the least.
Most shacks have (should have) at least one clock set to UTC.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK1XX
Forum Novice

Post by VK1XX »

UTC!

especially with all these different time zones.
The logger is in UTC. makes sense. I once heard a US ham ask what time UTC it was where I was.
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

My post was badly worded. My point was that the event should start at the same Local Time (VK3), regardless of DST. Quoting a single UTC time doesn't achieve that.

Regarding the different times zones, the Scramble is only likely to involve stations in VK1, VK2, VK3, VK5 and VK7. Those states all switch to DST on the same date, so the Local Time should remain in sync (VK5's 1/2 hour offset excepted, of course).

Regards,
Dave.
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Hi All,
Thanks for the comments on start time. The intention was always to start at South East local time of 8.30pm. I used UTC in an effort to use a standard time reference, then promptly forgot that Daylight savings starts this weekend. I have adjusted the rules accordingly.
I would suspect that in Summer it is possible to be joined by VK4 & VK6 via propogation.

David, the rules are a work in progress, and it was thought that a limit of 100w may avoid discouraging newer stations in the first few months of the scramble.
This rule could then be relaxed later.
I do invite more comment on this.

Michael
VK3KH
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Well, its happening! Sunday 26th October at 8.30pm local time.Remember its day light savings in Victoria.
The rules are as posted above. There will be a bonus station on the first night, and the identity of the Bonus station will be announced closer to the date.
Please pass the rules on to all who may be interested, and we look forward to hearing from lots of stations on the call back after the scramble.

73's
VK3KH
Michael Coleman
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

And there might be a number of people fresh back from the BARG Hamfest that day busting to try out some of their new gear! :D
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Here is the info on the initial event on 26th October. Please open the attachment.

VK3KH
Michael Coleman
Attachments
SCRAMBLE POSTER.pdf
(94.75 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3XL »

good work Micheal... I will try to be there on Sunday night, although I will be operating vertical only as I have yet to get the tower up and the 2 meter beam etc... Should be fun.... I used to participate in the scrambles back in the 80's and really looked forward to them, lets hope they are popular again and become a regular monthly event.
73 Mike
VK3XL
73 Mike
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

A REMINDER TO ALL.
THE 2 METRE SSB SCRAMBLE IS ON TOMORROW NITE AT 8.30pm Aust Eastern Dalight Savings Time (930UTC)
The Operating guidelines are posted earlier on this thread. All are welcolme and look out for the Bonus Station, worth 2 contacts.

Michael Coleman
VK3KH
VK3FASW

Post by VK3FASW »

Well im going to be there! Armstrong rotator and a massive 3.5 W from the 290r!!! ( anyone have a spare 10W amp?? LOL )

Andre
Vk3FASW
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Hi All,
Thanks to all stations who checked in on the call back tonite after our first 2 metre SSB Sprint. 21 stations tendered scores, and the winner is;
Jim VK3II with 61 points.
Congratulations to Jim.

To all those who have not scrambled before, I hope you enjoyed your first effort. Don't be disappointed if you did not get many points, remember you are competing against yourself as much as against other. This should encourage you to work on ways to improve your score next time. I did notice some comments about rotators!!

Most important of all, I hope you had fun.

Michael
VK3KH
VK3VOL

Post by VK3VOL »

Thanks Michael, I thoroughly enjoyed my first ever scramble..it wasn't what I expected and proved a little tougher than what I thought too, but it's good practice, I think having one other station relaying the callbacks etc' to the east as you did is a good idea, I know you where rotating your beam to try and suit all participants but there were a few times I couldn't copy you well at all but that's radio and it was still great fun. I'm going to head down to the "Toy Shop" in the near future to see if I can get something that might improve my station's antenna set up for next months scramble.
Cheers;
Richard VK3VOL