$$ sponsored reference locking beacons?

Amateur beacons
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

$$ sponsored reference locking beacons?

Post by VK3BQ »

reference locking beacons form the microwave list? posted to generate discussion and share the info!

Gidday all,
this Promotional Posting is to advise you all that Alan –
VK3XPD and the Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) have joined in a
collaborative financial arrangement to implement GPS Locking into the VK
Beacon network.

So, are you a Beacon Owner ?
Would you like to improve Amateur Radio and receive $200 for your efforts ?

Full details of this Proposal including the "Elgibility Criteria" can be
found on my very basic Website at... rfresale.com

Details will also be Posted on the WIA Website - "in due course".
The Proposal will also be publicised in July's AR, the WIA Broadcasts
and at GIPPSTECH.

I look forward to seeing how many Beacons we can get updated to full GPS
Locking before the next Propagation season starts !!!

Go to it !!!

Cheers,

Alan - VK3XPD.

Alan Devlin - RETIRED.

Formerly Trading as RF RESALE !
Melbourne, Australia.

WEB PAGE URL - http://www.rfresale.com
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK2KRR

Re: $$ sponsored reference locking beacons?

Post by VK2KRR »

While locking beacons would help, it would be more beneficial for amateur radio if people were shown to be active on the air on 2/70/23 cm more often, not just 4 times a year or less in a field day, or one or two days during summer when the conditions are good. Unfortunately Ive spoken to people who refuse to put together stations for anything higher than the 2m band, because, as they say, there is not enough people to make contacts with. :cry: Not a good trend im afraid.
I'd suggest something like, not even an Annual Grid Square comp, but a Monthly Grid Square competition! Although 6 monthly could work better for those with limited time in shack.
before the next Propagation season starts !!!

Thats what im saying. There is propagation all the time. The best microwave propagation ive noticed is in winter and other colder months if ur around at the right times, which most people aren't.

To 'improve' amateur radio, if locking beacons, its then possible to run them on WSPR mode. This would have a positive effect for amateur radio, but I fear it could make it to easy :o and im not sure if thats a good thing either. I think this only really would be useful on the base band of 144 MHz, as once people know things are moving on 2m they can check higher bands. There would be many advantages of running 2m beacons with WSPR (in TX only mode, no RX.)

- Reduced power costs due to power of less than 10W would be sufficient. And because there would be a much less time spent transmitting.
- Weak signal digital mode, heard easier in more places.
- Instant feedback from others as to who is hearing your beacon, and what the band conditions are like.
- Stations listening for beacons need only monitor a SINGLE frequency for all beacons.
- Huge amount of data able to be obtained 24 hrs a day, through the night etc from those willing to monitor full time and upload data.
- You can still set up a CW ID at the end of each 2 min TX period.
- And more...

Digest those discussion points... :thumbup: