Consider this antenna for multi band HF

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
G4VZV

Consider this antenna for multi band HF

Post by G4VZV »

Check out this antenna for multi band HF - The M0PLK Multi Band Delta Loop. This is some antenna and good for DX puts out a super signal. I bought one of these antennas from the guy who lives in the UK .....Its same as the ones now being made by VPA Antenna systems in Poland. Also read the reviews on eham. You will be amazed.
Anyone else got one of these ??
VK2GOM

Re: Consider this antenna for multi band HF

Post by VK2GOM »

I'm always wary of comments like '4 to 5 S-points lower band noise' :?

Can that actual 'noise' really be defined by the reviewer? Is it local? atmospheric noise? Distant QRN?

To make an inefficient antenna is quite easy, and that too will be a quiet antenna with 4-5 S points lower 'noise'...

There doesn't seem to be any magic going on with this antenna. As far as I can see it's basically just a delta loop feed by a wideband balun, that still needs a separate antenna matching unit to operate.

But the old mantra of any antenna is better than no antenna still rings true.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all....

Well they do say Loops will be that little bit quieter....but not sure there is any actual proof of this....

As you say Rob, antenna gain , height and all sorts of things may effect it....I hope the noise tests were conducted on the same site as any comparison antenna.......one thing not mentioned...what was the comparison in signal strength.....In fact..the guy that claims 4-5 S points down in noise...can only say...loud signals....why no ..S meter reading as he did with noise.....on its recommended bands....there are beacons everywhere that could be used for a test..

Delta loops have been around a long time, so I assume they do work....to some point..

John
Last edited by VK2FAK on Fri May 30, 2014 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

Someone please pass the popcorn, while we wait for Owen to disassemble these claims :)
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK2CSW wrote:Someone please pass the popcorn, while we wait for Owen to disassemble these claims :)
We need this emoticon:
Attachments
new_popcornsmiley.gif
new_popcornsmiley.gif (1.45 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

The same antenna has been discussed in another post under my name. My interest was prodded when I worked a G stn on 15m who was using one and his signal nearly blew me out of the shack. I started to build one but it morphed into a 2 el 10m yagi. I still intend to build one though, it is certainly interesting.

I have used horizontal loops here and there is absolutely no doubt that they are quieter on receive than my vertical, but on 40m at least, the transmitted signal is usually weaker than the vertical.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

Wayne...hope you have that 2 el on a strong pole, just in case one late night it morphs into an 8 el yagi...

I still play with my Vert. Rect. loop...so I most certainly don't right these things off.....

John