2014 Winter Field Day

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

2014 Winter Field Day

Post by VK4ADC »

http://www.wia.org.au/members/contests/vhfuhf/

This is a must-read web page this time around... or read the rules in the recent AR magazine.

This is only a few weeks away now - 21/22 June - so it's time to get the preparations under way, including updating your VKLogger portable profile to reflect your FD QTH.

This one is different in that there are two divisions to cope with the older grid-square scoring versus distance scoring. Ideally a minimum of 6 character grid info exchanges, 8 character if you can.

There should be a new version of VKCL available beforehand for download to cope with the revised logging arrangements : http://www.mnds.com.au/vkcl/
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK2AVR

Re: 2014 Winter Field Day

Post by VK2AVR »

Looking forward to it! I will be submitting my logs under both grid and distance based scoring to see what the difference is. I like the idea of distance scoring since my location is in the middle of a grid square, look forward to seeing how it shakes out.

The VKCL software is great, used it for the first time last field day and I'll never go back to paper logs.
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ZAZ »

MWFD down south past two three years been waste of time. Same old stations and never turn beams out west 6 and 2M even less activity over border in SA.
Tread your own path :om:
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

the SA guys were one of the driving forces for the distance rules steve *feeling hard done by with the lack of diverse grid square operators" so I guess that means they are all set for the contest weekend. we should see hundreds of VK5 stations active...

a bit cold to be above 1000m in vk3 though (unless this global warming thing really has set in and our barmy weather continues). i understand at this point vk3er/p wont be venturing out, though ill hand out numbers from home.
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CRO »

City of Brisbane Radio society Inc. VK4WIE will operate from Mt Gravatt Lookout
in the 8 hr section on Saturday -- 6m 2m 70cm 1296 2.4ghz 10ghz
hope to hear lots of you!
Ron vk4cro
Cheers
Ron cro
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

Weather permitting I'll be out. Probably Olivers Hill (which worked so well last time even though it's not that high). Haven't decided whether Sat afternoon or Sun morning.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

the SA guys were one of the driving forces for the distance rules steve *feeling hard done by with the lack of diverse grid square operators" so I guess that means they are all set for the contest weekend. we should see hundreds of VK5 stations active...
I am guessing the SA guys referred to above are from the South East Radio Group as no-one I am aware of in Adelaide has pushed distance scoring. Anyway it should make for some interesting results. As for there being hundreds of VK5s out....all I can say is don't hold your breath.....in my experience you either like contesting or you don't, irrespective of scoring method.

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

The Sunshine Coast ARC VK4WIS is still not sure about the winter field day yet because it falls on the same weekend as Rally Q and most of our gear and operators will be in the bush near Gympie doing comm's for the rally.
We might do an 8hr on Saturday from Howells Knob QG63JF if we can find the gear and operators but I think it will be a no go for us this time. It will end up being a last minute decision so I really hope it's a go.
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Hi Robert, I've got a SES commitment on the Saturday, but Sunday morning might be goer, like you it will be a last minute decision. It would be good to try some 24ghz from 'the knob'.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

VK4LHD wrote:The Sunshine Coast ARC VK4WIS is still not sure about the winter field day yet because it falls on the same weekend as Rally Q and most of our gear and operators will be in the bush near Gympie doing comm's for the rally.
We might do an 8hr on Saturday from Howells Knob QG63JF if we can find the gear and operators but I think it will be a no go for us this time. It will end up being a last minute decision so I really hope it's a go.
We have had a bit of a discussion and it looks like the Sunshine Coast ARC will now do an 8Hr on Saturday from the start time till about 7pm with limited gear and operators but hopefully we will have all bands from 6M to 23CM and microwave at 2.4, 3.4, 5.6 and 10Ghz.
I may return early on the Sunday morning and do a bit of Microwave under my own call sign but only on 1.2, 2.4 and 5.7 as I'm only a standard licence but will only do it if I know others in South East VK4 are going to be using microwave. The location will be Howells Knob (QG63JF)
VK4EA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4EA »

Robert, at this stage I plan on Howell's Knob for the Sunday morning, I'll bring my 24GHz stuff, and you'll be able use your 10G gear with me there.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

2014 Winter Field Day

Post by VK4CZ »

Hope to be active /P on Saturday (subject to final negotiations with Minister of Domestic Affairs) and gaining final permission from the land owner.

QTH: Walter Henderson Park, Kobble Creek
Grid: QG62JR93
Bands: 6m, 2m, 70cm, 23cm, 13cm, 3cm

Operating focus will be on Division 2.... subject to levels of activity to the north and south :oops:

(Updated 01:53z: Site access gained... now the hard part!)
Last edited by VK4CZ on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
ZL1RQ
Forum Novice

Post by ZL1RQ »

I will be operating from Mount Kanigan, (north of Gympie) Sat only.
50 144 432 and 1296 only. QG64HA08.

Alan VK4WR
VK3ZTE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3ZTE »

Can anyone explain why I can't find this field day listed on the WIA website - or am I missing something/overlooking the obvious :?:
Grant VK3ZTE
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK3ZTE wrote:Can anyone explain why I can't find this field day listed on the WIA website - or am I missing something/overlooking the obvious :?:
http://www.wia.org.au/members/contests/vhfuhf/
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3ZTE
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3ZTE »

Cheers - I was looking in the wrong spot. Still learning my way around both the WIA site and, for that matter, VK logger. I do recall, incidentally reading the article in 'AR'.

73 Grant S
VK3ZTE
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

The two-operator contesting station operating under VK3KQ *may* be out for the WFD. Our hearts say "yes, we really want to". But our fingers, toes and other body extremities that are likely to suffer from Frost Bite are saying, "Are you serious?" :wtf:

We will make our decision on Wednesday 18th, purely based on the weather forecast for southern VK3. Our usual mountain top location goes subzero at this time of the year - that we can handle. But if there is wind and/or rain forecast as well, we're just going to be vigilant and say no - we damaged too much equipment in the JMFD storms to risk not taking heed of the BOM.

However, if we do go, we'll be taking all bands from 50MHz to 10GHz.

Cheers,
Ralph VK3LL
(Co-operator of the VK3KQ/P contesting station)

UPDATE on 12/6: The long range weather forecast looks favourable, so I have just lashed out and purchased a new -20 rated sleeping bag :clap:
Last edited by VK3LL on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Winter field day is a great time to test new ideas and equipment. Failures and mishaps hurt much less in the winter than they do in spring or summer. The VK3ALB crew are hoping for good weather too and intend to be on air for the whole weekend from QF11VS.

What could possibly go wrong? :eh:
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3ALB wrote:What could possibly go wrong? :eh:
Ummm... this?
Sure cut thru that coax.jpg
:lol: :wink:
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK3ALB wrote:Winter field day is a great time to test new ideas and equipment. Failures and mishaps hurt much less in the winter than they do in spring or summer. The VK3ALB crew are hoping for good weather too and intend to be on air for the whole weekend from QF11VS.

What could possibly go wrong? :eh:
Err... missing trailer?? We may have a problem in the logistics department... mmm... :oops:
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA