Using Handheld Microphone whilst mobile

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2JDH

Re: Using Handheld Microphone whilst mobile

Post by VK2JDH »

VK3BJM wrote:On a clearly related topic, anyone have any ideas on where best to install an IC-706MkIIG, with a remote head, on a 16-hand Arabian Mare? What's the favoured spot for the tranceiver body, in the mane?

73 & yee-haa,
Barry
VK3BJM/em
Saddlebags. One for the base and one for the battery
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK4CZ wrote:...
So I suppose we can use a microphone while driving...... but be prepared to share your call log to prove your innocence :roll:
Scott, I worked for one of those organisations around 30 years ago, and traffic were right next to my unit.

Remember Hamish McBeth saying to the driver who asks "what are you writing me up for", and he says "tail light is out" to which she says something to the effect "it went to the garage just yesterday, are you sure it is out" so he goes to the back of the car, does his thing and returns saying "its out now, do you want me to check the headlights".

I heard similar stories in the canteen as these guys chatted with each other.

As I said to my staff (because I heard from the traffic sargeant about every time they came to the attention of traffic), don't attract their attention, be polite if you are stopped, they own the streets and they will assert that ownership.

You know the public don't mind lying to evade penalty, and you just found that the police officer strongly asserted something without adequate basis, enough that he was prepared to follow through and swear evidence in court if needed (they don't lie, it is the public that lie)... they don't mind doing that (the asserting thing). You also know that behind the "warrior of the streets" approach, he didn't actually know there was a difference re the microphone and was totally unprepared for your explanation... other than the over confident assertion that he saw a mobile phone in use.

Sometimes these cowboys stop a senior police officer... and they make interesting stories... though the public don't hear them often.

Owen
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Owen

I have to give them the benefit of doubt.... it would be hard to see what it was I was actually holding. Given the huge number of phone users I see daily, the assumed offence would have been a 'sure bet' for them! But wasn't to be this time.

Given what I can see sitting high from my car (lifted Nissan Patrol) phones are just the start... the number of people I see drinking beer, pre-mixes etc when parked next to them at lights makes me shudder! In a normal car you wouldnt see that, as it's all kept below the window line. But when looking down into cars you see a whole new world :roll:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK4CZ wrote:Owen

I have to give them the benefit of doubt.... it would be hard to see what it was I was actually holding....
You'r very kind, but I suspect that if you were breacked and you refused to pay an on-the-spot fine, he would have sworn in court that he saw you using a phone as his employer expects, and you would have a difficult time proving otherwise.

Owen
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

In car video is changing the way this "game" gets played, from both sides. The routines from the past won't always hold nowadays. .
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2HRX wrote:In car video is changing the way this "game" gets played, from both sides. The routines from the past won't always hold nowadays. .
Absolutely, and realise that some patrol officers are wired for sound so they are recording what they say and your response... be straight!

Owen

BTW, I saw an ABC news story this week of new camera technology that can evidence "distracted driving" from 700m, including mobile phones, food, conversation and apparent general distraction. Next thing they will make it an offence to remove one hand from the wheel!
VK3BJM

Post by VK3BJM »

VK2JDH wrote:Saddlebags. One for the base and one for the battery
Darn it. All I have is these here "tech screws"...

Barry
VK3BJM