Post by VK4EA »

Cheers,
Peter
VK4EA
VK4RF
Frequent Poster

Re: Known good STBs for digital ATV in VK

Post by VK4RF »

Thanks for the link Peter. It has heaps of other great info on that site as well. Plus they can add the Strong SRT 5430 like you and I have. Mine even works very well with a little 7ele old commercial TV antenna and no pre amp.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Considering my existing DVB STB doesn't offer manual frequency entry :( , I've been looking into replacing the old 12" analogue CRT TV here in the shack with a new (small) flatscreen unit.
Like most shacks, space is a bit tight, so choices become limited.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-pla ... sku-87481/
$266 Teac does NOT allow for manual frequency entry, just predefined channel entry<br />(same problem as my STB)
$266 Teac does NOT allow for manual frequency entry, just predefined channel entry
(same problem as my STB)
If you have the space, a 23" Sonic does allow manual frequency entry
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-pla ... ku-357274/
$199 Sonic does allow manual frequency entry
$199 Sonic does allow manual frequency entry
DSE have a $197 21.5" set, but the manual is not freely available online, and who knows what it's a re-badge of.

If you can put up with a non-native 1920 x 1080 screen (and the inherent degradation in PQ due to dithering down to 1366 x 768), then there might be more choices.

Posted in the interests of raising awareness to download the manual and check the specs before you buy! :shock:
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

Many thanks to Peter, VK4EA, for sharing the link to known good STBs.

Knowing what to get, and what to avoid, I have just won a listing for a Strong SRT 5405E off eBay for under $35 posted.
This makes it nice and easy (and cheap!) to receive digital ATV pictures on 446.500 MHz. :D

The existing $30 STB here in the shack (that lacks manual frequency tuning ability) can be put to use with the perfectly good analogue TV in another room, even more so now that it's digital only in Brisbane now!

I see there are currently two more of these SRT 5405E's about;
Sydney seller on eBay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321146042914 ... 1423.l2649

And for anyone on the Northside of Brisbane, one on Gumtree: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pelican- ... 1021682247 from somebody in Pelican Waters, which might suit a personal pickup.

Hope to get more involved with ATV soon! :D
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Hi Adam
Re: your post of 9th April are you saying that the 23" Sonic TV will accept 446.500 manually?
I have been searching for such a beast rather than using my Strong STB.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK4KHZ wrote:Re: your post of 9th April are you saying that the 23" Sonic TV will accept 446.500 manually?
Hi Shane
I don't have one, and see no reason to doubt the manual, as that's what it suggests.
If you have a JB HiFi near you, it might be worth checking out in person to make 100% sure.

I did this myself with a few of the cheapy LCD TVs in Big-W, and found you couldn't enter in a specific frequency, just a standard AU channel assignment.
(The manuals for these weren't available on line, hence the need to try before any purchase)

I'm a bit fussy when it comes to TVs, and would only have a native 1920x1080 screen.
A lot of the smaller/cheaper LCD TVs aren't native Full-HD (ie; they are 1366x768) so any picture will look soft from the inherent dithering.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

VK2AZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AZ »

I just bought a Strong 5430 here in Sydney from HN. Unfortunately it does not have manual frequency tuning:-(
It must be a different firmware version.
Mine is as follows:
SRT 5430
SW Version: C911 (from system menu)
HW Version: 01-01-04-02 (from system menu)

The downloadable firmware from the Sound site does not load on my version.
Do either of you have a copy of the firmware in your devices?

Regards

Hilary

--
VK4RF wrote:Thanks for the link Peter. It has heaps of other great info on that site as well. Plus they can add the Strong SRT 5430 like you and I have. Mine even works very well with a little 7ele old commercial TV antenna and no pre amp.
Hilary - VK2AZ
Glenmore Park NSW
QF56IF31
VK4KLC
Forum Novice

Post by VK4KLC »

Hi Hilary

Buyer be aware!

I also purchased a new Strong 5430 here in Brisbane and have uncounted exactly the same I problems as you have.

My software and hardware versions are exactly the same as yours and likewise, I have attempted to download new software from their website but to no avail.

Very frustrated after days of trying to get the new software to load, (thinking this was the problem) I rang Strong Technical Support in Victoria only to be told that my 5430 did have the latest software (as stated) and that this new 5430 does not need or have the facility to download any new software.

Following a discussion about what I wanted to do with it, I was informed that these new 5430’s have a complete new hardware setup inside and that its software doesn’t requiring updating at all.

The technician did agree with the fact that earlier versions of the 5430 did allow for Manual Tuning and a specific frequency can be entered. These new ones don’t.

Assuming this information from Strong is correct and unless someone has some other ideas, I cannot use this 5430 for its intended purpose.

Regards

Ron
VK2AZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AZ »

Hi Ron,
Does anyone want to purchase two new Strong 5430 devices?
Looks like Ron and I may be listing them on eBay ;-)

I have just emailed Strong Tech Support.

I will let you know how I get on....

Hilary

--
Hilary - VK2AZ
Glenmore Park NSW
QF56IF31
VK4RF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4RF »

I downloaded the very latest software update for my Strong 5430 and also for a new F Call who purchased one and both of these work straight away with direct keypad entry. 446.500 here in Brisbane. Strong are very helpful and informed me as soon as the new version software was available.
VK2AZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AZ »

That's great,
Check your hardware version in the system menu.
Probably different to Ron's and mine :-)

Hilary

--
Hilary - VK2AZ
Glenmore Park NSW
QF56IF31
VK4RF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4RF »

Hi Hilary..
My Srt 5430 has the following.. SW Version D311 and the HW Version is 01-01-04-02
VK4KLC
Forum Novice

Post by VK4KLC »

Hi Rick

There is the difference, your SRT 5430 has an earlier software version (D311) than the one Hilary and I have (C911). Interestingly enough, the hardware version is the same.

It will be interesting to see Hilary’s response from Strong.

Ron
VK2AZ
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AZ »

Ron,
They sent me some firmware to install.
Version: D618

I have installed it and I can now enter the frequency.

Unfortunately I don't have a signal from the local ATV repeater VK2RTS at this time, so I can't tell you if it actually works or not :-(

Drop me an email and I will send it to you.

Everything seems to work ok, but you install at your own risk ;-)

Hilary

--
Last edited by VK2AZ on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hilary - VK2AZ
Glenmore Park NSW
QF56IF31
VK4KLC
Forum Novice

Post by VK4KLC »

Hi Hilary

Excellent. An email is on its way.

That's good news. Lets hope all goes well from here on.

Thanks Ron
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

Anyone looking for a cheap Digital television which can tune to 446.500MHZ (which are not common) I can confirm that the Conia CE3202HDR will accept manual frequency entry and appears to be quite sensitive at this frequency.

This particular "cheap" TV was purchased yesterday to be used as a 32"monitor for my satellite tracking, while playing around with it today I noticed that it had the option to manually enter a DTV frequency so I went and turned on my DATV transmitter, input the frequency of 446.500, pressed OK and up it come.....

For anyone interested these are "cheap" 32" LED TV's marketed by "Deals Direct" and sell for $239.00...quite useful for DATV use.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4KHZ wrote:Anyone looking for a cheap Digital television which can tune to 446.500MHZ (which are not common) I can confirm that the Conia CE3202HDR will accept manual frequency entry and appears to be quite sensitive at this frequency.

This particular "cheap" TV was purchased yesterday to be used as a 32"monitor for my satellite tracking, while playing around with it today I noticed that it had the option to manually enter a DTV frequency so I went and turned on my DATV transmitter, input the frequency of 446.500, pressed OK and up it come.....

For anyone interested these are "cheap" 32" LED TV's marketed by "Deals Direct" and sell for $239.00...quite useful for DATV use.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
fiddling with the latest qos in my big sharp telly it also does the manual input thing , quite useful
VK4KHZ

Post by VK4KHZ »

And another one - The small 12v portable Conia CE1902HDR which is a small 18.5 inch portable LEDTV also allows manual frequency input - I just loaded 446.5Mhz into the memory and it loaded fine, almost instantly decoding my DATV transmission. This TV sells for just over the $100 mark. Maybe a more versatile option to the STB?
VK3KIS
Forum Novice

Post by VK3KIS »

This may be OT.

The TEAC TV Model : LEV2294FHD for $200 on sale at JB-HIFI has a nice sensitive reciever which tuned to 446.500 (VK3RTV) with no problems. When compared the STB's which are tunable it hears heaps better.

It also runs on 12V which is great for mobile use.

Andrew VK3KIS