What's on your Workbench?

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: What's on your Workbench?

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4EA wrote:Nice work Bruce,

I have the same experience with these things as Chas, the 2403MHz version has best return loss at 2300MHz (pity we lost that spectrum :mrgreen: ).

How do you adjust them for best return loss? I too tried adjusting the dipole arms and covering the slot.
I found a paper that describes the design and optimization of the cavity. It may help you.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... e9c044.pdf
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4KL
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4KL »

Trying to get my Mutek 6 meter transverter running

Adrian
Attachments
image.jpg
Adrian
VK4KL
QG53xd
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

For some time, I have been thinking of making the 'ultimate' digital computer to radio interface. I have an FT-857 and an FT-817, both of which have the same accessory socket, and have the same menu commands for digital operating. I needed an interface which was easy to set up/use, both at home or portable!

I think that I have finally achieved it!
FT-8x7 Interface 1.jpg
FT-8x7 Interface 2.jpg
I started with an article in Mar 2011 QST by Howard "Skip" Teller KH6TY, in which he describes a 'VOX' operated interface for digital modes. He used the audio tones to generate a voltage, by means of a voltage doubler rectifier, to operate the PTT of his radio. You could also set the audio level into your radio not only by the sound card control, but also by a pot on his PCB.
In my first version of his interface, I put trimpots on both audio directions so that I could have better control over the Tx/Rx audio in and out of the radio. On the computer end of the audio cable I put a small USB external soundcard. I took the two sockets of this USB dongle, and soldered a twin screened lead directly to the board.

This worked OK, but it meant if I was out portable, and wanted to mechanically set levels, I had to have a screwdriver with me , and be able to find the slot in a trimpot inside a box.

Looking through the 'junkbox', I found two very small 5k pots, with knobs, which I had saved from some wreck from a fleamarket. Next, I thought, why have a USB soundcard at the end of the lead. Why not disassemble it and put it in the box as well, and just have two leads external to the box. The USB sound card dongle is just visible at the left side of the box.

So it was off to the local 'dump' shop, and I bought an old PS2 keyboard and a USB extension lead for a dollar.

The keyboard lead interfaces with the FT-8x7 radios, and the USB lead goes to the PC. It all fits in a very small box (from Jaycar), with the red and green LED's from the sound card poking out the front.

I refitted the ferrite toroid, which had originally been inside the keyboard, back on the lead to the radio, to (maybe) remove any RF coming back from the radio.
Bruce VK2EM
VK5KK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5KK »

Hi All

A little SDR project that has been going on for a couple of years ... this UHFSDR board has been kicking around the shack for a while as a 144/432 Mhz IF for transverters driven by a netbook ... Not that practical for field work on the go though! The UHFSDR has previously covered by VK3NX with his excellent 144 MHz uWave transverter driver using an SDR2GO controller that uses a PIC33FJ128GP804 controller and TLV320AIC3204IRHB Codec chip. By themselves they put out about 20 - 50mW on 144/432 Mhz. With the current Si570 PLL the transceiver covers from 3.5 Mhz to around 460 MHz.

Inspired by Charlie's transceiver, I put together a SDR2GO and got that working on the bench with the UHFSDR. About the same time (mid last year) the group behind the SDR2GO and a few others commenced work on a STM32-F4 based SDR controller using a colour touchscreen and two encoders for control. The "STM32-SDR" first hardware kit run was released late last year by Dave Miller VE7PKE. Boards come loaded with most components the rest are fairly easy to find. You have to buy your own touchscreen, only two types supported in firmware at the moment so that is a bit of a challenge to get the exact one as not on eBay!
STM32-SDR.jpg
Touchscreen display receiving on 14 Mhz SSB (frequency display is bottom right). Spectrum on the top of the display, it scrolls at about 15 second top to bottom. various buttons lead to sub menus etc.

Over the past 5 months there have been several updates in firmware. There is built in software to decode and transmit PSK31 (just plug in a USB keyboard) and display decoded PSK31 on the central blank part of the screen (4 lines). The screen has a waterfall display that is pretty effective for weak signal detection (and tuning in PSK31, just tap the signal you want to decode on the waterfall display!). Touchscreen access of mode, band select, agc and various options ...Audio BP filtering and etc still on the developers list. The STM32-SDR is still in development phase but stable enough to be used as part of a transceiver as it stands now. This one will be going into a "development box" soon so can be used

For use on 144 & 432 Mhz as a transverter driver currently making up a basic PA& switching arrangement with surplus Helical filters to provide some front end bandpass filtering. It is surprisingly stable on 432 MHz even though just using the sI570 internal reference oscillator. The reference is a bit low making it about 2.8 Khz out on 432 but can dial in a factor to compensate that. Not expecting this to be ok for WSPR but it is stable enough for JT4 on 144 Mhz :-) Heres a shot of the STM32-SDR/UHFSDR receiving the VK5VF beacon on 144.450 MHz on the shack vertical
STM32-SDR_2.jpg
Any one interested can join the STM32-SDR Yahoo group to get more info or email me

Cheers

David VK5KK
Last edited by VK5KK on Fri May 09, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
VK4JAM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4JAM »

Not exactly on my workbench as it it too long.... A Hy-Gain UB-7031DX was recently added to the antenna farm.

The Hy-Gain UB-7031DX is based upon the DL6WU log-tapered design information, with enhancements to the gain, side lobe levels, and front-to back.

With 31 elements, it has a claimed gain of 17.6 dBD at 432.1 Mhz. This result is verified using 4NEC2 to simulate the antenna.

Further information at http://vk4jam.com/projects/hy-gain-ub-7031dx/
VK5KK
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5KK »

Hi All

Quick update on the previous STM32-SDR + UHFSDR combo posting ... here is the PSK31 mode working on 20 metres ( I know HF ...)
STM32-SDR_3.jpg
Just tap on the signal on the water fall on the touchscreen and hey presto!

Cheers

David VK5KK
VK6WAX

Post by VK6WAX »

Great to see projects, large and small, continuing to fill this thread.

Something I've had taking up valuable bench space is a proto-board that needed attention. The double-sided tape holding the socket-strips had turned into a resin mess and no longer doing much sticking.
After a bit of careful surgery, with a Swann&Morton #10, to seperate the socket-strips from the aluminium plate, I puzzled for a bit on how to repair it not really wanting to use double sided tape.
As the socket-strips had un-used mounting holes I decided to use nut & bolts and hit upon the idea of using a sheet of "Press Pahn" insulating material (Jaycar HG-9985) to insulate the backs of the socket-strips.
The metal connecting bars in each strip were carefully pressed home as some had pushed out into the previously soft tape. The nut & bolts are nylon because they were to hand.
The photo shows the results. All that remains is to bolt in the row of banana sockets at the top and some short rubber feet for the back.
protoboard.jpg
And using this for RF? The adjacent row capacitance of the broader strips (with the channels) measured approx 1pF using the Altronics version (K 2533) of the Silicon Chip LC Meter (May 2008).
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

I'm currently building up my 23cm station, and part of which is building a G4DDK VLNA for 23cm - figures of 0.25dB NF and 37dB gain are achievable !

My first time working with small (super small) SMD components, so out with the 0.3mm solder and magnifying glass...
Attachments
G4DDK 23cm VLNA
G4DDK 23cm VLNA
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

Some time ago (about 1 year) I acquired a Trimble Thunderbolt GPS lockable 10MHz oscillator. As I was busy at the time, making transverters for 5.7 and 10GHz and associated antennas, the Trimble was stored away, for "future reference". :lol:

During completion of my last project, a USB digital interface, I was thinking ahead about the next project. The next important item in the portable kit seemed to be a GPS locked reference oscillator.

Out with the Trimble, and I studied all the technical info that I could find, including a very good article at LeapSecond.com regarding power for the Trimble. The first thing that I noticed about the Thunderbolt, was that it had large BNC's and an 'F' connector sticking out of one side, for timing signals and the GPS antenna! My idea was to put it in as small a box as possible, and try to use it portable. I disassembled the Trimble, and found that the connectors were soldered directly to the PCB, but they weren't really needed, as the timing signals are only 10MHz. The only connector which has 'real' importance is the 'F' female for the GPS antenna, which works at roughly 1600MHz, and supplies +5V to the active antenna.

With my temperature controlled soldering iron, and a lot of care, I removed the three RF connectors, and soldered three pieces of small Teflon coax to the PCB.
Inside Front.jpg
I used RG-174 for the two timing signals, and RG-316 for the GPS antenna. I had a plastic box, which had housed an old 300Bd telephone modem. This seemed like a useful size, so after some measurements, I made new front and rear panels, fitted BNC connectors for signals, and an RCA connector on the rear for power.

During all of this, the thought of powering the device was always present. How could I power the Trimble from a 12V battery, without all manner of inverters for the three DC rails. With a combination of Internet sources (Ebay and Google) I came up with a workable solution. There are many sellers on Ebay, who sell "Buck" converters, both up and down from 12V. I sourced on type of downconverter, with a heatsink, for a very low price, and another without heatsink... even cheaper! For the negative supply, I used an item which very common at dump shops, field days, etc. It is the humble mobile phone charger, which contains an excellent "Buck" converter chip, the MC34063. Googling data sheets for this chip produces many project sheets, with info on up/down and +/- converters. The basic converter supply voltage can be set by a trimpot, and the current supply can be set by one resistor. So by rearranging components on this small PCB, I had my negative voltage generator/regulator.
There I had the basis for a very cheap, and simple DC supply for my Trimble Thunderbolt.
Inside.jpg
Would it all work, AND how much current would it draw from a 12V (13.8V) source.

First I removed the DC socket from the Trimble (less connections to break/come loose). I soldered an old plug on a scrap of Veroboard, and the mating socket on a lead from the Trimble, for isolation and power supply testing purposes. I tested the three power supplies, as follows...
+12V 1A
+5V 1A
-12V 100mA ... which are adequate for the purpose.

Next I connected it all together, and powered it up with an ammeter in series. WOW! It works, approximately 820mA during the heating phase, and settles to 320-340mA when idling.
The last thing, off to Ebay for a cheap 'powered' GPS antenna... replaced its MCX plug with a BNC plug, and the 'Portable GPS Locked 10MHz Reference' is complete.
Finished.jpg
Last things... the power LED has 5.6k in series with it, so it only draws about 2mA. Does the box get hot? No hotter than the original modem which was in the box!
Bruce VK2EM
VK2AMS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AMS »

great work bruce! as usual :D
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

When investigating my Thunderbolt, I traced some instability to air leaks through a couple of quite small round holes on the top of the case.
tbolt.jpg
The blue dots cover the holes, reducing the frequency variation markedly.

I also tried sealing around the power connector, but it didn't make much difference and I can't recall why.

Owen
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

Owen

I am wondering why your Thunderbolt was unstable. After reading your post, I connected my 12V device and monitored the output for the last 6 hours. I found two things... mine is VERY stable... AND either my Thunderbolt, OR my old frequency counter are out of calibration by 0.1Hz.
Hz.jpg
0.1Hz.jpg
Bruce VK2EM
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2EM wrote:Owen

I am wondering why your Thunderbolt was unstable. After reading your post, I connected my 12V device and monitored the output for the last 6 hours. I found two things... mine is VERY stable... AND either my Thunderbolt, OR my old frequency counter are out of calibration by 0.1Hz.
Hz.jpg
0.1Hz.jpg
I observed the Thunderbolt's own statistics.

Sure, it is extreme accuracy, but that is the purpose of these things.

Lady Heather is a tool that I found quite good.

Owen
VK1JA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK1JA »

I just finished the G4DDK 23cm pre amp - yet to be tested.....

By far the hardest part was winding, forming and soldering the inductors on the input (top right hand corner of the photo).

Just to put some perspective in place - the thickness of the wire used for the inductors is 0.314mm :shock: , and they are hand wound on a 2.5mm former...

Fingers crossed the smoke doesn't come out when I power it up.
Attachments
G4DDK 23cm pre amp finished
G4DDK 23cm pre amp finished
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

Somewhat 'industrial' compared to other works of art, but a W6PQL LDMOS 2m power amplifier kitset with HB GaAsFET preamp and coax relay switching. No frills, no protection ... get it right or go home! :roll: Running it at 40V only in some faint hope that the low voltage will afford some safety margin in the event of an antenna problem. No worry about over drive, it is only driven with a FT-817ND.

2.5W drive from the FT-817ND with 40V supply = 800W out
2.5W drive from the FT-817ND with 50V supply = 1200W out
0.1uV emf = 12dB SINAD from the FT-817ND

The box/heatsink measures 230 x 230 x 180 mm including the high volume PAPST fan on top. Lots of air and JUST a perceptible warming to the heatsink adjacent to the PA pallet after 2 hours of JT65b EME operation at 800W output. There is also a fan inside the box blowing on the output network.

The 1500W Cosel SMPSU is a bit 'RF noisy' so I have to have a go at suppressing it.

Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2BKC »

ZL1RS wrote:Somewhat 'industrial' compared to other works of art, but a W6PQL LDMOS 2m power amplifier kitset with HB GaAsFET preamp and coax relay switching. No frills, no protection ... get it right or go home! :roll: Running it at 40V only in some faint hope that the low voltage will afford some safety margin in the event of an antenna problem.
Nice work Bob. I need to get mine into a case.....

How hot do the matching coax'es get without forced air cooling ???

Wayne
ZL2WHO
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2WHO »

Hi Wayne.

I think you may have missed this... " There is also a fan inside the box blowing on the output network "
I too have an LDMOS device in an enclosure with power supply and metering and some protection. Mine is not a kit but a collection of items over a period of 12 months or so.
Problem is now I have this thing working well what do i do with it.. Apart from 2m eme there aint a lot else.. Hmmm.. :idea: A kW beacon springs to mind.. :lol:

Mark.
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

Hi Wayne,

Without the fan blowing on them they got "pretty warm". I have nothing to measure the temperature, but I simply do not like anything getting hot ... so I lined up a series of small 12V fans and picked the one that flapped a bit of paper the most and fitted that to the bottom cover so it blows onto/over the coaxes. I can't tell how much difference it made because the coaxes are enclosed when the base is fitted of course. Very vague, sorry.

Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK7JG

Post by VK7JG »

Hi Bob.
Looks nice ,very compact

notice that you have not included a Low Pass Filter.

Regards.
Joe
VK7JG
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2BKC »

ZL2WHO wrote:Hi Wayne.

I think you may have missed this... " There is also a fan inside the box blowing on the output network "
I too have an LDMOS device in an enclosure with power supply and metering and some protection. Mine is not a kit but a collection of items over a period of 12 months or so.
Problem is now I have this thing working well what do i do with it.. Apart from 2m eme there aint a lot else.. Hmmm.. :idea: A kW beacon springs to mind.. :lol:

Mark.
Thanks Mark and Bob - yes I missed the comment about the fan inside the enclosure (I was looking at the pictures and the internal fan wasn't exactly visible). Yes those TC12's can get surprisingly hot which is why I asked.

It's nice and compact ..... With that power to weight ratio it's sure to pack a punch from remote islands around the pacific :D

Wayne