ISS 145 Mhz FM voice activity coming up

Discussion about orbiting satellite, and balloon launches
VK4KHZ

ISS 145 Mhz FM voice activity coming up

Post by VK4KHZ »

If interested in receiving voice signals from the ISS an ARISS voice contact is scheduled to take place next Saturday night, 30th August 2008.
The contact will be between Schulehaus Feld 1 Richterswil, Switzerland and astronaut Gregory Chamitoff using the International Space Stations callsign NA1SS. The contact will be through ARISS ground station VK4KHZ located in Glenden QLD. The ISS may also be clearly visable with the naked eye as it passes over most of Eastern Australia (Including VK7 for a short period).
The downlink frequency will be 145.800FM +/- 3khz doppler.

Quick list of scheduled contacts and events:

Schulehaus Feld 1 Richterswil, CH-8805, Switzerland, telebridge via VK4KHZ
Contact is a go for: Sat 2008-08-30 13:53 UTC 79 deg

Total number of ARISS ISS to earth school contacts is 357.
Total number of ARISS supported terrestrial contacts is 10.

Expedition 17 on orbit:
Sergei Volkov
Oleg Kononenko RN3DX
Gregory Chamitoff KD5PKZ

QSL information may be found at:
http://www.arrl.org/ARISS/arissfaq.html
http://www.rac.ca/ariss/oindex.htm#QSL's
VK2BOZ

Re: ISS 145 Mhz FM voice activity coming up

Post by VK2BOZ »

Well thought the rain was going to bet me but it stopped long enough for me and a mate to hear the down link only. The signals were full scale breaking the squelch on me ic-91a with a 2 element home brewed portable antenna from the Gunnedah lookout.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I would like to have a bit of a satellite station setup, something different. Looks like it's pretty hard to get a contact with the ISS crew yourself.

Cheers
Cris
VK4KHZ

Re: ISS 145 Mhz FM voice activity coming up

Post by VK4KHZ »

Hi Chris
Pleased you were able to receive the downlink signal without difficulty. This was an armchair contact for me as I had no obstructions horizon to horizon.
I would be preparing your equipment for some activity commencing ~ mid October as I expect we will see some live SSTV (possibly two way) from the ISS (Richard Garriott) and a real possibility of some random voice contacts(Mike Fincke) on the standard downlink of 145.800 and 144.490 FM uplink frequency. Mike Fincke has an interest in amateur radio and has operated amateur radio previously from the ISS so the possibility of random voice contacts should be high.

Regards

Shane VK4KHZ
www.glenden-ariss.org