23cm Horn antenna

Earth-Moon-Earth discussion
VK2FAK

23cm Horn antenna

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

I was looking around a site that offers a 23cm EME Beacon, internet controlled....and found this on the site.....audio of received CW using his Horn antenna from inside the house...the antenna looks nice neat and tidy...

Has anyone tried these in the past..? for places where there just is not the room for a dish or multiple yagi's....

It was interesting to know that, with all the interest in antenna noise temperature these days, the horn has a lower noise temp than the dish.......simply because the feed of a dish is looking in the direction of the earth and thus some spillover from outside the dish occurs.....where the horn has the noise temp of basically what it is pointed at...

http://member.eduhi.at/OE5JFL/echo.htm

(bottom of the page)

John
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Re: 23cm Horn antenna

Post by VK2ZRH »

In the true traditions of "string and sealing wax" science :mrgreen:

In this case, "wire and solder" :lol:

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

That's an interesting find, John.

It looks like a real bugger to make?
I wonder how robust it is, and how it survives the wind?
(Or being transported, for activity day use)
Most of it's strength appears to rely on the mesh.

I went down the traditional route, and use a 27 element loop yagi.
With out favorable exchange rate though, I am drooling over an M2 35 element yagi... very solid construction, and inherently more robust than the loop yagi.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I'm sure the return loss would change depending on how many lobsters find their way into it :lol:

Awesome Rx performance though - I had a listen to the audio files on that page.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

10 watts into a deep fryer basket.
Now I feel like I haven't contributed enough with some whacky ideas.
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all....

From my reading of the web page, the signal was better when the horn was placed outside.

This is not so much of a whacky antenna, but this is just an extension of a Feed Horn I would guess has been used by many in the past....the W2IMU dish feed horn, all that was added is the skirting to open it up to 0.55m and thus i think increase the gain...

So anyone who has made the original feed horn would know how to make this also.

How would 2 of these antenna side by side go.....the big advantage would be the very reduced weight compared to a dish, mind you, you may lose that advantage in the connecting cables and such.......and damn, on bad days you can put it in the living room and point it out the doors...........I dare you dish guys to try that.....haha

John
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

The feed is just that . a feed for a big dish, not a replacement for a big dish.

The photo shows him using the feed pointed out his window to hear the high powered sidesplash from his real eme dish setup sited only 3km from his house.
It's circularly polarised and adding the extra section of mesh on the end results in quite a narrowed pattern compared to the standard feed.
This then is reducing the illumination of the EME beacon dish (down to 2 feet) when he fits it to the dish.

Hence his experiment is that reducing illumination and increasing transmit power would correlate to same echo strength.

the bit at the end about seeing echos directly i am still thinking about.

73 Dave
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all.....

No its not a replacement for a big dish......but a Horn is an antenna in its own right...

The horn you see he calls his test horn......the waterfall screen shot shows the delay between sent and received so it is the moon echo.......he says the horn is close enough to his dish to give that first pulse on the waterfall....the second pulse showing is, I guess the moon echo....

http://www.qsl.net/oe5jfl/moonecho.htm

Horns have been around a long time in there own right.....not just fitted to dishes...
Circular polarization is important also, and seems to be achieved by that Horn with gain and short length......

John
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Re: 23cm Horn antenna, can we truncate

Post by VK2ZIW »

Hi,

Can we truncate the "point" of a horn and place a "flat" antenna there?
So, I did it.
http://www.unixservice.com.au/hamradio/antenna

It's pointed east at the moon, from Emu Plains,

Now, all I need is WSPR, WSJT, WSJT-X on Linux (Fedora 19 x86_64) working.

We need a Linux audio processing programmer to get ALL sound-cards working by
using "standard" sample-rates of 44100 and 48000 in the above.

Alan VK2ZIW