Combined 6m and 10m beam.

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

Combined 6m and 10m beam.

Post by VK4WDM »

Is anybody using a combined 6m and 10m yagi like this design by DK7ZB? http://www.mydarc.de/dk7zb/Duoband/Duo_10m-6m.htm

I have to refurbish my 6m yagi, and it ovious that I need more gain and directivity on 10m, so why not combine the two?

I would like 7 elements rather than 4 on 6m though. I wonder if that could be done?

The other way to go would to have both sets of elements on the same boom with separate 6m and 10m feeds. There is a local ham who has done that with an HF tri-bander.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4ZEJ
Forum Novice

Re: Combined 6m and 10m beam.

Post by VK4ZEJ »

Hi All,

Have been thinking along the same lines lately. My current 6m beam is 5el on a 4M boom. I would like to add a 3/4el 10m beam on the same boom.

I am quite happy to feed them separately. However to save on another coax run I was thinking of feeding it the same as you would a Hex Beam!

Question is would this work??

Thanks for your assistance with this.

Regards,
Eddie
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK4WDM wrote:Is anybody using a combined 6m and 10m yagi like this design by DK7ZB? http://www.mydarc.de/dk7zb/Duoband/Duo_10m-6m.htm

I have to refurbish my 6m yagi, and it ovious that I need more gain and directivity on 10m, so why not combine the two?

I would like 7 elements rather than 4 on 6m though. I wonder if that could be done?

The other way to go would to have both sets of elements on the same boom with separate 6m and 10m feeds. There is a local ham who has done that with an HF tri-bander.

Wayne VK4WDM
It was popular once to run 10m and 15m on the same boom , I used one of Rudis with great success so it should work well , there may be some interaction but I expect once tuned it would be positive , back on that duobander I worked 100 countries easily in a few busy days :) during the halcyon days of sun spot
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I mounted my triband HF yagi on the same boom as my 5 el 6m yagi but with different feeds. Both antennas worked very well.

When Quads were very popular for HF some hams added 6m elements with good results, and that was with a single feed. Give a single feed a try and see what happens :D

Wayne VK4WDM