Samsung tablet and PC not talking

VK3LU

Samsung tablet and PC not talking

Post by VK3LU »

I have a PC which is connected to a WiFi router. I also have a Samsung GalaxyTab 3 10 inch tablet.
It also connects to the WiFi router.
The problem is neither of them can see one another!
I can connect the tablet via USB to the PC and it appears as a mass storage device.
What I want to do is access the PC's files etc from the tablet, just like my laptop.
Doe anyone have the answer?

Cheers
Nev
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: Samsung tablet and PC not talking

Post by VK4TI »

VK3LU wrote:I have a PC which is connected to a WiFi router. I also have a Samsung GalaxyTab 3 10 inch tablet.
I can connect the tablet via USB to the PC and it appears as a mass storage device.
What I want to do is access the PC's files etc from the tablet, just like my laptop.

Cheers
Nev
Have you tried Kies from samsung , I have no experience with the problem but kies might allow you to sync things and link ?
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

KIES only allows access to backup files such as Contacts, Photos etc. not to the whole PC unfortunately.

Nev
VK3MJC

Post by VK3MJC »

VK3LU wrote:I have a PC which is connected to a WiFi router. I also have a Samsung GalaxyTab 3 10 inch tablet.

Cheers
Nev
Wireless Isolation Mode isn't turned on in the router is it? :wink:

I downloaded an app called "Network Browser" on the missus' Samsung tablet so I could browse across to the NAS (to play Peppa Pig videos for Small Noisy Child :lol: ) - it seems to work OK.
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

Try ES File Explorer on the Tablet.
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Hi all
Thanks for your suggestions.
The device I am using is a Telstra 3G wireless internet job with a wifi router built in.
Both the apps you suggested ask for a username and password. If I use the username and password that gets me access to the device via a web browser, it doesn't work. If I use the ssid and encryption password that fails also so I am stitched.
I don't know of any other username and password.
I'll keep looking.

Cheers
Nev
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

My (Samsung) tablet is only WiFi.

With ES Explorer, I select the Network tab, then LAN and press the Search button bottom and it finds the PC's and NAS connected to the local network - WiFi and wired.
Only when I select the (Win8) PC does it ask for User/Pwd for that PC. Then it provides access to the files for that (PC) user.

Maybe you could try disabling 3G data to be sure the tablet is connecting via WiFi.
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

I might have confused you.
The tablet is wifi only.
It and the PC and the laptop connect via wifi to the Telstra 3G router via wifi.
I will do a bit more fiddling.
Cheer
Nev
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

When I scan as you do, I get 2 results. The first is 10.0.0.138 which is the means of accessing the routers menu.
The second is 10.0.0.1. If I tap that I am told i am connecting to SMB://10.0.0.1 and it asks for a username and password.
That's the problem. I don't have a username and password to access my PC. I am logged in automatically as administrator.

Aren't computers fun!!

Cheers
Nev
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK3LU wrote:That's the problem. I don't have a username and password to access my PC. I am logged in automatically as administrator.
The username will be Administrator (unless you changed it).
The password will be whatever you set for the administrator account.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Iain
The problem is the PC was built by a computer shop and I asked them to install windows 7 as administrator access.
The username may well be Administrator but the password is a mystery.
I might have to get some software I saw recently in APC that extracts that sort of information.

Cheers
Nev
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK3LU wrote:Iain
The problem is the PC was built by a computer shop and I asked them to install windows 7 as administrator access.
I might have to get some software I saw recently in APC that extracts that sort of information.

Cheers
Nev
If you have admin rights then create another user in your name with similar rights and a p/w your sure off as backup then you can edit the admin profile with safety
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

VK3LU wrote:Iain

Cheers
Nev
have you tried to log in using administrator as the username and not entering a password?
Tony
VK2TS
VK3HZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3HZ »

10.0.0.1 sounds suspiciously like the Gateway IP address.

You might want to confirm the PC IP address by using Run > Cmd > IPconfig to show it on the PC.
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

10.0.0.138 is the gateway address
10.0.0.2 is the IPv4 address

I tried logging in with Administrator and no password but to no avail.

Nev
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

You can set a new password for the Administrator account in 'Computer Management' (Control Panel / Administrative Tools).
Select the Local Users and Groups / Users folder, right click on the Administrator account and select 'Set Password'.
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3LU

Post by VK3LU »

Thanks everyone.
I'll be away for a few days so next week I will try reorganising the login and see what happens.

Cheers
Nev