AIS and Marrine Traffic website

AIS specific discussion
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

AIS and Marrine Traffic website

Post by VK2EFM »

Hi,
How are other users finding the upgrade to the Marine Traffic website?
I have tried a few times to see what ships my station is receiving real time with little success...
Allan
VK2KRR

Re: AIS and Marrine Traffic website

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Allan,

Yes I am also having troubles here for station 283.
I believe Phil VK5AKK, Adelaide Hills is also struggling to view anything.

I have put a post on Marine Traffic facebook page, already had a comment from another person saying it was no good. Had a response from Marine Traffic people who said my data is getting through OK, which it probably is, but actually being able to view it is another story. I have forwarded the fact that your also having troubles Alan, just to add weight to the situation.

This doesn't really worry me a great deal as I also use Shipplotter and AIS Dispatcher, as WELL as DX Maps AIS AGGREGATOR to monitor the AIS propagation locally at my home PC. But for those who rely on Marine Traffic to view their spots and those of others as in indicator, its going to be a pain.
But be aware that if your only using Marine Traffic site, that you are probably missing A LOT of data and possible paths that you dont know about because Marine Traffic only allocates the spots to you if you get them to the server first.

Also as I have recently discovered through using the DX Maps, AIS AGGREGATOR program, there ARE some repeater signals around. The DX Aggregator program identifies signals that have come from repeaters and WILL NOT allow them to be sent to the DX Maps list http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan ... &HF=N&GL=N
Only direct spots are listed.
Spots to DX Maps list WILL SHOW UP, but only if you have had more than one recorded spot from a particular vessel. It doesn't matter if 3 people hear the same signals, they will all get posted to the site, not just the first one to the server to get through.

But I guess this is getting off topic, but is handy information to be aware of.
VK6DZ

Post by VK6DZ »

Hi,

Also having trouble viewing the new maps, sometimes they load well, but mostly not.

Derek...VK6DZ
VK2EFM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EFM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback, that I am not alone in my observations...... :?

The best feature "what is my station receiving" is gone! :roll:

Are there any alternative websites?

Allan
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Allan

As I mentioned in my post, you can set up AIS DX AGGREGATOR -
http://www.dxmaps.com/aisdxaggregator.html

This will upload here - http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan ... &HF=N&GL=N
But it will only show -
# Spots over 300 Km
# Direct spots only, not via repeaters
# Spots from ships where the signal is decoded in more than once (eliminates false decodes and meteor bursts)

These can also be viewed on map -
http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan ... &HF=N&GL=N

As mentioned earlier, its a good idea to view the signals locally. A lot of people use Shipplotter -
http://www.coaa.co.uk/shipplotter.htm

There are probably other sites you can use, but these are the ones I'm familiar with.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

Hi Allan, if no-one else in your area is sending to aprs.fi then your spots would show up there. I second what Leigh said and Shipplotter is good for displaying locally on your screen as well as sending info to other websites. I use to display on my screen and send the data to aprs.fi and marine traffic.

Shipplotter is reasonably priced. From memory I think it was about $35 but it is well supported by the author and new updates fairly often.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Is anyone actually able to see the maps yet ?
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hang on I just went to VK5ZEA's stats page and his map loaded.

Went back to my page and did a refresh and now my map has loaded. Seems OK at this point.

Really like the data displayed when moving cursor over the graphs.

At this point in time it is actually displaying the two spots I am hearing on the map, even though in current status section under the map, its not listed any vessels or distance, just the green antenna showing Ive heard something, so I am wondering if even if you dont actually get the spot logged to th server first, if its still displaying the spots on your own map?
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Here is a screen shot of Phil VK5AKK's Marine Traffic page.
Ive put red maker as my mouse pointer did not show up in the shot, but you can see if you put your mouse pointed along the map that it displays distance from that particular graph/time point.
VK5AKK AIS
VK5AKK AIS
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Im currently in the process of talking with Dimitry from Marine Traffic site about the non populated areas above the map for ELEVATION, OPERATED BY, EQUIPMENT.

Will advise.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Areas above the map now working.
ELEVATION, OPERATED BY & EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION now all seem to be working.

I am still having trouble displaying the maps though.
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

VK2KRR wrote:Areas above the map now working.
ELEVATION, OPERATED BY & EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION now all seem to be working.

I am still having trouble displaying the maps though.
Is it not displaying at all? What browser are you using. The maps seem to display on my screen albeit somewhat slowly but that could be my current internet speed.
The map displayed the 3 times I tried different pages. Tried on both Firefox and Chrome.
mt.jpg
73 Phil...VK6ADF
9A4CU
Forum Novice

Post by 9A4CU »

When I tried to find all Australian ais station listed it shows only 2 pages but button on bottom shows pages 1 to 9.You can go to second page and no more.When I was complaining to them about this problem nothing has been changed.Not mentioned about replay which usually does not come at all.Really strange that they run so popular web page and have no forum,hard to get any reply..etc.They got best coverage but can not beat Fleetmon in design although they are trying to copy some tools from them. :roll: :x