WSJT screen layout

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK3XDK

WSJT screen layout

Post by VK3XDK »

Gday all,
I find WSJT screen/s layout very frustrating on my small 15" shack monitor. (i am using WSJT V9.5)
Is there a way of docking the main screen to the waterfall?
Is there a way of re-sizing the window/s without loosing some of the controls/display?

I notice many other programs can be re-sized without losing anything, why not this one?

TNX, Graham
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Re: WSJT screen layout

Post by VK4MIL »

Hello Graham

I remember that you can make some changes to the screen size in the source code but you would have to compile it.
I used a small asus netbook that ran linux and had to change the screen size in the code. Just be patient
I think they are rewriting the GUI in QT which should allow more screen controls like it is in wsjt-x

Cheers
Colin
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

TNX colin,
seems the screens are always in the way of one-another. I actually missed an "average" EME decode (and possible QSO) because the waterfall was covering the average box.

think re-writing source code may give more probs than it solves (for me anyway!)
I notice that the initial screen (the one that has the sound devices ect) can be re-sized. A lot of help.
Wonder if there are 3rd party apps?

Anyway, looks like i'll have to wait until someone comes up with something. Surprised i haven't found something already. (i'm sure im not the only one that doesn't like the screen/s layout.)
VK2JDS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2JDS »

Hi Graham,
in my EME hut i have a old hand-me-down ibm celeron 1.5gig laptop with an external screen plugged in the side vga socket for my moonbounce work
(why? because its very rf quiet!, and has wifi to the router in the house)
with the right driver installed you can split the screen across the laptop display and the external monitor
this all worked well for me until mr uSoft decided my laptop didnt pass validation, and i reformatted , loosing the right driver... doh. but, the external screen still works ok
hunt up a 23 inch or whatever screen off the roadside cleanups (they are cheap even new)

the important stuff you need to see from WSJT is the waterfall screen , the main screen and the astronomical data. also handy is the vk3um planner shrunk down.

having the 'net running on a logger like HB9Q is great too, so have that minimised.

next you want to get fast access to wordpad, so find that on the start/programs button.
once you complete a contact press 'shift prnt scrn' buttons. then open wordpad and right click paste. this puts your screen grab into wordpad. then select save under the callsign of the person you just worked.

this setup has worked well for me using solar power, off grid, in the remote hut
73 from Dave vk2jds
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

We are all fairly caught up in the tech (ie pc) stuff,
it amazes me how little i know about it still!
We could spend a lifetime in a very small corner of the things we are playing with!

seems if i could increase the screen resolution, i could downsize the boxes (like i do with my other computer)
problem with the 15" monitor, it seems like they have gone out with the dinosaurs? and higher than 1024x768 (or whatever it is) is about the max? obviously bigger is better in the PC world? All good until we start collecting a whole lot of test equipment and we run out of space!
VK4CLG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CLG »

The only way I find to make more screen space is to add another monitor to the computer. For years now I been running twin monitors and some times 3 monitor on the same computer. That way I can have WSJT and all the sound card audio mixing on one screen and running VK Logger or what ever else on the other. (Pixs at QRZ.com http://www.qrz.com/db/VK4LHD ) The shack photo is a little bit old now and needs updating. I will admit I'm a full time Digital Mode operator now and the twin monitors are handy not only for Ham Radio but video and photo editing as well.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3XDK wrote:...problem with the 15" monitor, it seems like they have gone out with the dinosaurs?
Graham, chuck that 15" CRT, and step out of the 1990's!
(this reminds me of the 14" MultiSync I had... in 1989)

Dual output PCIe video cards (assume your mobo isn't that old?) can be purchased sub $120 (and that's from a brick n mortar store).
Here's an example - note the two DVI conenctors.
Regular TN (twisted nematic) LCD flatscreens are relatively cheap these days as well.
A pair of 24" 1920x1080 screens, and you'll be set. Examples.
ie 3,840 pixels across!

Dual PC screens aren't just for the computer geek these days, but for anybody wanting to be more productive and make life easier on themselves.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK3XDK

Post by VK3XDK »

It is actually an LCD monitor!
Just haven't got the room for a bigger or second monitor on the bench.