linear loaded whip for lowband VHF

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

linear loaded whip for lowband VHF

Post by VK5PJ »

Hello,
in a past career I was employed at a service centre that sold and serviced HF, VHF and UHF radios for the mobile service. I remember that at one stage we stocked a GAIN whip for low band VHF (70MHz) that was initially loved by the local taxi operators but fell by the wayside as many of them managed to break them off on low objects (Hotel drive throughs, trees etc.)

What has this to do with six metres you ask, well I have been searching for a bit of cheap gain on 52MHz for the mobile and I recalled these whips and how well they seemed to work compared to a 1/4 wave stainless whip but could not remember much about their construction. They were if I recall correctly a linear loaded affair like a few of the popular heavy duty CB whips. I have an example of these here made by Mobile One used for 28MHz mobile but do not recall what length of wire they represented, possibly around 3/4 of a wavelength is my only guess.

Has anyone else had any recent experience with linear loaded whips that could share knowledge with me?

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj