3 wire rotary encoder 80 pulse?

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK2GOM

3 wire rotary encoder 80 pulse?

Post by VK2GOM »

I am trying to source a 3 wire type optical rotary encoder, with around 80 pulses per revolution. More would be better, slightly less might still be workable.

I see Phidgets in the USA do one, but it is embedded in a board with USB interface. I need just the encoder.

Any ideas of sources?

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Re: 3 wire rotary encoder 80 pulse?

Post by VK4TI »

VK2GOM wrote:I am trying to source a 3 wire type optical rotary encoder, with around 80 pulses per revolution. More would be better, slightly less might still be workable.

I see Phidgets in the USA do one, but it is embedded in a board with USB interface. I need just the encoder.

Any ideas of sources?
some of the older ball mice used such a thing , what intended purpose ?

there might be one in a junk box somewhere
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2GOM wrote:I am trying to source a 3 wire type optical rotary encoder, with around 80 pulses per revolution. More would be better, slightly less might still be workable.
You didn't give much information about the application.

I have seen low cost 3W relative position encoders 120CPR for less than $5 on element14, and 7 bit absolute encoders for less than $20 IIRC.

Have you looked there?

Owen
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Thanks Owen, I will take a look. I just need something with a 3-wire setup that I can fit to a chassis with a nut, and put a knob on it.

I tried RS, but nothing suitable seemed to appear.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2OMD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2OMD »

VK2GOM wrote:Thanks Owen, I will take a look. I just need something with a 3-wire setup that I can fit to a chassis with a nut, and put a knob on it.

I tried RS, but nothing suitable seemed to appear.
Panel mounting might be an issue, most of the low cost devices will be board mount.

If you find a part no on e14, try in on RS, the latter's search engine isn't very good.

I am guessing that with the resolution you specified, this might be for a VFO encoder. Early radios often used a custom optical encoder, big heavy knob with a nice bearing and a silk sreened acrylic disk on the inside with a pair of photo sensors, and some kind of adjustable brake. They worked better in my view than the cheap contact based encoders on modern radios. Today, people would probably produce a disk by laser cutting carbon fibre board, and you buy IR sensors as a emitter/detector pair.

Owen