Anderson Powerpole Connectors.

ATUs, PSUs, Rotators, Test Equipment, components, etc
VK3XL
Frequent Poster

Re: Anderson Powerpole Connectors.

Post by VK3XL »

I have always soldered the connectors on. Have a look on amazon for the crimper, it may be cheaper than Powerworx. By the way the last batch of 50 I got a $4.95 discount for being a repeat customer, so just over AU$40 shipped (our dollar was about 98c US at the time). I think the total from Powerworx was over $60 for the same qty shipped at the time.
found this... http://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Powerpol ... ts+crimper
not sure what the price is form powerworx but i think they are over $40. plus shipping.
73 Mike
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

And I am pretty sure some of the cheaper eBay suppliers are selling knock off PPs.

So be aware!
VK2EM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2EM »

G'day All

I have never crimped a PP on... just soldered them... and then slid a piece of heatshrink up the wire over the lug to diminish the stress point.

There has been a lot of discussion about PP's on the FT-817 Yahoo Group over the years..."Whether to use or NOT to use PP's".

One thing came out of the discussion... like "Oils ain't oils"... "PP's ain't PP's". It appears that some PP's are being sold with Tin-plated lugs, instead of Silver plated ones. After a time, the tin plating either oxidises, or parts company with its base metal, rendering the "PP" useless.

Check out Yahoo Groups/Ft-817/Powerpoles. (just a rough address)
Bruce VK2EM
VK5BJE
Forum Novice

Post by VK5BJE »

Hi all
I soldered 30 and 50 amp hour power poles for about eight years. Just recently I purchased the crimper from Powerwerx. It is an excellent device. Soldering is fine for connectors put in place and left in place, but for power poles in the field, eg SOTA, parks, crimped ones work better. There is less strain on the cable as it enters the insert in crimped connectors than with soldered ones.
Any way Powerwerx do export!

John
VK5BJE
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK5BJE wrote:Any way Powerwerx do export!
Yes, but at $23.95USD for shipping this is getting to be one expensive little crimper!
Theo
VK5IR
ZL2BKC
Frequent Poster

Post by ZL2BKC »

I have been a fan of PP connectors for the last few years. After pondering for some time whether US$40 was worthwhile for a crimping tool I finally imported one from the US (I have a forward shipped so it almost got a free ride with some of my other US purchases).

I must admit that I am really impressed at how much better the correct crimp is compared to soldering or using a hex crimper for SMA connectors (which is about the right size if you get the gauge of wire correct)

However I have recently discovered XT60 connectors which are used by the RC community and they are substantially cheaper than the PP's. Not quite as versatile, but OK for lower power connections. I have also redesigned my PP distribution board to use XT60's now - here is a photo of the board before mounting in a box:
XT60 Power Bus
XT60 Power Bus
They are rated at 60A (Hence XT60 name) but I am only comfortable with them to 30A continuous load, which suits most peoples needs. There is XT90 as well but I have not explored that option yet.

Cost for a single board is US $7.49 for 10 XT60 pairs shipped off eBay, and each PCB costs less than US$2 to make in Qty ($10 for 10pce from ITeedStudio plus shipping).

This could be a good club project :D

--
Wayne
VK3AV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AV »

I recently purchased PP's and a crimper from www.andersonpower.com.au in Melbourne.

You can get the connectors (for different wire gauges) and the shells (in multiple colours) separately which suited my purpose well.

The crimper is I believe a generic tool, no Powerworx logo etc, but definitely works better than a hex crimper. :)

No association with the organisation at all simply a first time customer.

Regards
Bernard
VK3AMB
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK3AMB wrote:I recently purchased PP's and a crimper from http://www.andersonpower.com.au in Melbourne.
So you paid $75.90 for the crimper? That's a tad steep, isn't it?

I hope he shipped it out to you for free!
Theo
VK5IR
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK5MTM wrote:
VK3AMB wrote:I recently purchased PP's and a crimper from http://www.andersonpower.com.au in Melbourne.
So you paid $75.90 for the crimper? That's a tad steep, isn't it?

I hope he shipped it out to you for free!
Depends on the point of view , I bought mine a decade ago (crimps) paid $80.00 and they still perform like new after a lot of years of contracting and private use
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Money is never wasted on good quality tools. Even at $80 they are still good value.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK3ALB wrote:Money is never wasted on good quality tools. Even at $80 they are still good value.
I suggest those of you who want a good fit to genuine , and don't mind buying a few try these guys www.marsol.com.au , bulk around $2.00 each for connectors (andersons)
VK3AV
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AV »

No, I did not spend that much. :shock: Mind you I do tend to buy quality where possible (my 20 year old torque wrench will still be accurate well after I am gone).

I went for the Budget model ~$32.00 as it is not a work tool and will not be used too often.

The crimper does look a little different to the image on the web site and very much resembles the construction of the hex etc crimpers that Jaycar sells. Packaging is similar also therefore a clone not a real Anderson/Powerworx tool.

A hex crimper does not do as good a job (have had cables pull out) and an automotive crimper makes it really hard to slide the contact into the shell whereas this worked fine (I have only used it once so far). Plus - he who has the most tools...wins. :D

Regards
Bernard
VK3AMB