Funcube and others.

Discussion about orbiting satellite, and balloon launches
VK2FAK

Funcube and others.

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all...

I have loaded up new elements into the software and was expecting the New satellites to be named and so on....but still nothing.
I was reading on AMSAT-UK and as of a few days ago, nobody was sure which satellite was the FunCube...

Yet it has an AO-73 designation , but why are people jumping the gun a little, call it what every data site seems to be calling it......2013-066B....and there guessing on that...

Yes I know some of the sats are so close together it does not make a lot of difference.....is it that important to be the first to use it.....

John
VK2GOM

Re: Funcube and others.

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi John, I have heard AO-73 a few times now, on my triband vertical, bursting it's data down to us. I haven't heard any voice contacts through it yet though.

I use HRD for satellite prediction. I just ran the Keps updater, and it was there in the list.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3ANZ

Re: Funcube and others.

Post by VK3ANZ »

Hi John,

2013-066B is the launch designation of the FunCube and that is what some of the TLE web sites still call it.

Once a satellite has been successfully placed into orbit and is "working" (by whoever's definition of "working") then it is given the "Oscar" designation - in this case AO-73.

Of course it is then up to whoever runs the TLE web sites (my satellite tracker program picks up the CelesTrak NORAD TLEs for example) to update the name of the satellite and they can take however ing they feel like to do that.

Susan VK3ANZ