2013 Spring Field Day - 23/24 November

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK2KRR

Re: 2013 Spring Field Day - 23/24 November

Post by VK2KRR »

Rob, we might borrow those for the Severe Weather Watchers page, sure Chas wont mind :mrgreen:
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

One of those is the reason I am not going anywhere.

The Ute is at the panel beaters - it was at Hornsby on Monday afternoon...
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

For those out and about in NSW:

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

for TORNADOES, DESTRUCTIVE WIND, LARGE HAILSTONES and HEAVY RAINFALL

For people in the Mid North Coast, Metropolitan, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Hunter, Illawarra, Central Tablelands and North West Slopes and Plains Forecast Districts.

Issued at 4:37 pm Saturday, 23 November 2013.

THIS INCLUDES A TORNADO WARNING.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce tornadoes, destructive winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in the Mid North Coast, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Hunter and North West Slopes and Plains districts. Locations which may be affected include Tenterfield, Inverell, Armidale, Glen Innes, Tamworth and Moree.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds over the next several hours in the Metropolitan and parts of the Hunter, Illawarra and Central Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Sydney, Penrith, Parramatta and Campbelltown.

45mm of rainfall was recorded Narrabri airpoirt in the hour from 1:30pm to 2:30pm.
A tornado was reported near Ben Lomond (north of Guyra) at about 4:20pm.
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK3ALB wrote:VK3FJEN is holding the cables out of the way while VK3BA does circle work in the top paddock.
Why wasn't Jenni making the coffee for you boys doing all that hard work?
I mean, just standing there whilst you're dealing with a heavy video camera and pushing a mower.
What's going on down there? :wink:
VK3PY wrote:Just when we thought we'd seen everything on a FD, here's a picture of what we saw just at the start of the Spring FD:
Chas, what fantastic pictures.
Thanks for sharing. :D
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2CSW wrote:For those out and about in NSW:

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

for TORNADOES, DESTRUCTIVE WIND, LARGE HAILSTONES and HEAVY RAINFALL

For people in the Mid North Coast, Metropolitan, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Hunter, Illawarra, Central Tablelands and North West Slopes and Plains Forecast Districts.

Issued at 4:37 pm Saturday, 23 November 2013.

THIS INCLUDES A TORNADO WARNING.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce tornadoes, destructive winds, large hailstones and heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in the Mid North Coast, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Northern Rivers, Hunter and North West Slopes and Plains districts. Locations which may be affected include Tenterfield, Inverell, Armidale, Glen Innes, Tamworth and Moree.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds over the next several hours in the Metropolitan and parts of the Hunter, Illawarra and Central Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Sydney, Penrith, Parramatta and Campbelltown.

45mm of rainfall was recorded Narrabri airpoirt in the hour from 1:30pm to 2:30pm.
A tornado was reported near Ben Lomond (north of Guyra) at about 4:20pm.
Warning issued seq and much of Brisbane , boonah about to get nasty
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4GHZ wrote: Why wasn't Jenni making the coffee for you boys doing all that hard work?
I mean, just standing there whilst you're dealing with a heavy video camera and pushing a mower.
What's going on down there? :wink:
Hi Adam,

Well I'm afraid your card has been marked. She will want to have a talk to you next Gippstech.

:wink:
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3TU

Post by VK3TU »

VK3PY wrote:Just when we thought we'd seen everything on a FD, here's a picture of what we saw just at the start of the Spring FD:

Chas
VK3PY (with the VK3UHF Crew)
Hahaha! Never figured you guys for stormchasers!

It looks fairly high up, did it touch ground or did it dissipate? That's an ugly sight behind it!
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

I think it was all the RF from our new 150W 23cm PA that caused it! Mover over HAARP! The twister did seem to briefly touch the ground a couple of times, but who knows. It was changing shape pretty quickly.

Chas
VK3PY

PS Credt for the photos goes to David VK3QM who was quickest with the camera.
Last edited by VK3PY on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK3PY wrote:I think it was all the RF from our new 150W 23cm PA that caused it! Mover over HAARP! The twister did seem to briefly touch the ground a couple of times, but who knows. It was changing shape pretty quickly.

Chas
VK3PY
On the news close to that area a house got trashed by a small whirly like that , hope it's not trending
VK3TU

Post by VK3TU »

VK4TI wrote:
VK3PY wrote:I think it was all the RF from our new 150W 23cm PA that caused it! Mover over HAARP! The twister did seem to briefly touch the ground a couple of times, but who knows. It was changing shape pretty quickly.

Chas
VK3PY
On the news close to that area a house got trashed by a small whirly like that , hope it's not trending

See: http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/new ... 6767290141

Bert
VK3TU
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Aargh! 'mini' tornado terminology strikes again. Another one I need to email. Thanks for the heads up.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3LL

Post by VK3LL »

Damian (VK3KQ) and Ralph (VK3LL) putting up our tent in just 10 seconds! I wish we'd thought of a lawn mower - the grass at QF12XO was over a foot high!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAEMWTAGZl0

More video and images of VK3KQ/p during the 2013 Spring VHF/UHF field day to follow...

Cheers,
Ralph VK3LL
VK3BQ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BQ »

vk3er videos and a story and lots of pics of mine at my blog http://www.vk3bq.com/2013/11/25/spring- ... -day-2013/

time lapse for the first 3hrs of operation

and very windy/wet sunday morning (most of the 24hrs was like this

friday setup

sunday pack up in the rain

and the rest of the photos on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/asphotos/s ... 055267743/
Last edited by VK3BQ on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Scott - VK3BQ
Mount Waverley, Vic. QF22NC39XL
http://www.vk3bq.com/ <-ham blog
VK3HY
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3HY »

Hi All

"Scattered #@!*&^% showers, my ass!" - Noah, 4314 BC

My FD excursion was rather disappointing to say the least. I was enjoying my 39th contact for the afternoon and things were going fairly well weather wise too. However, a severe local storm suddenly arrived at around 0340 UTC. The first sign of impending trouble was my 10GHz rig tripod being blown over followed by several minutes of very heavy almost horizontal rain. Everything was soaked and within minutes I was up to my ankles in sticky mud. As I did not have the necessary tools or material to commence construction of an Ark, I decided to pack up and go home. :( I am still cleaning mud from various rigs cables and connectors. Highlights of my brief period of operation were working some stations that I think were newcomers to FD operation including VK3XYX and VK3WOW as well as successful 10GHz contacts with VK3YFL/P and VK3UHF/P. My final contact logged at 0340 was with VK3ALB/P - I'm not sure if Jen & Lou heard any profane utterings from me when the tripod went South - hopefully I had released the PTT button first.

Hurry on Summer FD 2014....

Gavin, VK3HY
Last edited by VK3HY on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
VK3YFL
Forum Novice

Post by VK3YFL »

I'll take the blame for Gavin getting wet. It's become a standing joke that each time we work on 10GHz it rains on him!

My operating day was shorter than planned also. I tried to rough it out but after some reasonable weather to begin with, the light occasional showers turned into constant rain after about 3 1/2 hours of operating for 40 contacts. It was just too uncomfortable to hang around and after all it's meant to be fun!

Given the weather I thought the activity was pretty good and like Gavin I'm be looking forward the Summer Field Day in the hope of better weather.

Bryon
VK3YFL
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK3ALB wrote:Well Andrew, as a matter a fact we did. :shock:

We can't be tripping over thistles now can we?

VK3FJEN is holding the cables out of the way while VK3BA does circle work in the top paddock.
lawn mower.PNG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP0D5Rv10RA

I might have to take the ride-on-mower next time... :roll:
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA