FT-7800R unmod resistor

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK2CJC

FT-7800R unmod resistor

Post by VK2CJC »

Hi all

With the recent RI visits I have checked all my second hand gear to see what modifications the previous owners had done and found my FT-7800R has resistor R1288 removed to allow wider transmit coverage. I want to put it back. I have consulted the service manual, but guess what.... R1288 is the only resistor which is not in the parts list.

Has anyone un-modded this radio before? Do you know what R1288 is? Got any hints how to fit SMDs without the correct gear?

I have some experience of SMDs but not this tiny :)

Any help/advice/moral support would be appreciated.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: FT-7800R unmod resistor

Post by VK3ALB »

It's probably going to be a zero ohm resistor - nothing more than a link. I've found the mod on the internet and it's hard to see exactly what required but I think there's more "resistors" near by. Can you measure one of those?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

According to the parts list, the other resistors in the row could be anything from 1K to 1.5M.

I may have to contact Yaesu :)
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

The spec sheet for the CPU chip shows that pin 62 is an I/O pin with internal pullups that can source 20mA. R1288 goes straight to ground so it could really be anything from 300 ohms up. Do any of the resistors labeled R1289 to R1295 exist on the board? They all pull down port lines similar to pin 62, I'm sure you could measure those and figure out what you need to replace R1288.

Edit: As has been pointed out in later posts the resistor is zero ohms. If you want to tie a logic input low you just need to ground it. A low value resistor could be used but there is no point. Digital electronics 101.
Last edited by VK3ALB on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi

The same resistors in the FT-8900 are shown in the parts list as zero ohms.

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Thanks Iain,

That makes sense.
Lou - VK3ALB

VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

Thanks for the input guys.

There are no other resistors on my radio. They program different freq limits, for europe and such.

Its could be a zero ohm link. But I'm not going to try it until I get confirmation of that. I was the radio back to standard, but I want it to keep working even more :)
VK2CJC

Post by VK2CJC »

Just got confirmation from Yaesu. As suspected, R1288 is a zero ohm link.
2E0IKK

Post by 2E0IKK »

Hi new to the forum but looks great. Can some one please tell me witch links need to be replaced to put it back to uk limits. Thanks pete 2EOIKK