Come for a climb up THIS tower

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Re: Come for a climb up THIS tower

Post by VK2CSW »

VK2FAK wrote:...

I wonder if the helmet is just incase someone drops a Tool....it sure ain't going to help if he falls off.
Actually in this case the most important part of the helmet is the name written on the inside. It helps the Coroner identify which pile of squished organs is which...

:lol:
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

There's nothing funny about seeing a person that has suffered a violent death from a fall or motor vehicle incident.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

Actually, there is. Especially if it is their own fault.
The evidence to support this is all over the internet with youtube videos, several Jackass movies and the Darwin Awards.

So while it's sad that somebody gets hurt or killed unless it's personal I don't really care and humour is one way society deals with horrible issues.
Bad things happen to nice people, but bad things happen more frequently to stupid people.

Helmets do seem to be a bit trivial sometimes, but I wouldn't like to be under a falling spanner. It's going to sting !
Even a simple one inch nut dropped from a tower can be scary as it bounces of the ironwork on it's way past you.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

Maybe I'm just a bit soft Trash. Hope you never have to see something like that for real.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

That's why I do the training, In the hope I never have to use it.
I've witnessed some horrible road accidents. I don't know how the emergency services people deal with it.
One was a serious motorcycle accident. I did not need to stop, nothing I could have done was going to help me or the body parts.
I later found out through a friend who knew the body parts the amazing story of dark powers of natural selection.
That helps me deal with what I saw quite comfortably.

I would make a lousy nurse. To afraid I might hurt somebody by accident. But I could make a pretty good dentist hurting people deliberately and getting paid for it :mrgreen:
VK6FAAO

Post by VK6FAAO »

This is a video made in response to the original "Stairway to heaven" video where the riggers were free climbing and only hooking on for a break. I'm not sure I'd be relying on a single hook on a foot peg for my safety, I much prefer the pole strap in the second video but I've had practice with those.

I showed the original video to my 5yr old son and he was worried for the climbers safety so I showed him videos of climbers maintaining 100% hook up to show how it is meant to be done.
VK3OP
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3OP »

The obvious piece of safety gear on a tower at these altitudes would be a parachute ! It might actually have time to open and arrest a fall, avoiding entanglement issues of course. You would certainly want to be paying attention to weather and wind forecasts for a climb like that.

Frank VK3OP