What radio to get??

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

What radio to get??

Post by VK2AXL »

I'd be interested in the collective wisdom of the 50MHz horde.

I am considering buying a SSB/CW/FM transceiver to dedicate to full time 50MHz. I don't mind buying something that covers other bands as well so long as that doesn't raise the cost to much.

The last dedicated 6m rig I had was a FT690R2 and linear amp. It served me well but I feel technology may have moved on a little since then.

So assuming you didn't have enough dosh to buy a IC910H or such, what do you feel is a good balance of cost and performance?

How is the Alinco DX70TH on 6m? That's the sort of budget I'm looking at.
Jack VK2AXL
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Re: What radio to get??

Post by VK4GHZ »

VK2AXL wrote:...How is the Alinco DX70TH on 6m? That's the sort of budget I'm looking at.
Jack, you might find this previous discussion of the DX70TH useful?
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

hi Jack, I have an Alinco DX70TH and it is very good on 6M. Sensitivity wise it is as good as my Kenwood TS590. RX and TX audio quality is great out of the box. I would highly recommend the Alinco for the price you wont beat it
regards Wayne VK4WTN
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

VK4GHZ wrote:Jack, you might find this previous discussion of the DX70TH useful?
I did. Thanks.

Only complaints about the DX70 seem to be a dud noise blanker (a complaint which could apply to most of the radios I've owned) and the multi function switch wears out (again not uncommon in other makes).

So the DX70TH is currently running in first place. Is there any other 6m radios worth considering?
Jack VK2AXL
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

VK2AXL wrote:
VK4GHZ wrote:Jack, you might find this previous discussion of the DX70TH useful?
I did. Thanks.

Only complaints about the DX70 seem to be a dud noise blanker (a complaint which could apply to most of the radios I've owned) and the multi function switch wears out (again not uncommon in other makes).

So the DX70TH is currently running in first place. Is there any other 6m radios worth considering?
The Icom IC-706MK2G is worth considering, have just brought one myself and I am very impressed with it. On 6m it would be just as good as the FT847 and better than the TS-680S (I have that for sale) You also have a good portable radio and all the other bands as well.

Cheers

Mike
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Although discontinued an FT950 should fit around that price bracket and they are a really nice rig to use...check out Sherwood reports and you will be surprised what they stack up against- Second hand ? Seem to be around the $1000~1200 mark...
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

I've had a 706. Both original flavour and Mk2G. Its a likable radio and a good all rounder for mobile.

I would love an FT950. I have an FT450 and find it an excellent performer for its price bracket. Possibly the best performer there is in its price bracket.

But these are a little beyond my Alinco-esque spare funds for a 6m rig.

I have been offered another FT690R2 :)
Jack VK2AXL
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2AXL wrote:I've had a 706. Both original flavour and Mk2G. Its a likable radio and a good all rounder for mobile.

I would love an FT950. I have an FT450 and find it an excellent performer for its price bracket. Possibly the best performer there is in its price bracket.

But these are a little beyond my Alinco-esque spare funds for a 6m rig.

I have been offered another FT690R2 :)
As I told you the Alinco is cheap and cheerful , mines working fine and drives the amp on 6m quite well , very affordable rig
VK4TIM
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4TIM »

I use a variety of gear on 6m, with a similar variety in the age of the gear.

Nowdays my mainstay for HF/6m is my IC-756, which seems to be a good performer, previous to that I have an ageing IC-551D that still works very well, I set the ZL DX distabce record using the 551D. The 551D is a monoband radio from the early 1980s though.

I've also used my IC-505 10W monobander for contests on 6m, and even my FT-817, but without an afterburner the FT-817 has it's limitatioins as a DX radio, but I've still worked out to 3500km on the 817 barefoot on 6m.

A radio like my IC-756 in good condition should be worth around $750 to $850 as a guess. It's now about 12 years old.
Tim, VK4TIM.
QG62MM, Brisbane.
VK2AXL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2AXL »

How do the IC551 and 505 receivers compare with more modern equipment?

I have been offered a FT680R, but having owned a FT480R I know the receivers are disappointing. They were when they were new, never mind now.
Jack VK2AXL
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

I had an IC-505 for a (short) while and it was a fairly basic rig which had a (common) fault with the IF leaking around the SSB filter....this was fixable with some
coax-cable-braid straps attached to various PCB grounds/earths.

If the 10W (built-in) linear PA was used with the attached telescopic antenna the whole thing 'took off' and made 'christmas trees' all over the band....not so desirable.

I still have my IC-551D which now needs some electrolytic capacitors replaced to get the optical-coupler VFO to run again...the rig is 30+ years old.

Spoilt I am now with my IC-7600 which is outstanding on HF/6m. An IC-7000 is used here on 144MHz SSB and sometimes /m on all it's HF/VHF/UHF bands.

A new addition to my shack is the IC-7100 - which I am still 'learning'....but its DSP NR is a great improvement over the IC-7000 - especially on 144/432MHz.

I own some fairly new rigs...but little else. :)