Digital Modes on 6?

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK5AW

Digital Modes on 6?

Post by VK5AW »

Is there are summary here of digital modes in use on 6m in Oz?
I am not looking for deep detail, just an idea of what to expect when I get a decent antenna up as there is no local activity in my bush location.
Thanks,
Adrian VK5AW
VK2KRR

Re: Digital Modes on 6?

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Adrian

There is a good thread on 6m WSPR Digital mdoe. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9930

I think there is limited operation on JT65 and also FSK441 also at times. But there is usually someone running 6m WSPR most times, and as it happens, there is a good chance that I will have something running again on 6m WSPR in the near future.

I think I saw you trying 2m WSPR with VK5LA? was this not successfull ?
VK5AW

Post by VK5AW »

Hi Leigh, Yes, the 2M WSPR worked well.....one way! I determined that I needed to make another interface for the 2M (Yaesu) radio cos another one worked well from my Icom mobile, but Andy could not decode my Yaesu. I have the bits that I need, but got to messing around on 6 for this season. If there is next to no activity I can swap the antenna on the rotator easily. Would I get better results with a beam on 2m rather than 6? IE, are there better possibilities for digital work on 2M?
Adrian
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

hi Adrian,
there are several stations that operate FSK441 and ISCAT B on 50.230 most mornings via Meteor scatter, VK2BLS and VK5RM/p4 are both keen 6M digi men. Hope to work you soon
regards Wayne VK4WTN
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Adrian,
The Yaesu rig was possibly not stable enough (to drifty) to be decoded on 2m. Its a common issue.

Not an easy question about the 2m or 6m bands on digital.
Really on 2m tropo there is only 2m WSPR unless pre-arranged JT65 on the logger etc. There are FSK441 meteor scatter sessions on 2m WSPR also, usually sat and sun mornings early. The amount of stations on 2m WSPR changes through the day and through the week/weekend. (of course there is also EME to try)

There is usually people on 6m WSPR but then your waiting for sporadic E usually, but will still work on tropo but not as good as 2m. Then you also have FSK441 meteor scatter as Wayne suggested.

I think the activity will be similar, it might come down to personal preference. I think you would get more contacts on 2m, but they wont be as far as on 6m usually unless via meteor scatter. How about putting up antenna for each band ?
VK5AW

Post by VK5AW »

Hey Leigh, and any others, I have been messing with trying FSK441 for the weekend, But I cant get it to Tx, using the CQ button. It is set the same as WSPR and Digipan, which both switch the tx ok. So I figure that there is something else to be done. Any ideas or a link to a guide is welcome. I click on the Monitor button to see the trace on the PC.
I found lots of operating info re techniques, but no technical set up tips. Beats me!
Adrian
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Adrian

Unless it has changed, you press the AUTO IS OFF button. That was checked on WSJT version 5.9.7.
VK7DB

Post by VK7DB »

What about APRS on 53.05?
VK2BLS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2BLS »

Hi Adrian,

Go into 'Setup' on your top bar, then 'Options'

Check your entries for:

- Mycall = yours
- Grid Loc = yours
- ID interval = can leave at 0 or ID each x Mins
- PTT = If using a Signalink leave at 0, or this will be your COM port No.? to Tx
- Audio in = USB port ? from Rx
- Audio Out = USB port ? to mike-
- Rest can be default

One of your three WSJT screen shows the Audio input and output device settings that have opened.
You will see 'User Requested" and 'Will Open' settings.
When you change the settings in 'Options', these will change.
Close WSJT and settings save.
Boot in again and see new settings.
May take a few plays to find the correct match that work.

Does WSJT Tx box go yellow when you push a button? If it does and Tx not fire up, then wrong Com port is selected.

Once you get things talking, plenty help on logger for how to play.

GL,
Darrell vk2bls

If you are pushing a button and no tx, then prob not correct setting talking to Txvr.
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Adrian, in the setup for WSJT, check in the advanced for the radio button called "PTT Line" Mine is set to be DTR but your might be RTS which would be toggling the wrong line on the serial port (been caught here with that)
VK5AW wrote:Hey Leigh, and any others, I have been messing with trying FSK441 for the weekend, But I cant get it to Tx, using the CQ button. It is set the same as WSPR and Digipan, which both switch the tx ok. So I figure that there is something else to be done. Any ideas or a link to a guide is welcome. I click on the Monitor button to see the trace on the PC.
I found lots of operating info re techniques, but no technical set up tips. Beats me!
Adrian
Peter, vk5pj (Barossa Valley) CU on six meters digital
VK5AW

Post by VK5AW »

<Does WSJT Tx box go yellow when you push a button?> Yep (the CQ button), and audio is running if I hit the TX button on the radio. No Vox function :(

If it does and Tx not fire up, then wrong Com port is selected.

Its a HP notebook with one com port. COM! works for other software....what numbers should I try?

Adrian
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Adrian,
VK5AW wrote:<Does WSJT Tx box go yellow when you push a button?> Yep (the CQ button), and audio is running if I hit the TX button on the radio. No Vox function :(
If it does and Tx not fire up, then wrong Com port is selected.
Its a HP notebook with one com port. COM! works for other software....what numbers should I try?
Adrian
Can you sent your settings.ini or wsjt.ini (not near the shack PC to check its name) then I can fire it up here and see what it tells me.

Regards,
Peter, vk5pj ( pedroj@bordernet.com.au )
VK5AW

Post by VK5AW »

OK, done thanks Peter.
Adrian