SKs USA

A place to remember those who have become a Silent Key (SK)
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

SKs USA

Post by VK3ZAZ »

Wayne Green, W2NSD
Wayne S. Green II, W2NSD ("Never Say Die"), of Hancock, New Hampshire, died September 13. He was 91. A well-known and often outspoken figure during what some consider Amateur Radio's golden years in the 1950s and 1960s, Green helmed CQ Magazine for 5 years before becoming the self-proclaimed "El Supremo and Founder" in 1960 of 73 magazine, which he published until 2003.

"The purpose of [73] at that time was to get more hams building equipment," Green recounted in a radio interview several years ago. A hallmark of 73 was Green's iconic, rambling and wide-ranging "Never Say Die" editorials, in which he rarely missed an opportunity to tweak the ARRL and his magazine competitors for their perceived shortcomings. ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ, said Green maintained his membership in the ARRL despite being a persistent critic.

"Wayne will be remembered in many different ways by many different people, but he will be long remembered," Sumner added. "In the early days of packet radio he gave me some good advice as to how the ARRL should promote the new technology: 'Talk about it as if everybody's doing it, and eventually they will be.'"

Indeed, Green often was ahead of the curve in promoting such technologies as single-sideband phone, solid-state, FM, and the marriage of computers and ham radio, and he went on to found and publish Byte and other computer-oriented publications. "I live mostly in the future," Green was quoted as saying.

ARRL Publications Manager and QST Editor Steve Ford, WB8IMY, got his start writing for Green. "Wayne published my first article way back in 1975," he said. "I still have a photocopy of the check he sent."

Green maintained a larger-than-life presence, even in the years after he faded from the Amateur Radio spotlight, and he never did really retire. "Hey old buddy, I will miss you," radio talk show host Art Bell, W6OBB, posted to Wayne Green's blog. "NEVER SAY DIE is a phrase that will be with me till it's my time." Green was an occasional guest on Bell's "Coast to Coast AM" overnight talk program. There hardly was an issue that Green would not confront, and he expounded a variety of unconventional science, health, and medical theories -- from cold fusion and the moon landing to AIDS and cancer cures. He continued to write and speak frequently on these topics and others, as well as on public policy, even at hamfests where he was a guest.

The "final" in his blog sums up Green's overarching philosophy. "Wayne Green passed away September 13, 2013 in a peaceful, painless transition from this life on Earth. An eternal optimist, and one who loved to share his never-ending zest for life, he was a friend to many and will be missed greatly. Wayne was not afraid of dying and was very much ready to embark on his next great adventure to the afterlife."

Silent Keys: Palomar Engineers President Jack Althouse, K6NY, SK -- Was "Kurt N. Sterba"
As "Kurt N. Sterba," Althouse wrote a regular WorldRadio "Aerials" column and several articles and books.

Palomar Engineers President John E. "Jack" Althouse, K6NY, of San Diego, California, died September 15 after suffering a massive stroke. He was 90. With his death, his alter ego "Kurt N. Sterba," who penned the "Aerials" columns from 1999 until 2012 and authored books on antennas for WorldRadio, also passes into Amateur Radio history.

Althouse graduated from the University of Nebraska with a BS in electrical engineering. He held an MS in electrical engineering from the University of Iowa. Last summer Althouse announced that he had disposed of most of his product line, since he would be "semi-retired" and entering an independent living facility. He remained active on the air until earlier this year.

Palomar Engineers, the Escondido company he operated, may become a thing of the past as well. A message on the company's website says Palomar Engineers is "temporarily closed" and "not taking orders at this time." A regular QST advertiser, Palomar marketed balun kits, RFI kits, toroids and ferrite cores and beads. It once offered antennas and other accessories.

Althouse's family has not yet decided the future of Palomar Engineers but directed questions to an e-mail address. The family said outstanding orders either would be canceled and any funds refunded or fulfilled if the item could be located.
Tread your own path :om:
VK6SIX
Frequent Poster

Re: SKs USA

Post by VK6SIX »

Yes i always wondered who Kurt n Sturba was.

I also subscribed to 73 mag for many years and he even published some articles i wrote back in the early 90s.

Two great hams we have lost.

Many memories...