SK: Mitch (Mule) Hamilton VK5AZM

A place to remember those who have become a Silent Key (SK)
VK3CM
Forum Novice

SK: Mitch (Mule) Hamilton VK5AZM

Post by VK3CM »

I was sitting here tonight and I happened to see the Silent Keys section of VK logger and I wanted to give tribute to a Ham radio operator who had such a huge influence in my life both professionally and socially.

Mitch Hamilton, VK5AZM adopted me as a project in my first few years of my apprenticeship in the Radio Electronics field. Mitch was instrumental in teaching me to think outside the square in more than just electronics, he was just a master of seeing things from a perspective that I lacked at times at such a young age. I remember learning so many lessons from Mitch and even at the age of 48, I still remember and apply so much of the groundwork you contributed so many years ago. I suppose this is a note to say, Mitch, you are respected and will always be remembered.

Mitch died suddenly in his 50's and it came as a huge shock to a great number of us who enjoyed his company when we crossed paths over the many years of fun we shared.

Vale Mitch Hamilton..........
VK3CM
VK5ACY

Re: Mitch (Mule) Hamilton VK5AZM

Post by VK5ACY »

I was at Brighton High School in the 1970s when I met Mitch at the school Electronics Club.

Over the next 40 years I learned a great deal from Mitch...and still clearly remember my first ever contact on Amateur Radio - with 'Mule' of course.

He is missed...

Bill VK5ACY
BOWHILL S.A.
PF95sb
VK3ZAZ
Forum Diehard

Re: SK: Mitch (Mule) Hamilton VK5AZM

Post by VK3ZAZ »

In 1975 while on vacation in Adelaide my wife and I were involved in an altercation with some hoons in cars at windy point, we were talking on 2M FM to Mitch.
when the hoons came up to the car and made lewd comments at my girl..
We got chased down from Windy point and used 2M fm to talk to Mitch who alerted Glenelg police as we raced down Sturt road through red lights
Mitch taped the events and you could hear my wife screaming in the background after we nearly got rammed.
Police caught the hoons red handed and arrested them in Jetty Road Glenelg at gunpoint.
They were charged with conduct endangering life as they tried to ram us and threw a full beer bottle through the back window
We had late night cofee at Mitches house that night to calm our frayed nerves.
Mitches tape and testimony obtained convictions at Marion court in 1976.
Thanks Mitch again.
We owe you our lives.

Steve and Shirley Gregory VK3ZAZ VK3NSG
Tread your own path :om: