Foundation class and 6m access

ACMA, Licencing, and Examination discussion
VK2FIFA

Re: Foundation class and 6m access

Post by VK2FIFA »

Hi Guys

Collectively love your work and the F-Call bashing.
The enquiry was about how the F-Call band access and determination was arrived at, nothing more, nothing less.

VK4TS - "If he wants a feel for 6M stop studying and he could try 27Mhz", nothing short of crap - good job Trent, impeccably compartmentalised as usual, you are a legend?

VK5PO - "How many times do we have to hear this story....." and the associated blah blah blah - John, take two Mogadons, go to bed, I will see you when I am looking at you.
VK5PO - "Pressure of other things???????" - Would like nothing better to explain why, how and what the pressure "was on me", to you face-to-face. Regrettably I suspect my explanation will be completely lost on you - albeit you are nonetheless better for it!

VK7DX - "This post reminds me of those dying child emails." - No dying child sunshine. Ummm. Another one who is unable to read into the question.

VK4TS - "They want it on a plate............Silver preferably" - Here we go again. Ummm. Another one who is unable to read into the question.

Any feedback appreciated
PS - I have upgraded to an A-Call !!

Regards George - VK2FIFA
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

what can I say???

John
Last edited by VK5PO on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK3VB
Forum Novice

Post by VK3VB »

Great read on a cold Saturday afternoon :)
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

This salient point might get a run more often than I thought.
Read whatever you like into it.
Musings on mental health by a licensed therapist wrote:
The dictionary defines defensive as "a state or posture of defense".
It is a reaction to someone else that comes from anxiety, fear, guilt or insecurity.

Defensiveness is an emotional response rather than a logical one. Someone has hit a nerve. Someone has pushed a button. And off you go.
You are reacting rather than acting.

Look at the last time you snapped at someone, withdrew into a deadly silence, or played the blame game. You were probably being defensive.
Defensiveness is an overreaction to the actions of another.

It's taking things personally which are not.
Source: Kellevision
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK2FIFA wrote:Hi Guys

The enquiry was about how the F-Call band access and determination was arrived at, nothing more, nothing less.

VK4TS - "If he wants a feel for 6M stop studying and he could try 27Mhz", nothing short of crap - good job Trent, impeccably compartmentalised as usual, you are a legend?

VK5PO - "How many times do we have to hear this story....." and the associated blah blah blah - John, take two Mogadons, go to bed, I will see you when I am looking at you.
VK5PO - "Pressure of other things???????" - Would like nothing better to explain why, how and what the pressure "was on me", to you face-to-face. Regrettably I suspect my explanation will be completely lost on you - albeit you are nonetheless better for it!

VK7DX - "This post reminds me of those dying child emails." - No dying child sunshine. Ummm. Another one who is unable to read into the question.

VK4TS - "They want it on a plate............Silver preferably" - Here we go again. Ummm. Another one who is unable to read into the question.

Any feedback appreciated

Regards George - VK2FIFA
I will add on e further quote from the thread

"Hook up a pep watt meter to the average foundation license station and turn the output of the transmitter down to the correct 10 watts PEP level...sit back and listen to the howls of "No one can hear me now"...

maybe if the foundation licence power level was a little bit higher they could be heard and then there would be no need to go illegal.

The foundation licence was the best thing that happened to the community - it gave them something to complain about and keep them busy during the current bad solar cycle
John
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2FIFA

Post by VK2FIFA »

Hi John,

Did not expect to be back so soon.

Again as I posted earlier, I have studied, been examined, and await the upgrade - which brings all the privileges within 6M.
I look forward to speaking with you sooner rather than later.

Regards - George VK2FIFA
VK7DX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7DX »

Now thats the way to do it,
Congrats and well done.

cheers
Frank
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

VK2MUS wrote:
VK2FIFA wrote:Hi Guys

Any feedback appreciated

Regards George - VK2FIFA
I will add on e further quote from the thread

"Hook up a pep watt meter to the average foundation license station and turn the output of the transmitter down to the correct 10 watts PEP level...sit back and listen to the howls of "No one can hear me now"...

maybe if the foundation licence power level was a little bit higher they could be heard and then there would be no need to go illegal.

The foundation licence was the best thing that happened to the community - it gave them something to complain about and keep them busy during the current bad solar cycle
John
Could I also add that during the recent 80m Trans Tasman Contest there were a number of F calls that did very well- I'm pretty sure I ended up finishing behind a couple & I went to a lot of effort... There was, to my knowledge, no suggestion that they weren't operating according to their licence conditions. What they were proving was that with some effort to set up a good station with an effective antenna- then combined with good operating procedures... they can compete with high power stations. 10W is plenty... If only some others stopped their whinging and followed the lead they set.

Cheers

Richard
VK2AAH
VK/9V1CJ

Post by VK/9V1CJ »

Just some musings of my own, perhaps not directly related to this thread.

I'm an F call here in Australia, but by virtue of my Singapore AR Licence, I'm recognised as having a technical equivalent to an advanced class holder in Australia, and as such, am able to operate with full privileges accorded to that class.

Now one fine day Doug (VK4ADC) graciously gave me a short coaching session prior to the Australian Foundation Licence exam. Guess what? I probably would have failed had he not "insisted" on the coaching session. My knowledge of HF was (and frankly still is) pathetic, and if you asked me a few hours ago if the end of an antenna had a high current or high voltage I would have given you a blank look (thankfully I now can recall, having spent 5+ hours researching the inverted L antenna).

Now on the other hand I consider myself reasonably competent in VHF/UHF. I'm no EME or WSPR expert but I'm not going to electrocute myself. Admittedly, this is a "forgiving band" in my own words. However, when I found out that I was limited to FM/AM voice only I was quite miserable.

tl:dr A licence doesn't always correspond with a person's technical knowledge. Sometimes too, certain privileges should be re-evaluated.

N.B. I still do not operate on HF, the ICOM IC706 sitting around collecting dust.
Last edited by VK/9V1CJ on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

VK2FIFA wrote:Hi John,

Did not expect to be back so soon.

Again as I posted earlier, I have studied, been examined, and await the upgrade - which brings all the privileges within 6M.
I look forward to speaking with you sooner rather than later.

Regards - George VK2FIFA
Very good

"If he wants a feel for 6M stop studying and he could try 27Mhz by some of the performances and dummy spitting yesterday - hope that its not what this cycle is going to be like but alas I think it is... "

That was my complete quote if you would like to quote someone out of context - I was in fact referring to some disgraceful operating that occurred on 6M and was not having a dig at F calls. I was suggesting that there was little difference how some of the fraternity can carry on when they are upset..

Congratulations on the upgrade
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK1VMA

Post by VK1VMA »

VK4WDM wrote:So where are the STD calls who want 6m contacts?
Right here! :) I've generally found 52MHz to be dead, with the exception of some occasional FM activity. You're certainly among a minority of operators who stray up to 52MHz.

About the only time I've made any contacts on 6 are on VHF/UHF Field Day, where I've had a full call "wingman" alerting his contacts on 50MHz to my presence on 52.100.

That said, I'm not going to whinge about the situation as I've got a full call upgrade in the works. Problem solved!