One of those days...

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

One of those days...

Post by VK2CSW »

After a day of dealing with a series of glaring examples of incompetence and disillusioned colleagues at work, I arrived home from work today to find that SWMBO had left the freezer door open, again. Not just ajar - but wide open with a drawer fully open too.

This is not an irregular occurrence, so I nutted out a quick 555 based timer circuit and headed to the local electronics parts retailer. I just wanted a few odds and sods to make a device that would scream its tits off after 30 seconds of the door being open.

One of the components I wanted was a 0.1uF cap. Well that's how I wrote it down. I couldn't find one on the shelves, so I grabbed 100NF instead. On my list I wrote down the part numbers off the shelf.

After a brief discussion with a staff member about whether a N.C. reed switch exists, I picked one up and headed to the counter. Being helpful I handed the bloke my list of parts and part numbers.

This is where the confusion really started.

My list said 0.1uF. The computer said the part number I wrote down was for 100NF.

"Really?" I said.

"What is the part number for a 0.1uF?" I asked

"We don't carry those" was the reply after some keyboard tapping.

"It's been a while since I learned the maths but I am pretty sure that 0.1uF is the same as 100NF."

"That can't be right, uF and NF are different things..."

"It's OK, I'll change my design a little to use the 100NF."

"Are you sure it will work?"

"Only one way to find out isn't there."

Honestly I was so underwhelmed, I almost gave up and walked out of the store without buying the bits.

Now I admit I am not that bright, and my maths can suck at times but moving a decimal point three places isn't that hard is it?
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: One of those days...

Post by VK3ALB »

Never would have happened at Dick Smith . . . . . . . 30 years ago :wink:
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

Fundamental design flaw, Colin........your circuit needs to scream HER tits off! :lol:

But I sympathise with you. Actually, have you considered that maybe you approached the design from an "old-fashioned" analogue perspective? Way too simple. These days the design approach would be digital - a fashionable microcontroller running arcane code with a programmable time-out period and user-defined alarms. Others may wish to contribute ideas towards its functionality. As appropriate with such projects, its scope will never be fully defined, and the design never "bedded down". Ideally, software updates should crash in order to have real credibility.

Chas
VK3PY
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

do it digital with an interface to a robotic arm to close the flaming door
screaming its tits off is not going to cl;ose the door
John
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

A spring perhaps?
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2JDH

Post by VK2JDH »

my freezer has a beeper on it, for when the door is left open.

PS I think you are being a bit precious.
VK5APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5APN »

Back to the original post.

I can remember being in a DSE store back in the 80's.

I noticed the confused look on one of the staff members trying to locate R1, R2, C1, C2.... in their catalogue. There was a young kit builder trying to source all of the components to his next EA kit at the counter.

I just rolled my eyes and walked out, trying not to laugh (too loudly) :roll:

Wayne
VK2AVR

Post by VK2AVR »

VK2CSW wrote:After a day of dealing with a series of glaring examples of incompetence and disillusioned colleagues at work
and customers.. don't forget the customers!
"That can't be right, uF and NF are different things..."
Sadly, electronics retailers have been on a downhill slide ever since I stopped working for one :P

I have a favourite saying "stupid should hurt", but what I didn't anticipate was that it hurts my head trying to work out what could possibly be going on in their head....

anyway, that's a neat idea Colin. simple and useful. until SWMBO works out how to unplug the screamer anyway "one of Colin's annoying bloody gadgets" :lol:
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

A few years ago I had a chat with a new employee at an electronics store. He said, "Yeah I'm really glad I got this job, I'm a poet (yes really) and I can't find any work. At least this job will help keep food on the table". He readily agreed he knew nothing about electronics. So here's a guy who just needs a job and who's boss saw fit to employ him even though he knew he had no electronics skills. What to do?

Sometimes it works out OK. In the early 80's I worked for a Melbourne electronics supplier. One of the guys behind the jump had zero idea about electronics but he knew the catalog inside out. He knew how to make intelligent substitutions of component values. He knew how to cross reference transistors and other semiconductors to find suitable replacements. He knew his multipliers. He was the perfect guy to field 90% of all the questions that we'd normally get from buyers. He knew the rules and how to work with them.

I recall being asked by one of the junior staff if we stocked 180 minute VHS tape. He didn't bat an eyelid when I told him we only stocked 3 hour tapes and happily went off to tell the customer we were out of stock. :roll:

I think the best we can do is smile and remember we can always come here and relate our latest adventures.

Colin, what about wedging a couple of blocks of wood under the freezer in such a way that gravity always forces the door to swing shut?
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3AMZ
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AMZ »

Ah Lou....it's the simple things! It's not complicated, plus simple and easy too implement.

Conversely...get rid of the freezer! (or the person that keeps it open :D )

73's
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK3ALB wrote:Never would have happened at Dick Smith . . . . . . . 30 years ago :wink:
you have three choices , accept it , screw the front feet down more or add some string a weight and a pulley
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

I did consider briefly using this as an excuse to get a Arduino development kit, and go all digital on the problem - then I really couldn't muster the energy - Learning new stuff? Pffffffffffffffffffftttttttttt.

The chock idea wont work as it is an upright freezer with drawers - the draws are the issue.

This is how I found it the other day:
IMAG0137.jpg
Anyhoo, I'll knock it together on the weekend and see what happens.

I have considered a trade in on the one leaving the door open - the change-over prices is enormous...

:)
VK5TM

Post by VK5TM »

You could always change the freezer for one without draws.

Solves half the problem. :)
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK2CSW wrote:.....I have considered a trade in on the one leaving the door open - the change-over prices is enormous...

That'd likely be THE most expensive decision you ever made :cry:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2GFR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2GFR »

VK2CSW wrote: I have considered a trade in on the one leaving the door open - the change-over prices is enormous...
Of course you're not blaming the poor dumb freezer????
BTW would the hassle (for another wife/significant other) be worth-it in the long run?
Simple... just empty the freezer & lob it all in another in the garage/shed/under house.
Then wait for the banshee cries..... Hmmm.
Mark, VK2GFR
Seven Hills
QF56LF