Unlock WSJT 9 extra modes

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Unlock WSJT 9 extra modes

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi,
the process of unlocking WSJT9 should be easy but it requires the creation of a marker file, this file needs no content but and there is always a but, it has to have no file extension.

This method may not suite all people, I hope there is enough there to guide you through.

The file is called "experimental" not "experimental.txt" or any other variation. Here is the twist in many flavours of windows the option to show file extensions is disabled unless you changed it, which makes creating the file hard as when you create it in NOTEPAD it actually has a .txt extension but that is not shown to you :?

Okay, here is the EASY way to do this in Windows 7. open file explorer, navigate to the directory above where your WSJT files are stored, in that I mean you can see the WSJT folder name in the list, select the WSJT folder (single click) then hold down the shift key and right click on the WSJT folder. In the list of things you can do is "Open Command window here" yes the ugly old DOS window, so please select that.

Okay in the black background window we need to type a command, followed by enter key twice then Ctrl Z (hold Ctrl and press Z)

copy con experimental

ctrl Z
Creating the experimental file
Creating the experimental file
you can use the command exit to close this window and then are all done :D

For those of you who want to know what you just did, you instructed the CMD processor to copy content from the console (where you are typing and put it into a container (file) called experimental. The Crtl Z at the end is the END OF FILE marker that is seen by the console as the close command.

so if you typed:
copy con hello.txt
this is a test
Yes really this is a test
Crtl Z

Then you would have a text file called hello.txt with those lines of text in it.
(I started with DOS 2.11 back in the early 1980's and have kept my DOS skills alive)
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Re: Unlock WSJT 9 extra modes

Post by VK4MIL »

Nice Work PJ would it be OK if I copied that I'm putting a web page together focused on M/s activity sessions
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Yes can copy or link to here...
VK4MIL wrote:Nice Work PJ would it be OK if I copied that I'm putting a web page together focused on M/s activity sessions
Peter, 5pj
VK2LK
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2LK »

Awesome - this just bought back a memory of my father teaching me the same thing back in the late 80s when I was a lad!

Thanks for the inadvertent trip down memory lane :)
VK5PJ wrote:Then you would have a text file called hello.txt with those lines of text in it.
(I started with DOS 2.11 back in the early 1980's and have kept my DOS skills alive)
Matt, VK2LK
VK2BLS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2BLS »

Late starter here Peter, Commodore basic in 1983. Programmed a CW decoder was in AR. Actually worked with a H/B interface.
Upgraded to PC's when they cracked the $3k barrier. Got a 286, 1Mg Ram, 30 Meg H/D, EGA Monitor were on special with Dos 3.2, excellent DOS user manual, you could read it cover to cover.

The rich guys at work had 386's, 40M H/D & VGA , abt $5Kish.

Although, the BOS, (real rich single guy) had a MAC. (I got the same 'working' model at Vinnies, cupla years back for $30.)

Bulletin boards were fantastic, you could download software over the phone ..... and order stuff from Dick Smith with a modem!! Bloody magic.

Still got the Commodore & RTTY cartridge and Dr. DX CW simulator was great.

DOS was great when the brain could remember stuff.

But, don't remember ever having a 'Blue Screen' with DOS......

WSJT9 & HRD back then, Michael J. Fox stuff....

Thanks, from another memory lane walker... cheers, Darrell vk2bls
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Col VK4MIL has provided a great reference to this too

http://vk4mil.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/m ... -help.html
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/