Programs for receiving CW

VK4WDM

Programs for receiving CW

Post by VK4WDM »

OK, the tradionalists had better stop their ears and avert their eyes! Lets talk about computer programs for receiving CW.

I have never been a CW "expert" but I consider it an essential skill, especially for long-haul Dx on 6m. Like a lot of hams I have let the skill get rusty during the quiet years and now with cycle 24 looming I have to do some serious practice.

Unfortunately I suffer from a progressive hearing loss due to a number of years in a job where there was lots noise and hearing protection was for wimps.

As a consequence, copying CW is becoming more and more difficult. It mainly affects the higher pitches and using the clarifier to change the pitch does help somewhat. I still do ok but tend to miss things, and "sod's law" means that they will always be the important bits like call signs and reports even with cans on. The bad news is that it is only going to get worse as I get older.

I would like to hear from anyone who is using CW receiving programs, and what they consider the best. I have CWGet. It works ok with machine-sent morse provided there is not too much QRM. I have tried MRP but I find it very tricky to get the cursor in the right place and it seems to be very pitch sensitive.

I know that nothing can really replace the wonderous computer between my ears but a computer readout would provide a handy back up.

Wayne
VK2FLAW

Re: Programs for receiving CW

Post by VK2FLAW »

I suggest you try Digital Master 780 which is part of the Ham Radio Deluxe suite.
http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/Downloa ... fault.aspx
I just gave it a go, and it seems to do okay, but I wouldnt hold much hope on weak signal work with Morse.

There always seems to be some difficulty decoding Morse, compared to the digital modes no matter what you use.