4 x Yagis
No votes
Other
50%

Total votes: 2

VK2KRR

Where are the VK6's ??

Post by VK2KRR »

I found it interesting that the WIA AGM was held in Perth. As from what I can see there is very little active amateurs in VK6 :shock: :?:

But in any case, where are the VK6 stations on 144 MHz and above?? :?:
I see regularly on the 2m logger and chat, stations from VK1, VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5 and less regularly VK7.
I saw 1 x VK6 on today which was good but no spots were logged.

The only active station I am aware of in VK6 is Derek VK6DZ who does a great job running 2m WSPR from near Albany. Although Derek doesn't seem to frequent the logger now days so it seems.

I often see good propagation along the west coast via Marine Tracking, but I would rather see some real live contacts being made by amateurs on the amateur bands.

Is there any other activity on 2m and above in W.A ? :?: (besides VK6DZ on WSPR)
If so, are there any issues or problems with being on the VK Logger and logging contacts, beacons or repeaters? Chatting? What are these issues?

Generally as long as the logger has been running there has been little activity spotted over in WA. Has it always been this way prior to the logger being developed and is what we are seeing now just par for the course? so to speak.

I do recall when Bill VK6AS was active in Esperance he used to make contacts into Perth, I guess Wally VK6WG did also. Now that these two legends are gone, has the rest of the activity from the SW corner of WA dropped away as well ?
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Re: Where are the VK6's ??

Post by VK6ADF »

You already know the answer Leigh as it's probably the same answer you have received previously. Activity seems to more HF based in the West. My excuse, I don't have any antenna's up at present.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Phil, no I didn't know that about HF, thanks for responding.
They were legitimate questions.
I think there may have been some sort of 2m skeds between VK6WG and Perth, and now Im wondering since Wally has passed away if the rest of the activity has gone also?
I dont know what on air activity there is, if any in WA?
I dont know if there are issues with the logger in WA?
I dont know if the apparant lack of activity is normal in times before the logger?

I may have posted a similar question before, its good to get an update.
ADMIN
Dumb Schmuck

Post by ADMIN »

I remember reading, a number of years back, Gordon ex VK2ZAB, ex VK6???, ex VK3???, now VK3EJ commenting on his move from VK2 to VK6, and the complete lack of VHF activity/interest over there.
That may have been a factor in his returning to the East.
Leading horses to water since 2005.
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

ADMIN wrote:I remember reading, a number of years back, Gordon ex VK2ZAB, ex VK6???, ex VK3???, now VK3EJ commenting on his move from VK2 to VK6, and the complete lack of VHF activity/interest over there.
To be fair the WA VHF group (which may be the country's only dedicated non-repeater VHF club) does has an extensive beacon network. VK6s HK & KZ et all have done a lot of work with the over-the water path from Cape Naturaliste northwards. There have been significant achievements from VK6 on 6 metres.

Installing beacons everywhere was a really smart thing for VK6s to do because there are too many hours of the day and too few amateurs spread over too large a distance to have a reasonable chance of making a random contact. The sort of 300 - 800 km contacts that sustain activivity in the east between openings isn't that easy in the west. Anywhere between Brisbane and Adelaide one can set up on a peak between two cities and work people in several directions with a moderate to good setup on a VHF field day. Much less so in WA, where the closest sizable city is Adelaide (2000km) and that's on the wrong side of the scarp (though that's fixable by going 300 - 700km to Cape Leeuwin/Albany/Esperance).

If you're going to do VHF in WA you'd probably aim for stuff indepedent of local activity, eg building beacons, own projects or EME. Or just very local communication such as FM simplex which is one reason why VK6 often wins the RD contest. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to invest money and time in making contacts with the same handful of people that you'd probably need to phone first anyway.

It's similar with the lower HF bands. VK6 might have 10% of the population of the east, but activity on a band like 40 metres may be 5% that of the east since there isn't much in the distances that bands like 7 MHz shine (ie the 300 - 1000km area). Instead of getting a 40m contact after making 4 CQ calls on average, the figure for WA might be 80 which would test people's patience. So naturally HF would be skewed towards DXing where the lack of local population is an advantage rather than a disadvantage.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6ADF »

During the WIA conference, the Peel Amateur Radio Group, The Hills Amateur Radio Group, Northern Corridor Radio Group and the WA VHF Group ( yes there actually is a thriving,active Group with that name) were active using the VI103WIA callsign from what I read. Mostly on HF I think including the VHF Group :wink: .

I seem to remember VK6FM (I think was his call) use to have daily morning skeds on VHF to Albany, presumably with Wally. VK6FM was in Waikiki which is about 45Km south of Perth. I never met him but I remember seeing his antenna which was a multi element yagi up around 10 metres high or more. Around the same period in time,the late 70's early 80's, my old boss VK6ZT was often on 70cm moon bounce with a large dish also in the same area.

Not forgetting Wayne VK6JR does fly the flag for WA VHF activity at times.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK3YE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3YE »

VK6ADF wrote:I seem to remember VK6FM (I think was his call) use to have daily morning skeds on VHF to Albany, presumably with Wally. VK6FM was in Waikiki which is about 45Km south of Perth. I never met him but I remember seeing his antenna which was a multi element yagi up around 10 metres high or more.
VK6FM - Ron Mould - that brings back memories.

Also never met him but often admired the big dish.

That would have been the mid-late '80s.
-------------------------
Peter VK3YE http://www.vk3ye.com

NEW FOR 2019! Illustrated International Ham Radio Dictionary. 200 page Kindle ebook. $AU $5.99. Get yours at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/dictionary.htm
VK6TV

Post by VK6TV »

Well said Peter

You hit the nail on the head, I believe you are from VK6 originally and understand what it is like for many amateurs over this way.

Leigh, I would like to be more active on 2 meters for VK6 to east duct paths but opportunities from Perth to east are very limited. Your best bet would be to drum up support from the Amatuers around Albany.
The west coast does have good tropo openings north/ south in summer, with the Exmouth repeater being reached from Perth but there is again little/ no (ham)population to contact so futile to pursue.
I intend to get active on 6 meters around December/ January so hope to get you there sometime. Are you still listening on 28.390? if so I'll look at for you on the weekends.

Cheers

Milan
VK6KTV

VK3YE wrote:
ADMIN wrote:I remember reading, a number of years back, Gordon ex VK2ZAB, ex VK6???, ex VK3???, now VK3EJ commenting on his move from VK2 to VK6, and the complete lack of VHF activity/interest over there.
To be fair the WA VHF group (which may be the country's only dedicated non-repeater VHF club) does has an extensive beacon network. VK6s HK & KZ et all have done a lot of work with the over-the water path from Cape Naturaliste northwards. There have been significant achievements from VK6 on 6 metres.

Installing beacons everywhere was a really smart thing for VK6s to do because there are too many hours of the day and too few amateurs spread over too large a distance to have a reasonable chance of making a random contact. The sort of 300 - 800 km contacts that sustain activivity in the east between openings isn't that easy in the west. Anywhere between Brisbane and Adelaide one can set up on a peak between two cities and work people in several directions with a moderate to good setup on a VHF field day. Much less so in WA, where the closest sizable city is Adelaide (2000km) and that's on the wrong side of the scarp (though that's fixable by going 300 - 700km to Cape Leeuwin/Albany/Esperance).

If you're going to do VHF in WA you'd probably aim for stuff indepedent of local activity, eg building beacons, own projects or EME. Or just very local communication such as FM simplex which is one reason why VK6 often wins the RD contest. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to invest money and time in making contacts with the same handful of people that you'd probably need to phone first anyway.

It's similar with the lower HF bands. VK6 might have 10% of the population of the east, but activity on a band like 40 metres may be 5% that of the east since there isn't much in the distances that bands like 7 MHz shine (ie the 300 - 1000km area). Instead of getting a 40m contact after making 4 CQ calls on average, the figure for WA might be 80 which would test people's patience. So naturally HF would be skewed towards DXing where the lack of local population is an advantage rather than a disadvantage.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I know there are a couple of keen stations over in WA, but I thought there would be more than just 5 or 6.

There are a few things that VK6 stations could be doing (without having to revert to EME).

What is stopping VHF interested stations in VK6 running 2m WSPR ? ? VK6DZ has been sitting there running his stations for hours with no one else around. You will be surprised how far you can get to. I would be surprised if you couldn't get from Perth to Esperance with a good yagi each end and 20W. There are potential paths into Indonesia from Perth with stations sometimes seen on from the Indonesian end.

Alek VK6APK runs a brilliant marine tracking station with only an omni vertical, his station does show when paths are available to Indonesia.
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/statio ... eader=true

How about this fantastic work from VK6FH? (who I dont think is on marine traffic site)
http://www.vk6fh.com/vk6fh/propagationist.htm
http://www.vk6fh.com/vk6fh/162mhzyagi.htm

Phil VK5AKK and Michael VK5ZEA have recently received 12 Watt FM marine tracking signals from ships west of Perth and north of Perth (and sth). Surely 2m SSB with yagis both ends easy copy.

The WA VHF Group does have some good beacons. But they are rarely spotted on the logger by anyone. When they dont get spotted at least once a month, no one knows what is happening with them.

"Closest sizeable city is Adelaide 2000km", this is then within meteor scatter range of Perth every day. I know there would be a few from Adelaide quite keen.

Point being-
If people do nothing, then nothing is all that will ever happen :!:
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

What is stopping VHF interested stations in VK6 running 2m WSPR ? ? VK6DZ has been sitting there running his station for hours with no one else around. You will be surprised how far you can get to. I would be surprised if you couldn't get from Perth to Esperance with a good yagi each end and 20W. There are potential paths into Indonesia from Perth with stations sometimes seen on from the Indonesian end.
W.A  2m WSPR
W.A 2m WSPR
While my antenna is aimed at Derek VK6DZ, virtually 24/7, my chances of getting through are extremely remote.
A great opportunity for other stations over that way to be active on 2m, test out your digital mode skills, check and tweak your stations performance while also testing out the conditions. Im sure Derek would love to see a few signals pop up on the screen :mrgreen:
VK6XLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6XLR »

I actually find it offensive that VK2KRR is telling us what we should be doing.
If he wants to AIS and WSPR away, so be it. Don't try and force your way on us.

Why does everyone HAVE to use "the logger"? I know that a lot of 6m activity, for example, is logged elsewhere.

Just because we are not logging here doesn't mean there's no activity in VK6.
Rick Kowalewski
-- Perth, WA, 6530 -- OF77xw --
VK6RK
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

It was just an innocent question from Leigh that wasn't meant to be taken personally. All Leigh is doing is trying to encourage some more activity... geez...

8)

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Tnx Nik.. its ok I give up now :arrow:
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Dont panic Leigh - They appear to be happy to play with them-selves...

your post was obviously misread - but sometimes that happens to the best of us... :?
Last edited by VK4TS on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK6XLR wrote:I actually find it offensive that VK2KRR is telling us what we should be doing.
If he wants to AIS and WSPR away, so be it. Don't try and force your way on us.

Why does everyone HAVE to use "the logger"? I know that a lot of 6m activity, for example, is logged elsewhere.

Just because we are not logging here doesn't mean there's no activity in VK6.
Just so I don't damage any fragile little egos in the future, what exactly was offensive about anything in Leigh's posts? :roll: :roll:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

God dammit where is the like button ?
:D
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK6XLR
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6XLR »

VK3DXE wrote:Just so I don't damage any fragile little egos in the future, what exactly was offensive about anything in Leigh's posts? :roll: :roll:
Haha, no fragile egos at all, it's just his attitude in general. The first line says it all really. According to him, there is very little activity in VK6 so why should we have had the right to host the WIA AGM. Rather arrogant I think.

There are contacts happening on a regular basis, but is there a real need to publicize every little minor accomplishment?
I know when my QTH was 400km north of Perth and conditions were right, I'd be on 2 & 70, FM & SSB. There was even a period there where almost every morning of one year, I'd make the contact into Perth on 2m SSB.
Even during my years in Exmouth, 1200km north of Perth and only having a Limited call at the time, I'd be on 2 & 70 during openings. I wonder if any other operator would be so far away from others and only have VHF and above at their disposal. Never had an interest in HF and still don't. My passion is and always will be VHF and above. Having relocated, I'm in the process of rebuilding. Once finished, I'll be active again.

If you read what's said "I can see, I see, I saw, I am, I often see, I would rather see.....", notice the common bit, "I". It's like he who must be obeyed.

And I'll say it again, just because it's not being logged doesn't mean it's not happening. Yes, VK Logger is a great tool, but it's not the be all and end all.
Rick Kowalewski
-- Perth, WA, 6530 -- OF77xw --
VK6RK
VK3PY
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3PY »

A curious thing happened on January 6th this year......... There I was, on a hilltop working ZL's on both 2m and 70cm with HUGE signals at times. Meanwhile, the 2m Albany beacon was roaring in from the west. Lights on, nobody home, as usual. Think about it for a moment - tropo from VK6 to VK3, and VK3 to ZL! I know VK5DK and VK5BC made it to ZL on 2m. Could the VK6's have done it? We'll never know. As someone said - too busy playing with themselves (I think he meant among but it works better the other way :wink:). It really is worth keeping an eye on THIS logger.

Chas
VK3PY
ZL3MH
Frequent Poster

ZL3 to VK6's ?? heard only

Post by ZL3MH »

Text of David's - VK6AOM - message to John - VK2FG
Monday January 19, 1987

Dear John,
Please let me apologise for the delay in returning a card for that terrific QSO we had in December. I can tell you, John, I couldn't believe my ears when I heard your callsign at 5 x 9 and it may have been apparent in my cautious approach to you when I called you back! Never again will I be so backward in coming forward !!!!! If I said that it was a pleasure in working you, it would be a masterpiece of understatement. It has been the highlight of this DX season. Incidentally, I heard (only) ZL3TIB on two metres on Xmas day. His signal came up out of the noise for about 45 seconds and I immediately fired up my big linear but before it came out of the pre-heat stage, the signal was gone. If I left out all of the swear words I didn't say a thing. He was working VK7's and I worked him on 6 next day and was able to identify the stations he was calling and part of his QSO… which he confirmed. So that's one way. Next time……John, I look forward to the opportunity of working you again. Should I be spared till next year, you'll be the first station I'll call !!!!!

Best 73, John
(Signed)
David Lloyd - VK6AOM
VK5ACY

Post by VK5ACY »

Leigh may have made a bad choice of words in his post but I can assure you that he is not deliberately trying to upset anyone.

Eager, keen, excited, enthusiastic, ardent, fervent, avid about Amateur Radio - and especially VHF/UHF propagation - Leigh
may be, but never rude, crude or deliberately offensive.

...my two cents - applied gently. :)

Bill VK5ACY
BOWHILL S.A.
PF95sb