SK: Gwen Tilson VK3DYL

A place to remember those who have become a Silent Key (SK)
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

SK: Gwen Tilson VK3DYL

Post by VK3QI »

Sadly I must inform you that our long time friend and Life Member of the Eastern and Mountain District Radio Club in Melbourne (EMDRC) Gwen Tilson VK3DYL passed away this morning in the Ballarat Hospital.

As many will know, Gwen was an avid DXer and her callsign appeared near the top of the DXCC Honour Roll.

Over the years she also achieved many meritorious Awards which for a long time were displayed on the walls and in the stairwell leading to her downstairs shack.

For many years Gwen was the QSL distribution officer for EMDRC and my earliest recollections of her are with the large box of QSL cards she regularly brought to club meetings.

Many will also recall the nights spent around their table tennis table folding, stapling and labelling monthly issues of The Bulletin.
Gwen was also responsible for researching and collating the club history, an abridged version of which you will now find on the club website.
As an active member of ALARA she personally sponsored many overseas YLs and regularly attended the international gatherings. As a consequence she was very widely travelled and was well known to amateurs around the world.

On behalf of the Club I have extended our condolences to David VK3UR and his family.

Funeral arrangements have not yet been determined and I will advise you further in that regard in due course.

May Gwen rest in peace.

Regards,
Max VK3WT

AS an addendum for those who might be new to the Amateur Fraternity and have not heard of Gwen in recent years, Gwen was one of very few Australian Amateur operators who had actually spoken with King Hussein of Jordan JY1 on the radio and in fact, had a personally signed photograph of him which adorned her shack wall.

Gwen travelled quite widely and an insight into her amateur radio travels can be found at the following website: http://www.qsl.net/vk3dyl/

Peter VK3QI
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Re: Gwen Tilson VK3DYL SK

Post by VK3QI »

Hi,

Funeral arrangements for the late Gwen Tilson VK3DYL are as follows:

Friday 31st May @ 10.45 a.m. The Blair Chapel, Springvale Botanical Cemetery

Peter VK3QI