Looking for a FT-100D or IC-706MK2G

Cheers

Mike ZL3MF :mrgreen:
ZL3RC
Frequent Poster

Re: Wanted FT-100D or IC-706MK2G

Post by ZL3RC »

Hi Mike
From what Ive read I would stick with a IC-706MKIIg sounds like the 100D may be a bit hard to service if the need arose.
Have a read of the eHam reviews and while you have to use some judgment on half the comments, well all the comments, there aren't many good ones for the 100D :o

Roger
Roger
ZL3RC aka ZL3THQ RE66FL
http://www.qrz.com/db/ZL3THQ.
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

ZL3MF wrote:Looking for a FT-100D or IC-706MK2G

Cheers

Trust when I say you should stick with the 706 , the 100d an be a great radio but then you get a bad one or hold your mouth the wrong way and it's done
Barry
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

VK4TI wrote:
ZL3MF wrote:Looking for a FT-100D or IC-706MK2G

Cheers

Trust when I say you should stick with the 706 , the 100d an be a great radio but then you get a bad one or hold your mouth the wrong way and it's done
Barry
Thanks guys for the advice I was swaying more towards the 706 anyway, like the feature that it has full coverage RX including FM broadcast band......so everyone forget the 100D after a IC-706MK2G :D
VK2BLS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2BLS »

Mike,

Not sure if the above comments are from previous FT100D owners?

Pick any rig and look at the reviews on EHAM, always get negative, regardless of brand or price range.

Yes, there are 'lemons' with any brand.

I have had FT100D for several years now and used it on all bands, all modes, plenty use.

I do lots of Digi modes & wspr etc.

The 100D has a tcxo and is very stable, along with larger speaker than 100.

The interfaces for signalinks, HRD etc are easy to get going.

ICOM CIV interfaces can sometimes be a prob.

The menus & buttons arrangement quickly becomes very user friendly.

Parameters are easy to change.

Lots of documentation and FAQ's help on net.

It has one of the best noise blankers of any rig I have had.

It has a huge display for a compact rig (unlike the frustratingly small 897 display) and loaded with info & functions.

The IC-706MK2G is a good rig and I know several ops who swear by them.

It's a bit like Holden & Ford.

But, ask any FT100D owner and they will not want to part with theirs.

The 706 is a good rig, but don't dismiss the 100D too quickly.

Cheers, Darrell vk2bls
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Mike,

Likewise, don't write off the FT100 or FT100D too quickly.

I own an FT100 (upgraded to FT100D) that has been in my car continuously since 1999 and used on all bands between 160mx and 70cms.

I have an FT100D as well that has done over 20,000 qsos on 4 IOTA operations, without fail.

I also have an IC706MKIIG which works extremely well also and is used in various Field Day operations at our club VK3ER/p station.

Both brands of rigs have had their issues during the lifetime of the models - mostly related to operators who have exposed them to abnormal climatic conditions and problems that have therefore arisen.

From an operators point of view the FT100(D) has some superior features such a TCXO, ultra fine tuning steps, an excellent adjustable NB and DSP unit, and easy menu operations. Both brands suffer from big finger errors!

My biggest criticism of the FT100(D) is the use of non-standard stereo 3.5 mm sockets for some of their rear connections - recessed into the diecast chassis, they don't take conventional moulded 3.5mm plugs - especially the speaker/earphone socket which also includes a switch, which can go intermittent.

The one thing that the FT100(D) does have, is the ability to receive from 100KHz to 970MHz - it makes an excellent alternative to a spectrum analyser for checking things around the shack like UHF and microwave frequency sources. It also receives the FM broadcast band in an excellent WBFM mode - usually with much more sensitivity than the usual car radio.

Reading Eham reviews is a bit like some of the whistle stop surveys that night time TV shows at 6.30 are in the habit of doing. You only get comments from (1) those who have an axe to grind or (2) those who are overly enthusiastic - clearly unrepresentative.

Very few FT100(D) units turn up on Ebay for sale - that probably says something about their longevity in the shack.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

Thanks everyone for your valued input. basically I am looking for a good mobile radio that has full coverage RX including the FM broadcast band, 100w HF/6M and 2/70cm coverage. It doesn’t necessary have to be the FT-100 or IC-706. I did have a chance to use a 706 at the last Scout Jamboree at Hamilton 3 years ago and was nothing but impressed with it.

Cheers everyone

Mike

ZL3MF
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

ZL3MF wrote:Thanks everyone for your valued input. basically I am looking for a good mobile radio that has full coverage RX including the FM broadcast band, 100w HF/6M and 2/70cm coverage. It doesn’t necessary have to be the FT-100 or IC-706. I did have a chance to use a 706 at the last Scout Jamboree at Hamilton 3 years ago and was nothing but impressed with it.

Cheers everyone

Mike

ZL3MF
DOn't get me wrong about the 100D as a good one is just that , but if it's a difficult radio ( often why it's being sold) without the required modificatons you can have your hands full , maybe a used FT857 or a little icom might be in order as used example appear well maintained occasionally
ZL3JT

Post by ZL3JT »

Hello Mike,

I had a FT100 for a number of years and I was 'pressured' only recently to sell it. It's greatest advantage was a very good noise blanker, completely adjustable, and the digital readout is huge. This was great in the car because one could see at a glance what frequency was displayed. Heaven only knows why Yaesu Vortex "superseded it" the FT897 with it's pathetic microscopic display?

Another thing, are you happy with the performance of your FT847? Then you'll be happy with an FT100D, it's very similar in the circuitry and uses the same technology. The only drawback I found was the poor audio from the standard microphone on my FT100D.

i don't have any experience with the little Icom 706, but those who have them seem to be happy with the later models.

73 Duncan
ZL3MF
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL3MF »

ZL3JT wrote:Hello Mike,

I had a FT100 for a number of years and I was 'pressured' only recently to sell it. It's greatest advantage was a very good noise blanker, completely adjustable, and the digital readout is huge. This was great in the car because one could see at a glance what frequency was displayed. Heaven only knows why Yaesu Vortex "superseded it" the FT897 with it's pathetic microscopic display?

Another thing, are you happy with the performance of your FT847? Then you'll be happy with an FT100D, it's very similar in the circuitry and uses the same technology. The only drawback I found was the poor audio from the standard microphone on my FT100D.

i don't have any experience with the little Icom 706, but those who have them seem to be happy with the later models.

73 Duncan
Cheers Duncan, great advice agree about the 897. Just one question is it correct the 100D has full RX coverage (no gaps) including FM broadcast band? The user guide/spec's say nothing about WBFM etc. Also how much did you sell yours for (just an indicator how much $$$ I need to spend :roll: )
VK2KPK

Post by VK2KPK »

ZL3MF wrote:DOn't get me wrong about the 100D as a good one is just that , but if it's a difficult radio ( often why it's being sold) without the required modificatons you can have your hands full , maybe a used FT857 or a little icom might be in order as used example appear well maintained occasionally
What exactly are these modifications please?

73, Geoff
VK4TI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TI »

VK2KPK wrote:
ZL3MF wrote:DOn't get me wrong about the 100D as a good one is just that , but if it's a difficult radio ( often why it's being sold) without the required modificatons you can have your hands full , maybe a used FT857 or a little icom might be in order as used example appear well maintained occasionally
What exactly are these modifications please?

73, Geoff
google it or take a look in the news group . depending on when built vhf take off grounding issues heat and other stuff just like the 100
VK2KPK

Post by VK2KPK »

Tks.

73, Geoff