WSJT9 experimental MS mode... JTMS on 144MHz

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK2XN
Forum Novice

WSJT9 experimental MS mode... JTMS on 144MHz

Post by VK2XN »

Has there been any experimenting with this MS mode in VK?

If so please comment here.

http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

It appears that early tests have been favourable with 144MHz meteor scatter, JTMS having a slight edge over FSK441.

Could it also have an edge on 432MHz?

I have activated the hidden modes in WSJT9 after some tinkering with the "experimental file" minus the .txt extension.

Cheers
Wayne....VK2XN
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Re: WSJT9 experimental MS mode... JTMS on 144MHz

Post by VK4UH »

I see there hasn't been a posting on this topic for a while

Spurred on by the encouragement of Arie VK3AMZ a number of stations tried an activity session on 2m MS this morning using the alternative "JTMS" mode in WSJT (on 144.330 MHz)

There is information on the web and in the WSJT 9.3 supplement about activating the two hidden modes DIANA and JTMS. This involves the creation of an empty file called "experimental" in the main program folder. Although not difficult for the computer literate ones amongst us, like other mere mortals I had some difficulty as the "experimental" file has to be created without a .txt extension. With help I copied and then renamed another empty file without a .txt extension to achieve this.

The two new modes then appear in the pull-down options in the MODE box. Operation of the JTMS mode appears almost identical to FSK441 although the Tx signal "sounds" different.

It is suggested that JTMS is better than FSK441 in decoding meteor pings that are very short ie less than 150ms which is a hard target for FSK441. First impression today confirms this. Conditions this morning were good with many weak pings around dawn but the majority were very brief (<100ms). Usable decodes were seen in JTMS and 2way completion was achieved between myself and VK3AMZ very rapidly. I believe Arie made other contacts with other stations in VK4 and VK2

Its early days but 1st impressions suggest that this mode may have a place.

Watch the logger for further activity tests.

Please take note however of the plea from Joe Taylor K1JT himself and not try this new mode on the same frequency as FSK441 activity. The modes are not compatible

Kevin VK4UH
Samford/Brisbane
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK2XN
Forum Novice

Post by VK2XN »

Thanks for the post Kevin, the wheels of progress turn slowly at times.

I'm still wondering if this mode would perform as well if not better than FSK441 on 432MHz.
Maybe the next Major Shower will answer my question.

Cheers

Wayne.... VK2XN
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Who would be interested in another JTMS test session next weekend?
I suggest Sunday (18th) on 144.330 from 20:00 UTC coordinating via I-chat on the logger
This should not disrupt any normal VK-VK or VK-ZL MS activity

Kevin VK4UH
Brisbane
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

hi Kevin is there a step by step instruction anywhere on how to access the JTMS mode fro the computer illiterates like me
regards Wayne
VK4FIL

Post by VK4FIL »

Reply for VK4WTN

Hi Wayne you can find the JT6M software in WSJT7 in the modes section.

It runs exactly the same as FSK except as Kevin (vk4uh) says sounds quite different in the tones generated. As you know Darrell (vk2bls) and myself have been running this mode for a few years now and often give it a go after an FSK441 contact is made on the 6 meter band 50.230 mostly.

We have found that this software doesnt respond to very quick MS pings as FSK441 but slighlty longer pings of 300ms and more it decodes very well.

Anyway find the archive for WSJT7 on webpage http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html download WSJT7 .When installed go to Modes and click JTMS
and away you go just the same as fsk.

Hope this helps and look forward to some contacts with you.

Phil VK5RM
VK5RM
Forum Novice

Post by VK5RM »

I have just realized the above post came up as from VK4FIL looked like I had signed in to the forum under my old callsign.

Apoligies

Phil VK5RM
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

hi Phil, I have WJST9 and had to go into the application and copy a folder called devnull and remame it experimental to enable JTMS and Diana into the modes. Hopefully will work ok
regards Wayne VK4WTN
VK5RM
Forum Novice

Post by VK5RM »

Hi Again Wayne,

Tks for the phone call was getting confused with JT6M before.
Am now setup for JTMS and Diana so look forward to some contacts soon.

Phil vk5rm
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Thanks Phil

Just to confirm above string relates to JTMS mode as distinct from JT6M

See you all on air next Sunday with any luck 20:00 UTC 144.330 JTMS Test

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4UH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4UH »

Regarding ordinary mortals trying to get JTMS working in WSJT 9.3

I posted earlier about creating the required "experimental" file in the WSJT 9 program directory to allow access to the new modes JTMS and DIANA

On my laptop, with a lot of assistance, I managed this by copying and then renaming the debug file to experimental.
(The file must not have a .txt extension to work)

I tried the same manoeuvre on my desktop to find that I have to have "permission" to write any files to the WSJT directory - apparently.

All advice from the 'puter gurus gratefully accepted.

Kevin VK4UH
Kevin (KJ) VK4UH
Brisbane
VK4WTN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4WTN »

hi Kevin, after looking on the internet how to activate JTMS and Diana I found this web page that gives a good explaination of how to do it http://radioshack.co.za/smf/index.php?topic=698.0 I followed the instructions which were fairly simple and it seems to work ok. I am hopeless with computers so it was pretty foolproof.The thing that I and also Phil VK5RM have found with JTMS is that you seem to get a lot of rubbish decodes. Hope the above link helps
regards Wayne VK4WTN
VK4MIL
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4MIL »

VK4UH wrote:Regarding ordinary mortals trying to get JTMS working in WSJT 9.3

I posted earlier about creating the required "experimental" file in the WSJT 9 program directory to allow access to the new modes JTMS and DIANA

On my laptop, with a lot of assistance, I managed this by copying and then renaming the debug file to experimental.
(The file must not have a .txt extension to work)

I tried the same manoeuvre on my desktop to find that I have to have "permission" to write any files to the WSJT directory - apparently.

All advice from the 'puter gurus gratefully accepted.

Kevin VK4UH
Try this KJ http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... -in-vista/ I just tried it on my computa at work and it didn't kill it yet :roll: