For sale...New GI-46B 6 meter amplifier..

VK3ZL Amplifiers
VK3ZL

For sale...New GI-46B 6 meter amplifier..

Post by VK3ZL »

I have just completed a new GI-46B 6 meter amplifier..I have been interested in trying out a single GI-46B tube amplifier for some time and built this as a prototype..The finished result is a legal limit amplifier with some comfortable overhead..This would suit anyone who wants an amplifier that will run the VK legal power limit, easy to operate and reliable, definitely not a flogger ..

The amplifier has easy access to all circuits, with a fold down front panel...I have used the reliable W4ZT bias board and Plate idle current is adjustable from the front panel..

The amplifier tunes and loads smoothly..I use a Pi-L tank on the output side....The drive input is through a tunable T network which gives a flat 1-1 vswr..Plate and grid current are metered...The amplifier can be remote switched from an exciter as long as a sequencer is used...Hot switching an amplifier soon erodes relay contacts.. Amplifier cooling uses a 240 volt fan providing air into the sealed top RF deck, air exiting through the tube cooler and a Teflon chimney on the top cover..The cathode compartment is sealed with a 240 volt fan blowing air directly on the tube filament and cathode air exiting through vents on the bottom side of the amplifier....Using my infra red thermometer focused on the tube anode cooler when running long carriers the core heats up to around 85C..Air flow is sufficient to keep the tube well within a safe operating margin...Fan noise is quite low as the fan is buried in the HT supply compartment..

I have used an 850va Toroidal transformer into a voltage doubler rectifier stack and an HT step start relay/resistor circuit...The relays and bias cutoff switching operate from a simple 24 volt power supply..Amplifier function details are clearly lettered on the front panel..Amplifier dimensions are 18x17.5x 8 inches high with turned aluminum legs 2 inches..

I have run the amplifier in a long testing session into a Bird 500 watt dummy load and everything operates smoothly..I still have it set up on the test bench and regularly run it for 10 minutes or so from cold to make sure it is reliable...I will provide circuits and operating instructions for the amplifier....New tubes are readily available from RadioKomponent in Ukraine at reasonable cost as well as various other sources ..

As written above this amplifier is for those who want a reliable 6 meter amplifier that coasts at out legal limit..Anyone interested can phone me or email for full details..We can discuss price and shipping, this amplifier is under $1k and negotiable....73..Bob..VK3ZL..
Attachments
HPIM5599.JPG
HPIM5644.JPG
HPIM5563.JPG
YU7EF
Forum Novice

Re: For sale...New GI-46B 6 meter amplifier..

Post by YU7EF »

Very neat and almost professional looking, good job Bob .... 8)

Pop, YU7EF
VK3ZL

Post by VK3ZL »

Thanks for the enquiries...Price is $780 plus shipping...A bargain..

Bob..VK3ZL..
VK3ZL

Post by VK3ZL »

Now listed on ebay item number 161020428417..Thanks for emails and queries...

73..Bob..VK3ZL..
VK4GHZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4GHZ »

I had the opportunity to see one of Bob's amplifiers, when it was in Brisbane recently.

Tell me tell you this - the photos do not do them justice.
(Being a professional photographer, I regret not having my kit with me at the time, to take some pictures.)

The workmanship is excellent.
Adam, Brisbane
vk4ghz.com
VK4GHZ on Youtube
VK4GHZ on Odysee

10 things that happen when you stop checking Facebook constantly: http://tiny.cc/t5h7cz

How to quit Facebook: https://www.consumerreports.org/social- ... -facebook/
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

I can also vouch for Bob's workmanship! I have one of his 6m amps! :D
Not only do they look good...they work even better! 8)
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK3WE
Forum Novice

Post by VK3WE »

Thumbs up here too!

I have two of em, all good :D :D
VK3ZL

Post by VK3ZL »

Thanks all inquiries...This amplifier is sold..

73..Bob..VK3ZL..
VK3ZL

Post by VK3ZL »

Hi all, I am now building another 2 meter amplifier, probably using a 35B...If anybody is interested let me know...

Bob..VK3ZL..