Andrew Davis VK1DA Canberra, VK2UH Yass
http://vkfaq.ampr.org
http://vk1da.net
http://vk9na.com
VK4BLP

Re: Complete the sentence

Post by VK4BLP »

VK3HJ wrote:
VK3ALB wrote:If nobody used repeaters . . . . . . . .
There would be no "Repeater Wallys".

One thing that has driven people away from utilising the great resource of repeater systems, is the existence of the bloody wallys who think they "own" the repeater and cause disruption when someone uses "their" repeater.

I use HF much more, and if there were no repeaters I'd probably not miss them. But there are also plenty of wallys on HF. You'd be amazed how many frequencies are "owned" by this net or that, or some yanks who use such and such a frequency for their morning chat despite the frequency being in use.

... or the couple of VK4's that think it is their god given right to jump from repeater to repeater without checking for current usage and 'rag-chew' in their own native tongue, i.e. non-English.
VK7DR

Post by VK7DR »

VK3ALB wrote:If nobody used repeaters . . . . . . . .
Radio clubs would have to find some other justification for their existence....
VK/9V1CJ

Post by VK/9V1CJ »

I hope I am not flogging a dead horse - but has there been any change in 70cm activity in VK4 land? I've been listening for 2.5 weeks and have only heard one conversation. One.. and it's not about repeater coverage. I've carried a portable around almost every alternate day out of curiosity, changed antennas for the "base" and short of swopping to a yagi I really don't think it's RX problem on my side.

Seems deader than a dodo out here, almost as bad as my own country. I've heard 2 chats in 2 years back home. It's a pity my interest lies on the 70cm band.
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK4FJAJ wrote:I hope I am not flogging a dead horse - but has there been any change in 70cm activity in VK4 land? I've been listening for 2.5 weeks and have only heard one conversation. One.. and it's not about repeater coverage. I've carried a portable around almost every alternate day out of curiosity, changed antennas for the "base" and short of swopping to a yagi I really don't think it's RX problem on my side.

Seems deader than a dodo out here, almost as bad as my own country. I've heard 2 chats in 2 years back home. It's a pity my interest lies on the 70cm band.
Everyone listens, less talk, even less call. The trick is to convince people to answer your calls. Don't give up, they're out there.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3VKT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3VKT »

VK3RBW is the go

always someone listening there

:D

Andy
Andy Kay VK3VKT can be found lurking on VK3RBW 438.450 91.5 tone
Club net 8pm Wednesday nights on the above repeater open to all
MERC Webpage | MERC Facebook Group | My QSL Card site
VK4TS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4TS »

Apparently heard on 20M :D

"Yesterday, my XYL said she'd leave me if I didn't give up ham radio. Over." :lol:
Trent VK4TS
PO Box 275 Mooloolaba 4557
Mobile 0408 497 550 vk4ts@wia.org.au
VK/9V1CJ

Post by VK/9V1CJ »

Need some help here. From emission designator 16K0F3E channel spacing should be set to 25KHz am I correct? Finally managed to reach repeaters (VK4RBR/VK4RZB) with my portable but my voice sounds weird (muffled?), to say the least.

Strange thing was at 0130H today I couldn't reach them - and at 1551H suddenly it seemed ok. Odd, considering I changed nothing!
VK2DDS

Post by VK2DDS »

VK4FJAJ wrote:Finally managed to reach repeaters (VK4RBR/VK4RZB) with my portable but my voice sounds weird (muffled?), to say the least. Strange thing was at 0130H today I couldn't reach them - and at 1551H suddenly it seemed ok. Odd, considering I changed nothing!
Without knowing where you are relative to those repeaters it's hard to say exactly why they come and go, but tropospheric ducting can cause UHF/VHF to go much further than normal. Two days ago I was getting a repeater ~200km away, and later than day had a 2m simplex contact 250km away with strong (S9+) signals both ways. Normally though those contacts aren't possible (thankfully, as said repeater is on the same frequency as the local one).

If said repeaters are close to where you are then it won't be ducting, if you're on a handheld (is that what you mean by portable?) I'd call it luck.
VK/9V1CJ

Post by VK/9V1CJ »

VK2MEV wrote:
VK4FJAJ wrote:Finally managed to reach repeaters (VK4RBR/VK4RZB) with my portable but my voice sounds weird (muffled?), to say the least. Strange thing was at 0130H today I couldn't reach them - and at 1551H suddenly it seemed ok. Odd, considering I changed nothing!
Without knowing where you are relative to those repeaters it's hard to say exactly why they come and go, but tropospheric ducting can cause UHF/VHF to go much further than normal. Two days ago I was getting a repeater ~200km away, and later than day had a 2m simplex contact 250km away with strong (S9+) signals both ways. Normally though those contacts aren't possible (thankfully, as said repeater is on the same frequency as the local one).

If said repeaters are close to where you are then it won't be ducting, if you're on a handheld (is that what you mean by portable?) I'd call it luck.
I am on a handheld aka portable. I only flew over to Brisbane with portables.

You might certainly be right, as I noticed the same phenomenon again today. 0130H very weak (~-105dBm on RX handheld), 0230H zilch signal, 0700H back to same ~-107dBm, it seems to be almost coinciding with sunrise periods. There is one big however - this only affects 1 repeater, VK4RBR (south of my location, have 1 more to the north and 1 to the west, all within 15km radius, my estimate).

In addition, I live smack in the city, and with high-rise buildings all around, I have my questions on how tropo-duct will work with reflected signals particularly this is the 70cm band I'm operating in. Furthermore being the CBD, the rate of ground heating should differ quite differently from other locations, and when you throw in the river about 500m away, it only gets more complex.

Short of keeping 24 hour days and transmitting every 30min I'm not sure how I'm going to determine this or measure. It is certainly a challenging question, but I'm glad that I have something to chew on.
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Joel

Make the most of that new callsign on the 2M repeaters as well. Try VK4RBN on 147.000, Bayside 146.875 and Ipswich on 146.900. I hear a reasonable amount of activity on that band as I drive around but I don't have 70cm in the car so can't compare.

The answer to the "sentence" for you is persistence.
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK/9V1CJ

Post by VK/9V1CJ »

Thank you for the advice Doug, certainly I should be making an effort to step out of the 70cm comfort zone :D
VK4BLP

Post by VK4BLP »

VK4ADC wrote:Joel

Make the most of that new callsign on the 2M repeaters as well. Try VK4RBN on 147.000, Bayside 146.875 and Ipswich on 146.900. I hear a reasonable amount of activity on that band as I drive around but I don't have 70cm in the car so can't compare.
And don't forget the Southside ARS repeater at Mt Cotton on 147.075 (+600 and no tones).

:)
VK3MIX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3MIX »

VK3HJ wrote:
One thing that has driven people away from utilising the great resource of repeater systems, is the existence of the bloody wallys who think they "own" the repeater and cause disruption when someone uses "their" repeater.

Luke VK3HJ
When I first got into amateur radio I was on the Gold Coast on holidays, gave a call out on the only repeater in range of my portable held hand. No answer, I decided to give echolink a go on the same repeater to my hometown repeater. After sometime of talking back home some nut decide to disconnect echolink via DTMF tones with no call sign what so ever. I dialled back home to have the same thing happen. After all this two operators decided to have their local chew without even acknowledging that I was there.
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK3FAPJ wrote:
VK3HJ wrote:

Luke VK3HJ
When I first got into amateur radio I was on the Gold Coast on holidays, gave a call out on the only repeater in range of my portable held hand. No answer, I decided to give echolink a go on the same repeater to my hometown repeater. After sometime of talking back home some nut decide to disconnect echolink via DTMF tones with no call sign what so ever. I dialled back home to have the same thing happen. After all this two operators decided to have their local chew without even acknowledging that I was there.
I'm of the inclination to name and shame such w@nkers.

Whatever happened to (if you really NEED to use the device) asking if you can butt in and make contact with your mate and then moving to another frequency? It's easy enough to move to another device around town to have your local chat while a visitor uses "your" repeater.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv