Antenna rotators control

YO3DMU

Antenna rotators control

Post by YO3DMU »

http://www.qsl.net/yo3dmu/index_Page346.htm
The PstRotator program works with a wide variety of rotators, tracks the Moon, and supports multi-user remote operation over the Internet.
It also integrates with most logging software, DXCluster clients, and satellites trackers.The user interface offers quite a selection of methods for pointing and display, as well.
The PstRotatorAz program provides also support for the SteppIR antennas, inclusive remote control over Internet.
The program is not longer free and must be registered. The registration information can be used for both PstRotator and PstRotatorAz programs.
73, Codrut - YO3DMU
Last edited by YO3DMU on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
YO3DMU

Re: Antenna rotators control

Post by YO3DMU »

- PstRotator works now with the VK5DJ interface -
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

I saw this software mentioned in other places and it was quoted as being "free"... Yet, when I downloaded and install it, I am shown a registration window. I revisited the site (that'll teach me to look more closely) and see that it is actually a commercial programme which costs 15 euros to register.
VK2ZIW
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2ZIW »

Brainstorm
========
Stepper motors are the go....
All the computer has to do is move the required number of steps, once calibration is done.
So, the computer needs no feedback on position. Calibrate by pointing to the moon or sun
or a known bearing, via compass and inclinometer.
The computer only needs outputs, step and direction for both azimuth and elevation.
Four outputs and that's IT. A parallel port, eight bits is plenty. USB to parallel printer adapters
may still be available, I have one.
Position accuracy
=============
With a 200 step stepper and 15:1 first gearbox, then 40:1 worm final drive:
200 x 15 x 40 = 120,000 steps per rev. That's 333 steps per degree.

The computer only needs, your gearbox ratios, steps per turn of your stepper motor.
Max stepper speed, a few smarts such as slow down when getting close.

Should be a very straight forward programming exercize.

6146s - Alan VK2ZIW