JT9 - WSJT-X

WSJT 65 (and variants) Discussion
VK2FAK

JT9 - WSJT-X

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi All..

Thought I would have a look at the mode tonight , and having all sorts of problems..

On my little laptop I use for digital it seems to be using the CPU hard in comparison to the standard WSPR which I have no problems with...I have the decode set to quick...and no difference..

With the software stopping all the time it would sure mess up the timing...

Anyone eles have issues with this mode..

John
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Re: JT9 - WSJT-X

Post by ZL1RS »

Not sure about JT9 or WSJT-X, but sluggish operation on my 10 year old laptop was "fixed" by a HDD format and a fresh install of the OS. All updates off, no anti-virus or other utilities ... WSJT and SkyMoon are the only user applications installed. Huge difference ...

That laptop is used as a "Radio Laptop" only, essentially just a "JT65 terminal" ... never on the Internet so no threat of virus, etc. Hasn't missed a beat in 4 years including six VHF dxpeditions and decodes JT65 very quickly. Time "sync" is manually by comparison with the other "Internet Laptop" or read off a GPS when in the field. Paper log book. Low cost, low tech (and I was an IT Engineer in a previous life :roll: ), but good performance.

Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK2FAK wrote:Hi All..

Thought I would have a look at the mode tonight , and having all sorts of problems..

On my little laptop I use for digital it seems to be using the CPU hard in comparison to the standard WSPR which I have no problems with...I have the decode set to quick...and no difference..

With the software stopping all the time it would sure mess up the timing...

Anyone eles have issues with this mode..

John
if the laptop is not new and has been used for general windows use then check what else is running - over time they tend to get full of 'crapware' that startup with windows - visit http://www.blackviper.com/ and download the reg file for your OS and run it - that will close down any unneeded services etc - turn off any auto defrag, turn off automatic scans from the anti virus program turn off auto windows update - better still if possible reinstall windows over time windows tend to 'leak' and a reinstall should be done on a regular basis

check the usb/serial converter used some have problems keeping upto date with the polling required by these digital and rig control programs. If you are thinking of getting seriously into digital then the best idea is to get a mini desktop box and dedicate that totally to the radio.

I use the laptop for echolink and cq100 and the mini desktop box for rig control and digital. I have been playing around with programming ( I am a system programmer by occupation) some of the digital modes so I connect the two computers together for testing (send on one recieve on the other)

Thye main problem with these modes is the timing - the computer clock is really not good enought and if you use a seperate clock application then you have to bypass the windows clock.

john
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all

I like the latest version on WSJT-X.....it looks more like separate mode now than before and has a nice layout...

one question though, what is.....V V V ?.. "0837 -7 -0.8 1333 V V V JA1PIB"

John
VK2BLS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2BLS »

Hi John,

Possibly like sending a series of Vee's' ie. test letters as used in CW ?

73 Darrell vk2bls
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

John

Hello John, I hope you sort out the problem. It's a great mode and becoming more popular every day. I have been using JT9-1 for just on 8 weeks and see more users every day. I have managed to squeeze out 81 contacts over all HF bands so far and am looking forward to trying it out with someone on 6m and vhf/uhf too.

John
VK7XX
VK4RF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4RF »

VK7XX wrote:
John

Hello John, I hope you sort out the problem. It's a great mode and becoming more popular every day. I have been using JT9-1 for just on 8 weeks and see more users every day. I have managed to squeeze out 81 contacts over all HF bands so far and am looking forward to trying it out with someone on 6m and vhf/uhf too.

John
VK7XX
Hi John,
What frequencies are you using? The same for JT65HF??
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

VK4RF wrote: Hi John,
What frequencies are you using? The same for JT65HF??
Hello Rick. No mate. I have found that most stations are using 2 KHz above the normal JT65 ones.. eg, 14.078 21.078 28.078 etc etc.
Most versions of the software have a box that displays the suggested frequency.. on the latest version (3151) there is a drop down box just below the 'Log QSO' button. Choose a band and it will display the suggested frequency.

see you there

John
VK4RF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4RF »

Thank you John.
I will give it a run this afternoon on 20mtrs. See you there somewhere for sure.

My very first contact using this mode..

0101 -2 0.8 1382 CQ ZL3KQ RE66

0103 9 0.8 1382 VK4RF ZL3KQ -08

0105 7 0.6 1382 VK4RF ZL3KQ RRR

0107 -3 0.6 1382 VK4RF ZL3KQ 73
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi all.....

Is there a trick to getting the PSK reporter workng on JT9....after enabling it..

I was out for some exercise this afternoon and Spotted John....VK7XX....and No I did not quite walk that far...hihi....John was on 17m....

I later checked to see if it was recorded somewhere, but no...not on HamSpots anyway....which I think takes a feed from PSK reporter....

Ideas ?

John....
VK7XX
Frequent Poster

Post by VK7XX »

VK2FAK wrote:Hi all.....

Is there a trick to getting the PSK reporter workng on JT9....after enabling it..

I was out for some exercise this afternoon and Spotted John....VK7XX....and No I did not quite walk that far...hihi....John was on 17m....

I later checked to see if it was recorded somewhere, but no...not on HamSpots anyway....which I think takes a feed from PSK reporter....

Ideas ?

John....
not sure about PSK reporter John, (I actually do not enable it in JT65-HF) but, this may be helpful to see some of those on JT9 ---> http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.ph ... gitalradio

John (the other one)
VK5STU

Post by VK5STU »

VK2FAK wrote:Hi all.....
I don't think so. I have just installed WSJT-X v0.9, r3143 and just ticked the box in the setup section and it has spotted both the stations I have decoded so far tonight on 20m. Perhaps a bug in an older version?
VK2FAK

Post by VK2FAK »

Hi All.....

Nope that wont be it.....I had already downloaded the newer version of WSJT-X...

I will keep checking though....its not a big deal but nice to have working...

John