Is EME worth a go?

Magic band discussion - antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK4WDM

Is EME worth a go?

Post by VK4WDM »

I have a clear shot at the rising moon. My IC-756 PRO111 and my FT-847 are proven weak-signal 6m receivers using their built-in pre-amps, and I could install a mast-head pre-amp if required. My antenna is a 7 ele yagi at 9m fed with heliax. Would attempting EME with JT65 and about 90w of power be a waste of time or not? If 90W of power is a waste of time, what would be the minimum power required?

I have a limited budget and not trying to set records, just have some fun. :D

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3AXH
Forum Novice

Re: Is EME worth a go?

Post by VK3AXH »

Hi Wayne,

You may see some of the really big guns ie with large 32 and 64 yagi arrays but given the size of your antenna it would be difficult. My advice would be to build say a couple of 10 el yagi's
as a minimum or one big single yagi say on a 5 wavelength boom and see what you can pick up. There have been a few stations running 200 watts that I've been able to see with my 4x5wl
yagi's but it's difficult.

Don't be discouraged as I'm sure once you have received a signal it will whet your appetite to go onto bigger things. Initially the more metal you can get in the air the better. I see Kevin
VK4UH has recently had success using a single yagi with around 400 watts (I think) so it maybe worth having a chat to him.

Have a look on the internet at the installations of RN6BN and W5UN. My 1st EME qso was with W5UN when I was using a single 13el yagi with no elevation and 400 watts. Yes you do need a
preamp preferably mast head mounted.

Good Luck, Ian - VK3AXH
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

I think Wayne is talking about EME on the 6m band ? Ian appears to be referring to 2m?

Wayne, if all you have to do is point at the rising moon and listen using JT65, then you may as well give it a go.
VK5PO

Post by VK5PO »

Hi Wayne,

Running 400w into a 7 el YU7EF yagi proved to be a bit iffy... Now that I can run a LEGAL Kw, it is not too bad.

When I put my 2 X 7el LFAs up, with elevation, I will be home and hosed!.
add to that an elevation rotator, 18db LNA and LDF4-50 feedline, and an otherwise seldom used array has a purpose anytime the moon is visible.

It is fair to say that running 100w will not be very effective... Although some people like us to believe they can do
it with just 100w on 6 metres. 400w with a pair of 6 or more element array will work ok working quite a few of the "big" stations.

Cheers.
John
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Iain and Leigh

Yes, the 6m band. I have many weak-signal, long-haul terrestrial contacts, including LP Sth America, with my present 6m station using 100W of CW and SSB, and my HF JT65 setup is working well.

I guess the first thing is to see if I can hear anything off the moon. What frequency is used for JT65 on 6m and where can I find info on the best time to listen?

I don't have a elevation rotator so I guess that the "window" will be quite short before the moon moves away from my antenna position?

Once I can hear sigs I can can see what can be done on the transmitting side.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK6OX »

Hi Wayne,

read this.

It will give you some good background on what you can achieve on 6m EME.
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK3KH
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3KH »

Wayne,
If you are serious about operating 6 metre EME, then you should email Lance Collister W7GJ. He is by far the most ardent advocate for it....IN THE WORLD. He has lots of articles on line, so try:

http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/DXPEDITIONS.htm

This article has a number of stations with 7 element yagis, and he even discusses PA's.
Be aware, however, Lance is extremely passionate, and once you decided to give it a go, he will encourage you. When we were planning the last VK9NA expedition and announced we would be undertaking 2 m EME, Lance must have sent me half a dozen emails trying to encourage us to equip for 6m EME.

It would be a real challenge, but well worth a go, and I think it would be achievable with your 7 element Yagi.

Please keep us informed through this medium of what you decide.

Michael VK3KH
VK2FLR

Post by VK2FLR »

ON4ANT once got a partial decode from me in 2002 on 50MHz EME. I had a temporary 9 el yagi up for the occasion and was running 100w on JT44, the precursor to JT65.

So it can be done.
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK3AXH wrote:... one big single yagi say on a 5 wavelength boom ...
30m boom! That's one big yagi :shock:

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3AXH
Forum Novice

Post by VK3AXH »

Wayne,

Sorry I got the band wrong. I will blame it on my old age. BTW 5 wl on 2mx is 10m not 30m. Hope I got this bit right as I have 4 of them.

good Luck, Ian - VK3AXH
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

My beam is pointed to the moon but what frequency should I be listening on?

Wayne VK4WDM
YU7EF
Forum Novice

Post by YU7EF »

Wayne

For couple of years I worked several stations on 6m EME with only 7 el. yagi and 100W delivered from FT847 so there is no reason
to be reluctant about at least taking a listen when best EME conditions (low DGR and noise temperature) ... log in to ON4KST JT65
EME chat room and you will see where people are ... particularly pay attention to 50.190 where W7GJ is working and you will see
if you can copy him and I am almost certain you will - I use to call Lance 6m EME beacon as I always can receive him, even when
conditions are not perfect ... best I heard him was as good as -12dB with perfect audio speaker copy so you have a picture of what
is possible ... don't hesitate, give it a go

With some 500W and your 7 el. yagi you should be able to work at least 10 stations in very short time ... if you have fairly flat and
clear horizon than your ground gain will be exceptional which helps a lot

Attached are few screen shots of what I received with 7 el yagi at 11m above the ground - 22m H1000 coax run, no mast head LNA

Pop, YU7EF
Attachments
IW5DHN.gif
K2ZD-YU7EF_20100616.gif
W7GJ_20120624.gif
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Pop

That is very encouraging, thank you! I thought I would be working Europe on 6m terrestial this week but nothing so far :(

Not like last cycle when we worked dx every night.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

Hi Wayne. For where you are located (and limited space), my recommendation would be a pair of 6M7JHV's, a pre-amp and good feedline. You mentioned that you have LDF4-50 but, does it run from the back of your radio to the rotator...and then some good lcf 1/2 or equivalent around the rotator and straight to the feed point?

Make sure the antenna is clear of the trees to maximise ground gain. 6m7jhv's are very light (1 hand job) & a pair of them would enchance your TEP and give you the edge required for EME.

Use the ON4KST EME web page. You will be able to see who is playing EME on 6 and where we all operate.

I will be at Bluewater between 21 - 24th April doing investment property inspections, visiting family, decanting a tower, etc. If your serious about it, i can bring over a 3cx800 for some grunt ? price - negotiable.

That's my 2c worth.
Gary
VK8AW/VK4ABW
VK4RF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4RF »

I am in the process of sourcing material now for my attempt at 6MT EME as well. Got to be more in life than just HF
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK4ABW wrote:..... (1 hand job).....

That's my 2c worth.
Gary
VK8AW/VK4ABW
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK3AUU
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3AUU »

Wayne, if you have a clear shot of the horizon you will get about 5.5 db of extra gain. Try listening for W7GJ for a start. You should get him at least at -25, possibly even -23. If you have elevation you will be that 5.5 db worse off. I have been there and done the measurements. You probably need a bit more grunt to work him because he is running 1500 watts out. JR2HCB is another good one to listen for. Also, try measuring sun noise on the rising and setting moon. That will give you a good guide as to where your peak gain is.

Good luck

David
VK3AUU
VK4ABW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ABW »

Thanks Alan :shock:

Glad someone got a laugh out of it.

de Gary
VK8AW / VK4ABW
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

I am going to have a go at maximising my receive ability first, which will obviously be useful for terrestrial work as well. If I can hear signals off the moon I will think about increasing my ERP, although I have to be mindful of EMR requirements at this QTH.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK4ABW wrote:Thanks Alan :shock:

Glad someone got a laugh out of it.

de Gary
VK8AW / VK4ABW
Sorry, couldn't resist Gary. Just happened that somebody recently brought up Mike, VK2FLR's, comment about EME being better than sex. :mrgreen:

On a serious note Wayne, Google 6m EME and select "images". A great way to skim through a lot more info than a regular search. Lance and others have been working hard to get people active. I just wish I had enough real estate and a quiet enough location.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv