Reference locking the IC-7400/IC-746pro

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Reference locking the IC-7400/IC-746pro

Post by VK2XAX »

Hi all,

I recently completed a project to reference lock my Ic-7400. This rig is easier to do since you can use injection locking to bring it on frequency. This involves coupling a reference signal into the LO.

To do this I wound 5 turns of 0.3mm wire around L1901 in the LO circuit and brought that out to the back of the rig via tiny coax to an SMA. I didn't want to drill holes in this rig so I mounted the SMA to a plate that was then bolted to a convenient spot on the back panel vents. I selected a place that was out of the main air flow from the PA so as not to compromise cooling.

The IC-7400 uses a 30.2Mhz LO so I once again turned to my favorite Rubidium Oscillator, the FE-5680A revision B.

The RB's DDS I reprogrammed to 10.666666Mhz, built one of my low noise tripplers, added a small SMP buck booster to isolate everything from PSU fluctuations and filtered that will an LT1764 low noise regulator.

The result.... a signal with a phase noise of -101.3dBc/Hz @ 1khz and within 0.037 Hz of the required 32Mhz and harmonics >65Db down on the fundamental.

The 7400 is now rock steady with excellent phase noise and no increase in harmonics. Mind you the IC-7400 already has excellent phase noise performance so basically this addition did not detract from that but added frequency accuracy and stability.

regards

Tim
Attachments
RB and Trippler
RB and Trippler
LO coupling
LO coupling
Coax path
Coax path
Phase Noise at 14.2Mhz, before and after.
Phase Noise at 14.2Mhz, before and after.
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Re: Reference locking the IC-7400/IC-746pro

Post by VK2ZRH »

That's what I like to see - a bit of discipline :lol:

Well done, Tim.

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK2XAX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2XAX »

LOL.... very funny Roger :D

Also here is a few more pics of the back panel....
Attachments
Coax path top
Coax path top
SMA Back Panel
SMA Back Panel
--

VK2XAX :: QF56if23 :: BMARC :: WIA :: AMSAT-VK
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Good stuff Tim.

I'm sure the major manufacturers will slowly introduce 10MHz ref in sockets on commercial radios, now that stability is a requirement for data modes.

And Roger, that's the exact same method by which your 746 is locked :D (only, of course, with GPS).

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Hi Rob,

Yes Rob, I'm aware of how my '746 is locked :D

I'm working on putting together a distribution amp system for the Trimble reference in my shack-to-be, to "discipline" other items of equipment.

Given that hams have been ref-locking their rigs (or attempting same) for the past decade, I'm sure the manufacturers will surprise us some time soon by including it as a BIG DEAL FEATURE :shock: :lol:

I like your make-no-holes approach, Tim.

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH