Attempted OCF Dipole

630m (472 kHz) - 10 m (29 MHz) antennas, propagation, operating, etc
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Re: Attempted OCF Dipole

Post by VK5IR »

Stupid question no. 2684:

What colour wire is best disguised by the sky?

I was thinking light blue or white.

Any suggestions?
Theo
VK5IR
VK6ZFG
Frequent Poster

Post by VK6ZFG »

My suggestion is a light grey. You need to cater for a range of sky conditions that will vary from blue to cloudly with colours ranging from white to grey to even black.

No point in picking out a colour that works well with only one sky condition and stands out in all the others (unless of course the sky is always the same where you are!). You need something that works over a gange of sky conditions to suit your area.

73s
Igor
73s
Igor
VK6ZFG
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

I would say white, since white will reflect all colours of the sky since white is a composite of all colours of the visible spectrum.

Light blue will only reflect light blue, and against other shades in the absence of much light blue in the spectrum would appear quite dark.

Is this to appease neighbours, XYL, or the council? :)

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

VK2GOM wrote:
Is this to appease neighbours, XYL, or the council? :)
Neither, just thought that since I'm going to be stringing up a new antenna, I may as well try to get it to blend into the background a bit more.

Previous antennas have been made from red and green/yellow (earth) wire.
Theo
VK5IR
VK2TJF

Post by VK2TJF »

Colour? I have a commercial multi-element dipole up. The insulation on the elements is grey and the little spreaders are grey. I think it sticks out like dog's. Perhaps it's because I know it's there. I should ask someone who isn't a ham if it's noticable.

I did think the G5RV was less noticable, but it was black and a single wire.
VK5IR
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5IR »

So I went into Jaycar today looking for some white wire.

The only white stuff they had was light duty hookup wire which was too thin. They did have some nice red and black heavy duty wire which would have been ideal, but it didn't come in black. Their code is WH3040.

So does anyone know where I can get some white wire ideal for a dipole? Only needs to handle 100 watts.

Thanks.
Theo
VK5IR
VK3AIF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AIF »

Try an electrical wholesaler like maybe Mitty's or similar. They should have the colour and gauge you are after.