Antenna Masts in NSW - the political campaign

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Antenna Masts in NSW - the political campaign

Post by VK2ZRH »

The battle over NSW planning restrictions on amateur radio antenna masts now has to enter a new phase – the political campaign.

The plan is to encourage NSW amateurs to write to their local member of the NSW Parliament.

Preparing a letter to your local member requires a different approach to writing a submission to a government department. Name of your electorate and local member slipped your mind ? No matter. To help you, I have had a guide to finding your local member and set of simple letter-writing guidelines posted to the WIA website, here:
http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

When you write to your local member about an issue that concerns you, they will most likely write to the relevant minister - in this case, the NSW Minister for Planning and Infrastructure, the Honourable Brad Hazzard MP, who is the Member for Wakehurst.

You can expect that your letter to your local member will be sent to the Minister.

If your local member is a member of the Government, the Minister's Office will refer the correspondence to the Department of Planning & Infrastructure to draft a response to your local member for the Minister's signature.

For you guys on the northern beaches in Sydney, the Minister is your local member. That's an advantage. :D

But, if your local member is either an independent or a member of the opposition, the Minister's Office will likely refer the correspondence to the Department of Planning & Infrastructure to write a reply to your local member from the Department - or, at best - a reply from one of the Minister's advisors. :roll:

Either way, all the correspondence that flows on this issue will send a signal to the Minister and the Department of Planning that this issue is of serious concern to many electors. :wink:

They have to get the message that the radio amateurs of NSW want exemptions for antenna masts to be included in the proposed new planning system.

When your local member gets an answer, they'll contact you with the reply.

Amateurs of NSW - get cracking :!:

Posted in the interests of stirring up some action :mrgreen:

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK6OX
Forum Diehard

Re: Antenna Masts in NSW - the political campaign

Post by VK6OX »

Good grief, not one positive (or negative) response in 5hrs. :?

The upshot of what happens in VK2 will have VK-wide ramifications....and I sincerely hope that those ramifications will be on the positive side of the ledger as well.

Please don't let the acronym AR stand for Apathy Rules. :roll:

Andy VK6OX
Andy VK6OX

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK6OX wrote:Good grief, not one positive (or negative) response in 5hrs. :?

The upshot of what happens in VK2 will have VK-wide ramifications....and I sincerely hope that those ramifications will be on the positive side of the ledger as well.

Please don't let the acronym AR stand for Apathy Rules. :roll:

Andy VK6OX
writing to mjy localo member is as about effective as writing to Santa Claus

better if we all meet in front of Parliament house with some big banners and setup a radio station on the front steps. Make sure that the press is there
john
From the Hill in Muswellbrook. VK2MUS
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Actually, John, it's more effective than you perceive. Read my explanation - again - of what happens when you write a letter.

A dozen souls standing around outside Parliament with banners doesn't cut the mustard. 20,000+ State public servants blocking Macquarie Street from Hyde Park to the State Library earlier this year - with ALL the press in attendance - got a lot of media coverage but didn't make much of a dent in the Government's plans to cut wages and retrench public servants.

I've been on "both sides of the fence" in these sorts of activities. I know how it works.

You may not remember, but back in the mid-1990s, when the radio licensing authority of the day proposed doubling the Amateur Licence fee - from $36 to $72 a year - I instigated a campaign for amateurs to make merry hell with their federal MPs. It occasioned comments and statements in the House of Reps. Three months later, the new fee was set at $50 a year, at the behest of the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Communications. Yes, there was media coverage at the time, instigated by yours truly. But that media coverage actually served to mobilise the radio amateur community to protest to their MPs. It didn't take amateurs with placards milling on the lawns outside Parliament House in Canberra.

As for this current campaign, there has already been media coverage of the issue, in the Sydney Morning Herald. See here:
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/techno ... 28hno.html

I know that that article immediately motivated a certain AR Club President to write to his local member. For all I know, others have already done so, too.

Disclosure: I am not a member of any political party.

If you think we haven't had a fair go over antenna masts, get cracking! :mrgreen:

VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

Actually, John, it's more effective than you perceive
Had a fair part of my life dealing with State Gov'n departments as many farmers have also - the minister will be guided by his department. If we want to get back on the agenda then it is the department we have to persuade – like it or not we are a minority so we need to tackle it a bit different

Ask the question why an amateur radio operator is being equated to a broadcast operator – why are amateur radio antenna treated basically the same as the abc broadcast antenna, ask why is that I can put up a tv tower on the roof that is so high it requires serious guying without a development application but I can’t put up a transmitting antenna to the same height

In this town I can put up a windmill tower in the back yard as an exempt development but I can’t put a transmitting antenna on it without a dev application

Telling them we are good boys who are there incase the phone system falls apart and we are just waiting to help them in the next fire or flood is not going to get any thing changed.

We are a small band of people with a hobby and that’s how the dept will see us (in fact has seen us) and the only way is to get vocal call in the help from the media and maybe sing a few rounds of Alice’s restaurant
was set at $50 a year
how come radio licences are one orf the few commonwealth fees that do not have a pensioner discount - maybe we need a campaign for this also

John
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

All good points, John. But I see you haven't read through the material posted on the WIA website, and you seem to have missed what I posted here - all the mail generated will go through to the Department of Planning & Infrastructure.

The issue is that streamlined approvals or exemptions for radio masts, antennas or aerials for licensed radio amateurs in NSW has not been considered in the Planning System Review.

Current council development regulations are not uniform across the State. Council staff don't understand about radio amateurs needs :o

When the proposed new regulations go before the Legislative Assembly, local members should be aware that radio amateurs have an issue. Writing to them will make them aware. Standing outside Parliament House waving placards for a day will not have the same impact (if any).

Interesting factoid: there are about as many farmers as there are radio amateurs :shock:

You've half-written a letter to your local member already :wink:

VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Roger,

Has there been any private meetings sought with senior staff in the Department of Planning? I know how the public service works very well and all Ministerials do is give public servants the irrits & make them far less likely to be accommodating. Letting them know that you aren't going away and the next step is a whole load of annoying paper work may make them a little more receptive.

One thing that does concern me is that I still don't fully understand what is being asked for. What is your proposed policy regime for AR towers? Has anyone actually drafted a proposed guideline for a SEPP exempting AR towers from regular planning policy? If I was your local member that is what I would want to see before I pursue your case because it tells me you are rational and organised and not just another bunch of breath holding, foot stomping overgrown children.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK2AAH wrote:Roger,

Has there been any private meetings sought with senior staff in the Department of Planning? I know how the public service works very well and all Ministerials do is give public servants the irrits & make them far less likely to be accommodating. Letting them know that you aren't going away and the next step is a whole load of annoying paper work may make them a little more receptive.

One thing that does concern me is that I still don't fully understand what is being asked for. What is your proposed policy regime for AR towers? Has anyone actually drafted a proposed guideline for a SEPP exempting AR towers from regular planning policy? If I was your local member that is what I would want to see before I pursue your case because it tells me you are rational and organised and not just another bunch of breath holding, foot stomping overgrown children.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
spot on Richard - I would have expected that the Federal Body and at least the State body representing the hobby would have had direct contact with the Department. From attendance at the Community hearings (that were held around the regions) the small cause was going to be over taken by Bunning’s, Masters and the other chains. There is also a misunderstanding of what actually is a Ham Radio antenna – some are a simple stick in the sky while some are massive structures on top of a tower – there cannot be a simple spec for an amateur radio antenna – instead of looking at the meat of the problem we wrote letters that highlight our importance in natural disasters which in most cases is pie in the sky thinking.

We need specs that highlite the need for limiting interference to neighbours both in radio interference and sight interference and specs that highlite the need for height not so we can chase a DX but to limit any danger of rf burns etc to humans ie we need specs that highlite our requirements and obligations under the Radio Communication Act..

However at this stage in the process I fear it is too late the decisions have been made and will be sent off to parliament and passed.
The issue is that streamlined approvals or exemptions for radio masts, antennas or aerials for licensed radio amateurs in NSW has not been considered in the Planning System Review.
Actually it has – it just that it was not considered important enough or demanding enough to be part of the continuing process. It may have been however if as Richard suggests it had been more technical then fanciful.
John
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

By the way VK2FJRS there is no state body. There seems to be a misconception mainly by their members that ARNSW somehow represent VK2's in NSW??? How very wrong that concept is! They are just a Sydney radio club. Have they made a submission? It is up to the WIA (The National body), individual Clubs, and individual VK2's to make representations. Roger has taken the ball and run with it in liaison with the WIA and the VK2's -Good on him!

Once the chance has gone there is no chance of change. Think about it carefully and if you live in VK2 how important your hobby and antennae are to you. Sitting on your hands and waiting for someone else to act for you will not assist.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
Tony
VK2TS
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

None of which Tony changes or addresses my concerns. No-one is saying not to do anything, I am just raising questions about what is being asked for. I am being told to write to my local MP... so what should I write? Without a co-ordinated, properly researched policy or objective all we are going to do is make ourselves look like nutters. There are planning processes- has anyone from ARNSW sought advice from a consultant planner on what is needed in a statewide planning instrument to exempt AR operators from normal planning processes? And have any of the complications been addressed? Such as what happens when someone is no longer licenced... do they have to pull their tower down? I may seem petty- but you can bet any half decent planning lawyer (and they will be giving the Department advice) will ask these questions and then some.

And yes I have served in local government & chaired a Planning & Development committee where towers have come before it. I'm not a town planner but I do understand the fundamental processes.

Cheers,

Richard
VK2AAH
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

VK2AAH wrote:........ I am being told to write to my local MP... so what should I write? .......
Visit the WIA www site. Roger has done a good job at helping you on this. http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Thanks Compton, this answered my question:

http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... ov2012.pdf

Regards,

Richard
VK2AAh
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

The answers, Richard, were in my first posting on this page . . . which Compton kindly pointed you to :D

Perhaps the left-click button or the scroll wheel on your mouse wasn't working :wink:

As to what's proposed (and it was first proposed 12 months ago):

The WIA proposes the following:

A/ A ground mounted radio mast or antenna of up to ten metres (10m) height be an exempt development, or if attached to a building, that the mast can extend up to five metres (5m) above the roof line.

B/ Above ten metres (10m), masts of up to fifteen metres (15m) should only require a simplified (complying) permit, based on given standards (eg. AS1170), without the necessity for a development application to be lodged with a local council. A private or council certifier would provide a complying development certificate (which provides approval and a construction certificate, as per SEPP 2008).

C/ That it needs to be accepted that more than one radio mast or antenna may be erected on a licensed radio amateur’s domestic property. In reality, there are practical as well as technical limits that constrain the number of radio mast and antenna erections on a domestic property. Radio amateurs need flexibility to pursue their interests on amateur radio frequency bands anywhere across the radiofrequency spectrum.

Other states have made provisions for amateur radio operators under development regulations, such as Victoria and South Australia. The South Australian Development Regulations 2008, under Schedule 3,covering “acts and activities which are not development” – Section 12, Aerials, towers etc – sets out the exemption applying to prescribed infrastructure for “a person who holds an amateur licence under the Radiocommunications Act 1992 of the Commonwealth, 10 metres.”

Here's the text of the SA Development Regs:

At: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/n ... /sch3.html

DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS 2008 (NO 233 OF 2008) - SCHEDULE 3

Schedule 3—Acts and activities which are not development

A1—Application of Schedule 3

The following acts or activities are excluded from the definition of development (other than in respect of a State heritage place, or as otherwise indicated below).

12—Aerials, towers etc
(1) Other than in respect of a local heritage place or in the Hills Face Zone, the construction, alteration or extension of prescribed infrastructure (including any incidental excavation or filling) if—
(a) the total height of the prescribed infrastructure, when constructed, altered or extended, will not exceed (taking into account attachments (if any))—
(i) in the case of prescribed infrastructure not attached to a building—
(A) in Metropolitan Adelaide—7.5 metres or, in the case of prescribed infrastructure to be used solely by a person who holds an amateur licence under the Radiocommunications Act 1992 of the Commonwealth, 10 metres;
(B) in any other case—10 metres;

Posted in the interests of clearing the fog :mrgreen:

VK2AAH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2AAH »

Fog lifted Roger... thanks!

Richard
VK2AAH
ZL4TAE
Forum Novice

Post by ZL4TAE »

Afternoon All
Have a look at this outcome for inspiration http://www.nzart.org.nz/nzart/ant-plan/branch-88-1/
Tauranga City Council fought and lost this one
Wellington CC are sitting on the fence awaiting these proceedings
Many other councils will be 'reviewing' their District Plans and the TCC outcome is the most significant advance we have seen in NZ in favour of the AR fraternity

Another Branch in South Island responded to a restrictive new District Plan by offerring to withdraw AR support for Civil Defence situations and so far the DP has not been used against any operator

Go for it, get stuck in or your cause will be toast
Terry ZL4TAE
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Thank you Terry (and other ZLs who've contributed). All very interesting.

You may notice from the South Australian development regs posted here that the exemption is nowhere near as prescriptive as outlined on the web page you posted. With 153 local councils in NSW, we'd rather avoid having to fight exemptions council by council, let alone pursue it through the (rather expensive) NSW Land & Environment Court (as some local amateur commentators have suggested :shock: ).

Here, up till this current planning system review, winning a Court battle in one local government area did not translate that result to another local government area :roll:. We're plugging for that situation to change, so that amateur antenna exemptions are uniform State-wide. The current regs on exempt/complying development covers everything from aviaries, BBQs and carports, to flagpoles, garden sheds and more - and apply State-wide. Ham antenna masts need to be added, with the least possible prescription :D.

Nevertheless, your outcome/s will be of considerable interest here, well worth keeping an eye on.

VK4BLP

Post by VK4BLP »

VK2FJRS wrote: writing to mjy localo member is as about effective as writing to Santa Claus

better if we all meet in front of Parliament house with some big banners and setup a radio station on the front steps. Make sure that the press is there
john
Negativity like that is not what we want.

How do you know that your letter to your local MP is ineffective ?

Write a real letter, not a silly email, and post it in to your local MP. Far too many people write emails that carry very little weight in comparison to letters written on paper and posted in, and a thousand times more powerful than a online petition.

I believe a written letter still requires a written response to the sender.

Always be firm but polite.... attract more bees with sugar than with vinegar. :)

Banner waving fools outside of parliament do diddly-squat, and that's with the really huge crowds, not the tiny dozen Amateurs who might turn up.

All VK2's need to write to their local MP NOW!!!! ... the rest of us Amateurs in VK are hopeful the NSW rules are going to be positive to AR, otherwise we could be just as much in the doo-doo as you vk2's will be in the future.
VK2MUS
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2MUS »

VK4BLP wrote:
VK2FJRS wrote: writing to mjy localo member is as about effective as writing to Santa Claus

john
Negativity like that is not what we want.

How do you know that your letter to your local MP is ineffective ?

Write a real letter, not a silly email, and post it in to your local MP. Far too many people write emails that carry very little weight in comparison to letters written on paper and posted in, and a thousand times more powerful than a online petition.

I believe a written letter still requires a written response to the sender.

Always be firm but polite.... attract more bees with sugar than with vinegar. :)

Banner waving fools outside of parliament do diddly-squat, and that's with the really huge crowds, not the tiny dozen Amateurs who might turn up.

All VK2's need to write to their local MP NOW!!!! ... the rest of us Amateurs in VK are hopeful the NSW rules are going to be positive to AR, otherwise we could be just as much in the doo-doo as you vk2's will be in the future.
Firstly the draft will most probably be debated and discussed in Committee not in the house, we need to know what members are on that committee and target them

One would assume that we were dropped from the draft thro lack of detail, in other words we did not put our case forward as well as it should have been ( have a read of the NZ submissions and the detail they have gone into) rather then have everyone simply send a copy of a letter we maybe should have written the draft exemption in the language that planning committees in Councils can understand – a lot more technical. Councils like to know things like what are we going to put on the tower how much area will it cover (ie 30foot horizontal boom) how will it be stayed, to what standard will it be constructed to etc etc\

If we expect to get back on the draft then we better start answering these and over come concerns that the councils may have

How do I know that sending a letter to G Souris is a waste of time – 10 years of experience dealing with State departments and asking George for help . I went to the Community meeting and put my voice forward I talked to the Department representative and again put my voice forward
I also checked the list of members of both houses to see if any where licensed amateur radio operators – sadly none where or did not publish that info)

We only have 2 chances of getting an outcome to our benefit – firstly in the planning committee stage and we must target those members with something they can present (it is very unlikely that the NSW Government is going to adopt some thing from the South Australian Government especially when it is worded specifically for South Australian zoning conditions)

Finally we may have a long shot of a chance in the upper house with the Shooters party, they are more likely to listen to and side with a small group then the major parties.

We are playing with the big boys and we should if we wish to win starting looking at this more professionally
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

There was movement down at Farrer Place*, for the word had gotten out that the hams had written letters on what they were concerned about . . .

. . . with apologies to Banjo Patterson :) * Farrer Place is the address of Governor Macquarie Tower, where the NSW Government ministers have their offices.

I wrote to my local member on 18 November 2012 (the date of my original posting here).

On 6 December, I received a response (dated 5 December), as follows:
Dear Mr Harrison

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the NSW planning system review.

I understand your concern and have asked the Minister for Planning and Infrastructure for advice on the issue.

I will be in contact again as soon as the response from the Minister for Planning and Infrastructure is received.

Yours sincerely
I await the response with interest :wink:

Posted in the interests of sharing the news.

VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

In case you missed it in passing, the thread continues here: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=11184