Which SDR do you use and why?

VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Re: Which SDR do you use and why?

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Simon
Hi Peter
It (was) 10 watts - off air now being replaced by a 6m repeater. The Antenna here is a dipole @ 5m. I'm line of site to the beacon location - Mount Climie.
What level (dbm) iare you receiving the beacon at ?
Are you getting any adc overload warnings ? and as a somebody on the hpsdr list mentioned have you got any noise filtering turned on ?.
73's Simon ZL2BRG
the local beacon here is on 50.315 (vk5rbv) so quite close to the phone / CW section of 50MHz, I suspect the Mt Climie beacon was on 51 or 52MHz which might give some assistance in rejection? I will try running HERMES at differing frequencies up the band from the beacon and see where it goes back to normal for me. Oh, no noise blanking or other options turned on during the test, did notice that the NB on Hermes does work extremely well when used though.

maybe I just put a 10db attenuator on the beacon transmitter (that will get the locals up in arms)

Hope Hermes is going well for you, I have noticed that it is a bit picky about getting a DHCP assigned IP from my home router so will look at setting a hard coded IP on it some time soon if I keep it.

Peter, vk5pj
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
ZL2BRG
Forum Novice

Post by ZL2BRG »

VK5PJ wrote:Hi Simon
Hi Peter
It (was) 10 watts - off air now being replaced by a 6m repeater. The Antenna here is a dipole @ 5m. I'm line of site to the beacon location - Mount Climie.
What level (dbm) iare you receiving the beacon at ?
Are you getting any adc overload warnings ? and as a somebody on the hpsdr list mentioned have you got any noise filtering turned on ?.
73's Simon ZL2BRG
the local beacon here is on 50.315 (vk5rbv) so quite close to the phone / CW section of 50MHz, I suspect the Mt Climie beacon was on 51 or 52MHz which might give some assistance in rejection? I will try running HERMES at differing frequencies up the band from the beacon and see where it goes back to normal for me. Oh, no noise blanking or other options turned on during the test, did notice that the NB on Hermes does work extremely well when used though.

maybe I just put a 10db attenuator on the beacon transmitter (that will get the locals up in arms)

Hope Hermes is going well for you, I have noticed that it is a bit picky about getting a DHCP assigned IP from my home router so will look at setting a hard coded IP on it some time soon if I keep it.

Peter, vk5pj
Hi Peter
Yes the beacon here was further up the band. 52.275. I can run a test with a sig gen to see if I see anything similar.
I'm quite impressed with the anan10. I run powersdr on windows. along with cusdr on linux. also use a powermate usb dial which is quite nice for tuning.
My hermes was sent without the bootloader, so apache-labs kindly sent a usbblaster foc to allow upgrade to v2.0 which overcomes the occasional lockup problem.
Not had any issues with DHCP here. Sounds like that could be a issue with your router.
73's
Simon
ZL2BRG
VK5PJ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5PJ »

Hi Simon,
I did right down the signal strength reported in powersdr, it was -67dBm on the stready carrier of 50.315. Yes I think my routers DHCP could do with a tune up, have noticed that the shack PC occaisonally misses its reservation. May need to look for newer firmware on the router.

good on the added extras from Apache Labs, my front panel on the case was screen printed on the wrong side, so no questions asked thy just shipped a new one to me FedEx.

Peter, vk5pj
Peter Sumner, vk5pj
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
VK4VU
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4VU »

Hi Peter,

I'm keen to know whether you resolved the issue with your Hermes board.

Was the problem limited to the 50 MHz band, or have you noticed similar effects on other bands ?

Rod Preston VK4KZR