Servicing an Yaesu FT-847?

Transceiver mods, fixes, issues, reviews
VK4WDM

Servicing an Yaesu FT-847?

Post by VK4WDM »

My FT-847 has developed a strange problem. When the PTT is pressed, or it is keyed after lying idle for a while there is very little immediate power output. If the action is repeated a few times it gradually moves up to full output and will be ok until it lies idle again.

Does anyone know what might be happening?

It has never had a service, and after 12 years, it probably should have one, but where can I send it? I need somewhere, or someone with a quick turnaround because this radio is in constant use for VHF and digital modes. A pensioner discount would also be good :P

Ideas please.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK7JG

Re: Servicing an Yaesu FT-847?

Post by VK7JG »

Hello Wayne.
Does this happen on all bands .
Sounds like the ALC could be holding the TX off . I have never experienced this fault but a quick check with a multimeter should show you what is happening.
The ALC socket is on the back bottom left looking from the front.

Measure the voltage at this point by poking your multimeter lead in the center hole .

My radio has 0.6 Volts when on RX and drops to 0.1 Volt on TX . If there is any negative voltage it will shut down the transmitter .

Just a thought .

Joe
VK7JG
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Hi Joe

That's a thought! I will try it and see.

Wayne VK4WDM
ZL2TDA

Post by ZL2TDA »

Did you ever find a solution?
I would have suggested to check the main power switch beause they have caused a lot of problems. Either parallel the contacts, replace use a relay for the higher current.
Also the VSWR protection seems to shut down the power output without much else obvious.
VK4WDM

Post by VK4WDM »

Thank you for asking. I sent it to a tech. He has had it running on the bench for a few weeks and no problem has occurred, but something else has surfaced here at home when using my IC-756PRO3 on 6m.

The SWR became very unstable and then the rig went very deaf. My rotating I have a junction box on the antenna mast where the flexible "tails" from the antennas are connected to the main feedlines. It also contains the multiplexer that connects the 6,2 and 70cm antennas to a single feedline. When I opened the box it was filled with an ants nest, with lots of gooy matter and quite damp. The formic acid from the ants had also corroded the connectors. :shock:

You make the comment with regard to the FT-847: "VSWR protection seems to shut down the power output without much else obvious." . I think that was the cause of my problem. The repeated closing of the PTT finally made some sort of match and the power increased. The only thing that does not add up for that theory is that the "high SWR" light did not come on. Maybe it is faulty.

I cleaned up the mess, replaced the connectors, and ant-proofed the box and the SWR on the IC-756 is back to normal.

I am not too concerned that the tech has not found anything wrong. The rig needed re-alignment and the memory battery replaced anyway. The main switch was replaced some time ago.

Wayne VK4WDM
ZL2TDA

Post by ZL2TDA »

Yuk to the ants. The 847 Hi VSWR light comes on about 4:1 but the power starts cutting back at about 1.5:1 and is down to half power at 2:1. This was on 10M FM.
Hope this helps
Denis ZL2TDA