Mount Conobolas site checkout

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK2GOM

Mount Conobolas site checkout

Post by VK2GOM »

I went up Mt. Conobolas this afternoon. First time up there, quite a view! Most directions have good LOS, apart from some trees to the NW, and East.

I grabbed the location and height asl from my IC2820, and also took an image of the compass rose on the summit point. I certainly saw some nice distant hills that would make good microwave (or red light!) locations. Towards the NNE was a very distant hill shaped somewhat like a loaf of bread. Not sure what land feature that was, but it was very prominent on the horizon. Possibly out towards Mudgee direction?

I put out a few calls on FM 2m simplex, and also on 2m SSB announcing I was /P on the summit, and in the finest traditions of ham radio - zero replies :lol:

Interestingly, on readying to head back down, I started the 4x4, which ran really very erratically, and simply had no power, and was not responding properly to the throttle. Not sure if it was Oxygen starvation at altitude, or RF from the nearby towers causing problems with the car ECU. I had visions of calling the 'No Real Mechanics Available' crew out, but then it seemed to fix itself and I got off the summit, quick!

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH

VK2JDH

Re: Mount Conobolas site checkout

Post by VK2JDH »

VK2GOM wrote: Towards the NNE was a very distant hill shaped somewhat like a loaf of bread. Not sure what land feature that was, but it was very prominent on the horizon. Possibly out towards Mudgee direction?
Might be Mt Corocudgy?
VK3DXE
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3DXE »

VK2GOM wrote:...(or red light!) locations.
Don't think most of our wimin folks would be pleased about that :wink:

I presume your 4x4 is injected Rob? Unlikely to be oxygen starvation at only 5k feet unless it's already horribly under powered.
Alan VK3DXE
QF21nv
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Hi Alan, thanks for your reply. It is EFI, but the O2 sensors have problems. My engine warning light is permanently on. If I do an OBD2 diagnostics check, I get 'Lean on bank 1, Lean on bank 2'. If i then reset the fault light, it comes back on a day or so later with the same warning once the engine is put on any sort of load; going up a hill etc.

So thinner air plus bad O2 sensors might still be the issue sending bad data to the ECU.

Or the RF that is floating around up there... some impressive towers:

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

I have a nice 3D photo of that view I have taken, but can't seem to find it.
I can however offer a view from the top of that tower for you :)

http://www.satvg.org/pictures/places/canobolis_360.jpg