Beware of ants! (Not a joke!)

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK4WDM

Beware of ants! (Not a joke!)

Post by VK4WDM »

I will set the scene by describing my feedline system. The "tails" from my 70cm, 2m and 6m antennas are led into a heavy duty plastic box where they are connected via duplexer to a single feedline that leads back to the shack. the plastic box is sealed from the weather but has a couple of drainage holes in the bottom to allow any condensed water to escape.

Over the past few months the SWR on my 2m and 6m antennas has been a bit unstable at times but seemed to be fixed by replacing patch lines within the shack, but a week ago the 6m yagi went deaf and the SWR went extremely high. Nothing could be found at the shack end so I decided to drop the mast to examine the feedline-antenna connection.

While I was preparing to do this I noticed that the feedline had become an ant highway - they were going up one side and back down the other, and when I opened the plastic box I was confronted by an ant's nest full of bits of leaves, brown granules (presumably ant sh--), a wet gooy brown substance, and corroded connectors. (presumably from the formic acid that ants produce). The goo had even found it's way into the interior of the triplexer. :shock:

So one can add ants to the traditional cockatoos as a threat to antenna systems! :(

When I replace the box I will cover the holes with some fine stainless steel mesh.

Wayne VK4WDM
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Re: Beware of ants! (Not a joke!)

Post by VK3ALB »

Perhaps you could just leave the bottom of the box completely open? I think that would present a less inviting home for ants and other living things.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour