Spring VHF/UHF FD 2012

Contesting, Field Days, Activity Days, Portable operating, JOTA, SOTA
VK3YFL
Forum Novice

Re: Spring VHF/UHF FD 2012

Post by VK3YFL »

VK3YFL/P will be at Kinglake National Park (QF22PL) with 6m - 23cm plus 10GHz - Lou I've a new tripod mount for the 10GHz dish and so hopefully it will help us make it this time!
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

OK Bryon, we'll be looking out for you. This time for sure!
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

VK3ER/p will be at the usual McLaughlin's Lookout QF22CM for the 24 hours.

Several new things are being tried in the microwave area:

(1) a dual band loop feed (RF Hamdesign) to a 1.2 mx 0.5 F/d offset dish

(2) a triband loop feed (RF Hamdesign) to a 1.0 mx 0.5 F/d offset dish with 3 DEMI tranverters mounted right at the feed. Hopefully this will help our aiming capability in the wind on 10 GHz

(3) a new winching system for the dish poles (OH&S considerations)on the trailer

(4) GPS locking of the lower frequency (2 and 70cm) rigs coupled with GPS locking of the transverters to give "dead on" frequency.

Looking forward to what looks like quite good conditions in the south east corner of Oz this weekend.

Cheers

Peter VK3QI (for the team of Max 3WT, Jack 3WWW, Mike 3AVV and Jonas VK3VF and maybe some other club operators).
VK3ES

Post by VK3ES »

G'day All,

I'll be operating from the home shack (just north of Mt Macedon - QF22hp) with 6m to 13cm. I'll also have 10GHz (10W, 60cm dish) but it will be located a few hundred meters from the shack, away from the trees.

Call me if you want to arrange a contact - 0429 862 140

Andy VK3ES
VK4ADC
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4ADC »

Hi all,

I note that the VKLogger profiles for most of the club stations (as noted previously in this topic) don't exist - or haven't been updated for a while.
How about fixing that today, fellas ??

Looks like yet another wet FD weekend up here in southern VK4, with showers and storms predicted for my preferred Spring FD portable location near Toowoomba, plus Brisbane etc !!

If the weather outlook looks really bad tomorrow morning, I have another site in an outer south-west Brisbane suburb ( QG62LJ ) that will have to suffice - a 30-35Km round trip instead of around 240-250Km.

Either way, I will be operating on at least 6, 2, 70, 23, 13 and 9cm SSB (plus some FM on 6, 2, 70), rain, hail or shine. (well, maybe not hail !)
Doug VK4ADC, QG62lg51
http://www.vk4adc.com
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

Hi

I just went to check if I had the latest version of VK Contest Logger (http://www.mnds.com.au/vkcl/) and it appears that the web site has been hacked :shock:

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

What a waste of oxygen these people are.

For what it's worth I downloaded the latest version about a week ago. I have version 3.5 Build 12190.2021
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK2JH

Post by VK2JH »

Hi all,

Lived here nearly two years now, but still busy gardening, building horse fences etc, to get serious again with a portable station. However, on Sunday morning, I hope to fire up the home station on 6, 2, 70 and even 23cm to see if I hear anyone or, more importantly, if anyone hears me, especially on 23cm, as it has never heard or issued a word on it yet!! I am located at Mount Hallen, about 272 deg bearing from Brissy.

73 and good luck (give 'em heaps Boze)

John
VK4JHC/VK2JH
QG62EQ
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

Hi all

Going for a bit of a drive as usual......

Using the wife's Falcon again with a bootload of transverters and a rack of antennas on the back..

Piloting the new transverter master control system......buttons 1-9 on the keypad in the photo select transverters from 50 Mhz to 24 Ghz (ie 9 bands)
The LCD display echos the VGA screen data if I want to save power and kill the monitor
2012 VHF-UHF Setup.jpg

Tim

VK5ZT - Rover
VK3QI
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3QI »

Tim,

I am sitting right next to Mike 3AVV in the tent at the moment and both the VKCL and Beacon sites are working - however, Mike tells me that this morning the Beacon site wss definitely hacked, but they must have given up during the day some time.

Good luck in the contest - hope we can work you from VK3ER/p

Cheers

Peter VK3QI
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

VK2CU wrote: Will be out and about from 0600 Sunday at my seventh gridsquare, then from about 0730 at the next at South Guyra where I will hang around for a while as it is a good spot, then will be at the QG square for
You could pull up across the road and get some points from me on several bands but you have no chance in hell of getting me out of bed before 9am.
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Keep in mind, that you can QSY below .150 on all bands except 6m. Just dont call on the call freqs 144.100 etc. Makes it easier to find a clear freq on 2m etc if not everyone QSY's up from 144.150.
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

Up and running from Walter Henderson Park Kobble Creek QG62jr
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353731446.547708.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353731460.501154.jpg
Last edited by VK4CZ on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2XQ

Post by VK2XQ »

Pity the 50MHz conditions are crap today Scott, would love to work you after all the trouble you went to. Hope you are doing well on the other bands and thus make it all worth while. Only one Field Day worked/heard so far on six here, and he was just 40kms away... :(

Sink a few cold ones Scott, good luck! :wink:
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

It's very quiet at my QTH (Sydney) with a vertical.

I've heard 3 stations while dropping in and out of the shack this arvo. :shock:
VK2KRR

Post by VK2KRR »

Hi Adrian, not sure if your looking on FM or SSB in vertical, but if its SSB you would be flat out hearing anyone in vertical unless they were quite close to your QTH, as most would be running horizontal.
Going from prior observations here, the Spring/Summer/Winter field days have never been big on attracting 2m or 70cm FM stations, in comparison to the John Moyle field day for some reason?
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Post by VK4CZ »

VK2XQ wrote:Only one Field Day worked/heard so far on six here, and he was just 40kms away... :(
DXing is in your blood Jack... Next time you'll crack 50km ;)
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK4CRO
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4CRO »

John vk4mjf and myself will be up on Mt Gravatt with 10ghz after 7.00 est
hope to work a few
Ron and John
Cheers
Ron cro
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

I had some spare time yesterday, so I thought I'd help out by giving out some numbers.

I tuned around 2 and 70 SSB for about 45 minutes. Just listening at this stage, didn't bother tuning up

Nada, Nothing, Zilch, Zero.

I gave up and went outside to do some more work in the yard. Found a couple of small pieces of RG58 in the garden...

Bloody Cockatoo's.

That at least explains the lack of received activity.
VK2VHF

Post by VK2VHF »

VK2KRR wrote:Hi Adrian, not sure if your looking on FM or SSB in vertical, but if its SSB you would be flat out hearing anyone in vertical unless they were quite close to your QTH, as most would be running horizontal.
Going from prior observations here, the Spring/Summer/Winter field days have never been big on attracting 2m or 70cm FM stations, in comparison to the John Moyle field day for some reason?
Yes mate working on SSB and fully appreciate the limits of a vertical antenna! I know it attenuated all but the closest stations but was hoping a few others might be running 'sticks' as well as they did last year.

Cheers MN GLXR