Magnifying loupes for SMD

General discussion - When it doesn't fit anywhere else
VK2CMP
Forum Novice

Magnifying loupes for SMD

Post by VK2CMP »

Does anybody have a good set of maginifying loupes that work better that the standard Jcar headset type glasses and don't cost an arm and leg? Recently I made the new minikits preamp which has a couple of really small SMD IC's vs the normal small SMD stuff. I normally use the Jcar type headset glasses that provide about 1.5x magnification. These are fine for a lot of SMD work but my eyes are wearing out of things are getting smaller.

I was at the dentist last week and enquired about where she got her Loupes from. She told me they were $5k and also lent me a set! They are fantastic in that SMD stuff appears more 3D (stereo), sharper, brighter and bigger. However at $5k way over priced. They were 3.5x maginfication at 400mm focal length which was just a bit too long. Click on http://www.zeiss.com.au/C125679E0051C77 ... endocument

I think about 2x or 2.5x magnification at 350mm focal length would be perfect.

If anyone has a good set of Loupes or glasses that provide around 2x magnification I would be keen to hear more.

Cheers
Mick
VK2CMP
VK6ADF
Forum Diehard

Re: Magnifying loupes for SMD

Post by VK6ADF »

I have soldered a couple of SMD items, including the minikits preamp using a magnifying lamp. Probably not the absolute best device to use but it worked ok. I also have an el cheapo 3x loupe but I would not use that for soldering.
73 Phil...VK6ADF
VK5ZD
Forum Diehard

Post by VK5ZD »

VK2CMP wrote:I think about 2x or 2.5x magnification at 350mm focal length would be perfect.
You can get off-the-shelf reading glasses from your local chemist, etc. with strengths from 1.0 to 3.5 in 0.5 steps. You may find they're sufficient for your needs.

Iain
Iain Crawford - VK5ZD
Munno Para West, SA - PF95ih
VK2CMP
Forum Novice

Post by VK2CMP »

Thanks Iain for that I didn't realise reading glasses had such large magnification factors. I'm aiming for something you can you for a couple of hours straight, hands free, without having to lean over really close to the work like the Jcar goggle things. Must say using the Zeiss Loupes really makes you appreciate that having your eyes focused on the job makes it a lot easier and stress (neck) free.

I'll grab some 2x and let you know the comparison.

cheers
Mick
VK2CMP
VK4APN
Frequent Poster

Post by VK4APN »

I have had these for several years - I use for SMD work all the time. A step up from DSE and Jaycar versions...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quality-Illu ... 483bea2259

Paul vk4apn
VK2CMP
Forum Novice

Post by VK2CMP »

Cheers Paul. I did see these and was keen to get some feedback from someone that has used them. They certainly look the goods

Mick
VK2CMP
VK2CSW
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2CSW »

VK2CMP wrote:Thanks Iain for that I didn't realise reading glasses had such large magnification factors. I'm aiming for something you can you for a couple of hours straight, hands free, without having to lean over really close to the work like the Jcar goggle things. Must say using the Zeiss Loupes really makes you appreciate that having your eyes focused on the job makes it a lot easier and stress (neck) free.

I'll grab some 2x and let you know the comparison.

cheers
Mick
VK2CMP
I am not sure that the numbers on those reading glasses refers to magnification - it *should* refer to the diopter or correction factor of the lens.
ZL1RS
Forum Diehard

Post by ZL1RS »

Yes, I was thinking the same (diopter correction factor, not a magnification factor) and tried my pair of +3.0 reading glasses (bought for $3.99) ... they allow me to focus on the work while at a very close distance (about 250mm) but they don't magnify by a factor of 3.

While loupes sound like the way to go, I've also got a pair of dual diopter glasses inherited from my father. The majority of the lense is suitable for reading but the lower 1/4 of the lense has a much higher "strength" allowing me to peer at stuff from about 150mm away just by changing the angle of my head. Brilliant for when you need to get in close to see details.

73, Bob ZL1RS
Bob, ZL1RS in the Bay of Islands at RF64vs
VK2CMP
Forum Novice

Post by VK2CMP »

I'll ask the local optometrist. Seems there is a relationship between magnification and the focal length - this may be the diopter factor? Bit rusty on this stuff.

The good XYL reminded me that at the present time the heath fund will pay for two pairs of specs, so I visited the local shop yesterday and asked if it was possible to get two different glasses. One pair for reading/ computer and one for close in fine work. No problems and the same price (free - the fund paid $250). I discussed (and took an old SMD kit with me) the requirements for the 'fine work' pair - 35cm focal length and larger magnification than reading glasses. In mentioning the Jcar type glasses and the fact that the focal length was too short the optometrist mentioned that it was more likely the power was too large making you have to look closer to get them in focus. Interesting - must work out the math for that..

Anyway it seems normal glasses for reading are made for 40cm working distance and it is very easy for them to specify a 2nd set for 35cm and a higher magnification. Awesome. I'll ask about the maginfication ratios and diopter factors when I pick them up and post the answer.

Cheers
Mick
VK2CMP
VK2CMP
Forum Novice

Post by VK2CMP »

OK apparently the diopter is a unit of measure and related to but not the same as magnification. So if your eyes are rated at say -0.75 diopter and you use 2.0 diopter glasses your magnification will be 1.25x The Jcar 'glasses' had a 3.0 magnifiction when measured however with the short focal length.

The greater the maginification the more critical the focal length i.e. shallow depth of field. It seems to get the magification and the working distance right just tell the optometrist when they make up some specs.

For that extra magnification and bang for buck I like Paul's suggestion

cheers
Mick
VK2CMP
VK3HLM

Post by VK3HLM »

Hi Mick.
Try a Watch Maker Supply company in Melb you may like to try Rose Bros or any watch parts/Tools supply company..

Regards
Frank
VK3HLM
VK2CMP
Forum Novice

Post by VK2CMP »

Thanks for the details Frank

Cheers
Mick

VK2CMP
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

I just got delivered a pair of 20X from eBay which I won for $0.01 as I was the only bidder. They are good, except for the depth of field. You need to have you head bolted in a vise so you don't move. The LED lights are nice. I'll stick with the USB microscope with the added advantage that you can take photos with it as well. Great feature for dis-assembly etc.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK5ZT
Frequent Poster

Post by VK5ZT »

I use a USB microscope also....

It makes SMD resistors look like housebricks if you really crank it up!!

Cheers

Tim VK5ZT
VK2XSO

Post by VK2XSO »

My eyes are pretty good so a lot of SMD I can do without magnification.
When I do need it, the magnifying loupe from Jaycar is ok. Though I have the one on a short arm and a long arm which stays clear of the bench would work much better.

When the going gets tough I use one of my stereo microscopes. I have a very steady hand so using a fine pin tip arm and a soldering iron under the scope is quite easy and I have never burned myself.
The trick is to get the tips of the tools and the component into the scope's field of view first before looking into the scope and starting work.
The performance sounds similar to the USB scopes except that I have a good perception of depth.