Antenna Masts in NSW – More Action!

Related discussion about towers, masts, and transmissions lines
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Antenna Masts in NSW – More Action!

Post by VK2ZRH »

New South Wales amateurs will recall that, since October last year, the NSW Government has been conducting comprehensive reform to the planning laws. As this is the first review of the State’s planning laws for more than 30 years, a golden opportunity was presented to get some consideration for Amateur Radio antenna masts.

The WIA called for NSW amateurs to make submissions to the planning review last year. So many amateurs made submissions that the NSW planning department commented about it on their website in November last year.

Draft legislation has recently been posted on the NSW Planning website and the department has invited all interested parties to comment.

Disappointingly, amateur antenna masts have not been included in the draft. :(

I spoke to a policy officer in the department and asked – what do radio amateurs have to do to get some consideration on this issue ? The answer – make more submissions ! 8)

NSW amateurs, it’s time to express your disappointment and send submissions again. You have until close of business on Friday 9th November.

Get cracking :!:

Detailed directions are on the WIA website here: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

73, Roger Harrison VK2ZRH
VK4CZ
Forum Diehard

Re: Antenna Masts in NSW – More Action!

Post by VK4CZ »

So many amateurs made submissions that the NSW planning department commented about it on their website in November last year.
I spoke to a policy officer in the department and asked – what do radio amateurs have to do to get some consideration on this issue ? The answer – make more submissions !
Their logic is lost on me! :?

GL :!:
Scott VK4CZ
Clear Mountain QG62lp
http://vk4cz.blogspot.com/
VK2HRX
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2HRX »

And for those in Sydney watch out for an article in the Fairfax Media's Sydney Morning Herald in the next couple of days. A few VK2's have been interviewed and variously photographed by an SMH journalist for a story on the amateur antenna mast/tower issue. When you read the story remember that it has been written to appeal to the general readership and not those who are already converted to the cause, ie amateurs! This wont in itself turn the tide but every little bit of publicity helps.
Compton
VK2HRX
QF56ne, Ryde, Sydney
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

Nicole rang me too, but I am not confident she understood that I wanted to keep my setup low key:) She told me she had others that would allow photos and personal information broadcast throughout the media.

Cheers

Tony
VK2TS
Tony
VK2TS
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Nicole Hasham phoned me late this afternoon and said the story would be running in tomorrow's paper (Thursday 31 Oct).

Thanks to everyone who helped: St George ARS, Waverley ARS, Manly-Waringah ARS, Compton/WICEN, Mark VK2MP, Jim VK3PC.

Now to see how it all turns out. :roll:

VK3AIF
Frequent Poster

Post by VK3AIF »

All power to you blokes in VK2 as any regulations made there are likely to flow on to those in other states as well over the goodness of time. I hope it has a good outcome and their logic is lost on me also? Perhaps they had not contemplated responses from the amateur community or even knew of amateurs and said responses did not fit their preconceived plans?
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Story in Sydney Morning Herald today, Thursday 31 October 2012. Online here:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/amateur- ... 28hno.html

VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

Good that it got news-space, but sad to read the last paragraph. This country certainly loves its permits and paperwork.

I wonder, with hindsight, if the article could have been done differently? I guess that was all down to the news editor though. Highlight that taller masts allow more reliable communication such that when the next emergency here arises that threatens and costs lives, that radio amateurs will be better placed to assist in emergency comms. Rather than extolling all the places we are able to talk to with the masts the regulated heights they are? The public perception will be 'well why do they want taller masts then?'

Also, would it have been worth highlighting that there are tens of thousands of homes that have antennas (for TV) vastly more than 1.8m above the roof line, and they have no paperwork...

Have the ARRL with their FCC mast height council over-rider been contacted? Could they add any weight to the argument?

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

VK2GOM wrote: Highlight that taller masts allow more reliable communication such that when the next emergency here arises that threatens and costs lives, that radio amateurs will be better placed to assist in emergency comms. Rather than extolling all the places we are able to talk to with the masts the regulated heights they are?
Emergency comms involving AR operators... really? Hardly relevant in VK anymore. Many of us are obviously still clinging onto this old chestnut...

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK2GOM

Post by VK2GOM »

My apologies. I was under the impression amateur radio was pressed into service in recent disasters. Perhaps it wasn't after all.

Maybe we should all just stick to magnetic loops in our attics and resign ourselves to become a shrinking hobby.

73 - Rob VK2GOM / GW0MOH
VK3BA
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3BA »

Rob, apart from the once-in-a-blue-moon assist, has there ever been an event in the last 20yrs where AR operators have played an active or key role (from their home QTH) within VK ?? The comms networks of the various ESO's around Oz have been faily robust since the early 1990's.

I agree that the process of approval for well constructed & installed domestic towers/masts in backyards could be better/easier/transparent/predictable. But compared to the USofA, AR emergency comms in Oz has little relevance these days. Yes, we should all be prepared, but to use emergency comms as a justification for an oversize tower in a backyard is a bit of a stretch.

An interesting topic.

Cheers,
Nik VK3BA
Bannockburn
http://www.qrz.com/db/VK3BA
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

Hi Guys

The last paragraph of the story got me:

"A planning department spokesman said no change to amateur radio aerial regulation was proposed, and that ''allowing higher aerials without a detailed development application process could cause unacceptable streetscape and neighborhood safety issues''.

I just hope a witch hunt hasn't been evoked. It is a real pity we don't have the same public image as the amateurs in the US have. Maybe the WICEN thing needs re-thinking and readjusted to market our hobby better. I am the last one to advocate following the yanks in any regard, but they have been successful. I don't have the answers but that has to be one of the variables that needs thought.

Good work Roger stirring the pot may help in the long run.

Cheers
Tony VK2TS
Tony
VK2TS
VK3ALB
Forum Diehard

Post by VK3ALB »

VK2TS wrote: It is a real pity we don't have the same public image as the amateurs in the US have. Maybe the WICEN thing needs re-thinking and readjusted to market our hobby better. I am the last one to advocate following the yanks in any regard, but they have been successful.
Perhaps not as successful as you may think. I've read a number of articles in QST where restrictive covenants are cited as a reason for experimenting with "stealth" aerials and the like. I know there was some push to get amateur masts enshrined in US legislation but I think that got put on hold by the current administration. I imagine the guys in the US have the same problems as us and amateurs all over the world are fighting for this very same cause.

Well done Roger, I imagine the SMH web masters would have noticed a small but significant blip following the number of accesses to the article.
Lou - VK3ALB

Being right doesn't excuse bad behaviour
VK4BLP

Post by VK4BLP »

VK2ZRH wrote:Story in Sydney Morning Herald today, Thursday 31 October 2012. Online here:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/amateur- ... 28hno.html
Good work at getting an article written, but like others have mentioned the quote in the last paragraph :-
''allowing higher aerials without a detailed development application process could cause unacceptable streetscape and neighbourhood safety issues''
Is really frustrating to see claims that we don't care about neighbourhood safety.

None of us would go to the effort of putting up a tower without ensuring that it will never fall down with our carefully crafted antennas. Sure there's been cyclones that have come through an area and knocked down a tower or two, but has also ripped a few houses apart at the same time.

Allowing 20m plus towers might cause 'unacceptable streetscape' , but we're not talking about towers that high but ones up to 10m tall, that even in suburbier aren't all that apparent when stood next to a 2 storey house.

Even though I live in Queensland, I am very interested to see how things work out down in NSW, as no doubt it will filter through up here eventually. A good result in NSW will help us in Qld, but if it goes pear-shaped down there, it's just as likely to make life more difficult up here.
VK2TS
Frequent Poster

Post by VK2TS »

My application went in today. I hope common sense prevails and they listen this time. I am going to do the RTO accredited WIA Emergency Communications training for two reasons.
1: The most important reason - It would be handy to have if we have a natural disaster and need to be able to liaise with other emergency accredited operators/services
2: It adds weight to our existence and argument that we deserve consideration due to the special nature of our service.

By the way it is much cheaper as a financial WIA member. Just another reason to join the WIA.

Cheers
Tony
VK2TS
Tony
VK2TS
VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Thank you, Tony.

Enjoy the course.

VK2ZRH
Forum Diehard

Post by VK2ZRH »

Latest news on the WIA website, here: http://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2 ... /index.php

Posted in the interests of spreading the news :D